DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NBA: FIRST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

The dynastic value of a top 5 NBA player is unmatched in any other team sport.  5 guys on the floor and all that. Acquiring one of those top 5 players should be the ultimate goal of every team. 

I was as critical of the Hinkie method as anyone, but he is proven right every time Joel Embiid steps foot on the court. (And Embiid ain't even top 5 just yet).

They can fiddle around with the draft odds all they want.  As long as there are Zions out there roaming the earth tanking will be inevitable.

I don't think it's necessarily worth it every year but it will be this year for the Duke guys.

Three team trade happening: Ariza to the Wiz, Oubre to the Grizz, Selden/Brooks/Rivers to the Sun's. Not sure this really moves the needle for anyone except maybe the Suns get even worse somehow.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The fact that it’s Ernie Grunfeld’s fault makes me so happy

It actually might not be...

I fully expect some kind of local meme to come out now since:

1.  Scott Brooks coaches the Wiz

2.  The Caps have Brooks Orpik on their team (and in fact at one point had two Brooks at the same time...)

18 hours ago, Jrag said:

The dynastic value of a top 5 NBA player is unmatched in any other team sport.  5 guys on the floor and all that. Acquiring one of those top 5 players should be the ultimate goal of every team. 

I was as critical of the Hinkie method as anyone, but he is proven right every time Joel Embiid steps foot on the court. (And Embiid ain't even top 5 just yet).

They can fiddle around with the draft odds all they want.  As long as there are Zions out there roaming the earth tanking will be inevitable.

I don't think it's necessarily worth it every year but it will be this year for the Duke guys.

I get the method and the value, I just don't respect it. I'm a fan of a team I want them to win. If I became a fan that complained that my team won because they're ruining draft position I'd hate myself. People pay lots of money to watch a team try to win. If their goal is to not win the games should be free.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I get the method and the value, I just don't respect it. I'm a fan of a team I want them to win. If I became a fan that complained that my team won because they're ruining draft position I'd hate myself. People pay lots of money to watch a team try to win. If their goal is to not win the games should be free.

They don't have the talent to win in a meaningful way. And they are less likely to have the talent to win when Lauri is in his prime if they continue down the path they have been on for the last few years.

I want them to win as much as anyone.  It's nonsense to suggest otherwise. If i'm at the game I would obviously root for them to play well and win, but the long view suggests a better chance of success with tanking what is already a lost season.  

The reason I am rooting for a tank is that I have a realistic view of our front office.  They do not have a good reputation. They treat players poorly, undermine coaches and consider the health of their players a secondary concern. Top tier FAs will not come here despite being in a great city/big market.  And doing completely regressive things like signing Rondo, old Wade and hometown kid Jabari Parker to sell jerseys is not trying to win (or trying to tank) it's just shitty sports capitalism.

Oh yeah.  And I've seen Duke play this year.

PS: The prices do drastically change with the success of the team in most markets. I used to get a ticket/hot dog/soda combo for 6 bucks when I went to watch the pre-grindhouse Grizz.

How low did the ticket prices get in Process Philly? Im sure a few people here could answer that one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I totally get what you are saying, but my beloved Pistons are currently in a stretch where they have won zero post season games and gotten zero top five picks in a decade. At least twice, ownership has flat out refused to allow a rebuild/tear down, resulting in the wheels continuing to spin to nowhere while coaches and executives have gotten fired for not winning. It's miserable. 

• Like 2

I am ever the optimist when it comes to the Pistons, but you hit the nail on the head. 

They've shown that they can hang with the best teams in the league this season, but they also get shook by injuries and there's been nights where Blake is having to put the entire team on his back just to even be competitive. They're laced with some awful contracts, have made some terrible decisions in the draft, and goddamn, do I want Reggie Jackson gone.

On 12/15/2018 at 2:37 PM, Jrag said:

They don't have the talent to win in a meaningful way. And they are less likely to have the talent to win when Lauri is in his prime if they continue down the path they have been on for the last few years.

I want them to win as much as anyone.  It's nonsense to suggest otherwise. If i'm at the game I would obviously root for them to play well and win, but the long view suggests a better chance of success with tanking what is already a lost season.  

The reason I am rooting for a tank is that I have a realistic view of our front office.  They do not have a good reputation. They treat players poorly, undermine coaches and consider the health of their players a secondary concern. Top tier FAs will not come here despite being in a great city/big market.  And doing completely regressive things like signing Rondo, old Wade and hometown kid Jabari Parker to sell jerseys is not trying to win (or trying to tank) it's just shitty sports capitalism.

These are all the reasons for tanking, but it is an example where the players also have some responsibility due to this being an era of one-and-dones:

With the rise of tanking as a serious gameplan in the NBA, JUST ONCE, I'd love to see a can't miss lottery pick one and done who has top pick potential see the draft lottery, see that a team that tanked won the draft, and say "You know what? I don't want to play for a team that's this dire. They tanked, they clearly don't have the weaponry to help me win. I'm going back to school for my sophomore year so I don't have to play for these guys..." if not a senior player trying to pull the Danny Ferry move and say "Nope, I'm not playing for this tanking team. I intend to sign in Europe or China."

Jesus. I feel so bad for this young man. Celebrity is fucking crazy. Being a multi-millionaire before you can even drink, or even know what being an adult is fucking crazy. And now he gets to watch his private life dragged out, as people try to sort out how he went from being a can't miss prospect to a can't hit shooter.

On 12/15/2018 at 1:45 PM, Jrag said:

I made my mother -in-law and my wife cry with this. Also myself. Thanks

• Like 1

The guy in the Post today trying to push a Poor James Dolan narrative can go get completely fucked. Just yesterday the fucking guy refuses to admit his organization was totally vile and disgusting in the Browne-Saunders case, spinning it like HE was the victim.