DVDVR Message Board

[NXT Spoilers] OCT 24, 2018 (Taped 10/17)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I fucking love Adam Cole and the rest of UE so much. They may be the except to the size rule because their mic work is outstanding.

Pre-NXT, I was always a little luke warm on them. Roddy had no personality, O'Reilly was a bootleg Davey Richards, Cole wasn't believable as an indy super-worker because he looked so unimpressive. Fish was the only one I really felt was close to a complete package.  But they've all been outstanding over the past year and change. The gimmick still kind of comes off a little like NWO Vanilla Midget sometimes, but they're all doing great work right now.  

God, I hate the vanilla midget term. Kevin Nash can go fuck himself. If the ground opened, and swallowed Kevin Nash, it would be a small step toward the world being a better place. 

Roderick's personality is best displayed when he's a heel. His frat boy, jock personality shines in the UE, as it did in the No Remorse Corps.

Cole isn't a superworker. I don't think he was ever pushed as one. He's a conniver and will do whatever is neccessary to win. More importantly in WWE, he can talk. 

I think the biggest improvememt has been Kyle O'Reilly. His wrestling ability was never in question, but he's come a long way in the character department. It really started to develop when he and Fish teamed as ReDRagon. Teaming with Bobby Fish has probably been the best thing for O'Reilly thus far in his career.

• Like 1

So what do you do with the elephant in the room that is Candice?  You surely can't pretend she isn't aware of what's going on with Gargano. Turn her heel? Have her be Liz and have Johnny grab a heel to watch his back(Vanessa Borne? Lacey Evans?) until the inevitable babyface reunion down the road?

1 hour ago, Peck said:

So what do you do with the elephant in the room that is Candice?  You surely can't pretend she isn't aware of what's going on with Gargano. Turn her heel? Have her be Liz and have Johnny grab a heel to watch his back(Vanessa Borne? Lacey Evans?) until the inevitable babyface reunion down the road?

I'd start with a quasi-turn for Candice. She doesn't necessarily agree with Johnny's tactics, but she still supports and loves her husband. She sees how being more aggressive and doing whatever it takes is leading Johnny to more success, which makes her reassess herself and her lack of success. She also looks at what an attitude change did for Tomasso Ciampa. After doing so, she goes ALL IN with Johnny's new mean streak.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peck said:

On the post show they showed her doing a WTF face at him as he stormed past

I forgot how much I missed Hero's "oh hey little buddy! you gonna "suplex" me huh? Haha that's adorable" act

Yeah, KO dragging another indie to the tree of woe is freakin entertaining. It's like the opposite of Cena's US open challenge yet almost as captivating. Love this week's jobber... he was pretty damn fun to watch.

I hate that I'm getting used to Chiampa's theme song.

Also, thank you for the lady who yelled "shut up!" to the jokester in the crowd, at least it seemed she did because I didn't notice any more badly timed snide giggles after that.

4 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

On the post show they showed her doing a WTF face at him as he stormed past

I forgot how much I missed Hero's "oh hey little buddy! you gonna "suplex" me huh? Haha that's adorable" act

These days, you'd have to be some kind of Swiss Superman to suplex Hero.

I am going to have to go against the grain here as the Undisputed Era really strikes me as hamstrung by the "NXT-Good-Match" Model (where the good match comes before anything including the story when it comes to name talent).  Where Cole loses the North American title with the UE not showing up at all and also the triple threat match and then losing to EC3 when all 4 of them are there.  It makes them appear as an afterthought until after the match is over.  It seems especially striking when Cole the leader seems to get less benefit out of the union than the grunts Strong and O'Kick Pads.

Aliyah looked good in defeat to me.  She's really putting together the heel mannerisms and attitude together and would benefit from a soft rebuild.  Establish a moveset and finish for her and she can move up the card.  I feel like this is the time to make that move.  Yim looked good and may have oversold a minor bit post match.  I think the look works but it needs to translate more directly to her work or character.  So it looks cool, but I don't know that it says anything about her.

I know Ohno's look has long been a topic of conversation for time immemorial but he would look so much better with shorts or long pants than trunks.  Thought the squash worked out well (loved the leap frog getting a pop for Xavier).  I think though they might be able to get more out of the KO artist gimmick if he actually knocked someone out and took a ten count victory every once in a while.

On 10/25/2018 at 3:37 PM, Craig H said:

I fucking love Adam Cole and the rest of UE so much. They may be the except to the size rule because their mic work is outstanding.

This. I've changed my opinion on them and Adam Cole, namely, in recent weeks. They are so much fun live.