DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NBA: FIRST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, Cole Miner said:

Man trading Shamet is kind of a let down but BOBAN~! 

Harris is basically the perfect guy to fill out the starting lineup.

He's a good player on a ridiculously friendly contract (how Orlando got both him and Aaron Gordon to sign declining deals is beyond me) that is now an expiring deal. The perfect guy to get traded. Orlando to Detroit to LAC to Philly now.

Pistons are sending Stanley Johnson to Milwaukee for Thon Maker.  I don't like it, but I understand it.

I'm not sure what Philly is doing as there's no way they can pay all four of Simmons/Butler/Harris/Embiid.

Johnson has regressed every year he's been in the NBA, but he's still young, long, and athletic. He's shown flashes of being an elite defender but he can't shoot at all. I think he's a perfect change of scenery guy. Maker needs minutes, and he'll get more on a going nowhere Detroit team than a contending Milwaukee team. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Detroit was really thin at the wing before these trades. Now they're rice paper.

So, Windhorst is saying the Pelicans had no intention of making any deal with the Lakers, and only went through the conversations in order to be able to leak the details, in effort to destabilize the Lakers chemistry, as petty revenge for what they see as concerted effort by LeBron, Magic, Rich Paul and AD to get Davis to L.A.

And I so hope that's true because it's hilarious.

• Haha 4

Can't say I'm a fan of how the Mavs handled the Barnes trade. Pretty shitty to do it in the middle of a game. I agree that he needed to be moved(and he'll be good for SAC), since that's 25 mil off the books this summer, but I feel like it's a trade that could have been made in the summer if the Mavs still had any playoff aspirations.

Yeah, but Sacto felt they had the aspirations now, and they didn't give up much.  They might be the best bet for the 8 now, since both LA teams stink/are selling and Minnesota is a dumpster fire. Though their conference record is worrying, and why do you want to be the 7 or 8 just to get bounced by Den/GS.

Given all the pearl clutching about the timing, when I saw the Isaiah line at the bottom of his Twitter post, I heard Jules Winnfield in my head before reminding myself, "No, that was Ezekiel (and not really even that)."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wizards also traded Markieff Morris to NO for Wesley Johnson

I am assuming all this will get Ernie Grunfeld a 5 year extension

Sounds like they're just trying to avoid the luxury tax.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

Yeah, but Sacto felt they had the aspirations now, and they didn't give up much.  They might be the best bet for the 8 now, since both LA teams stink/are selling and Minnesota is a dumpster fire. Though their conference record is worrying, and why do you want to be the 7 or 8 just to get bounced by Den/GS.

Given all the pearl clutching about the timing, when I saw the Isaiah line at the bottom of his Twitter post, I heard Jules Winnfield in my head before reminding myself, "No, that was Ezekiel (and not really even that)."

Sactown has that new arena and would love to have a playoff series to fill it.

There is something to be said about making your first playoffs in years. There also isn’t going to be much of a difference between draft picks, pending the very small chance you move up significantly. 

I say go for it and hope to have a game where Buddy hits 8 3s.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Sounds like they're just trying to avoid the luxury tax.

Its exactly what they are doing because apparently reports today is that they aren't making any more trades and they think they will still make the playoffs.

Please never change Wizards

Mirotic to the Bucks (via Pelicans & Pistons) for Jason Smith, the whiplashed Stanley Johnson, and a pile of second-rounders. (Damn you Zimbra!)

The Celtics look doomed.  So do the Raptors, if Lowry keeps underperforming.  Problem is, if the standings hold, we'd get Bucks/Sixers in the semis, so one of the two gets squeezed out of the ECF.  Sixers need to get on a really hot streak (Boston is 9-1 in their last 10 w/ 5 in a row).

Odd thing is, Boston probably still has the best bench of the top 4 in the East.  Wonder how much that will matter.