DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NBA: FIRST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Davis is trying hard to make the Lakers trade happen, and the Lakers really shouldn't be confident they can get him when he's a free agent after what happened with Paul George.

I agree and disagree.  I think the assumption was that Paul George wanted to go to LA.  Davis is flat out saying "I want to go to LA" to the point that he is being fined for it.  

Speaking of George, Thunder after looking dead in the water a few weeks ago now look the deadliest they have been since Durant left.  PG is playing his best ball in years and Russell is suddenly not taking so many fucking stupid shots (and still getting his coveted triple-double stat).  I assumed Houston would get their shit together by now, but we may be looking at a Warriors/Thunder WCF.  What's lost in how well OKC is playing is that Denver and Portland are keeping up.

Davis seems to be really committed to signing with the Lakers, but if other teams can push that off until summer of 2020 it brings up the one possibility that no one really wants to consider: Lebron has a metric ton of mileage on his body and there is no guarantee he can go another 100+ games without a legitimate scary injury as while he appears to be an alien, if he is in fact human then something like that happening becomes more and more likely as time goes on. If he were to say suffer the same achilles tear that Kobe did and the Lakers haven't yet manage to acquire a second superstar before then it suddenly becomes a much less attractive destination.  

The NBA in particular moves fast, it looked very different 18 months back and will almost certainly look very different 18 months from now. Another team investing in Davis for that period is a risk, but I don't buy anything that far off being inevitable.

• Like 1

I don't like it or the way it's playing out but AD to the Lakers sounds like a done deal.  He'll make it clear that he won't re-sign with anyone else and that's going to dead much of the interest out there.  Lakers offered Kuz, Rondo, Ball and a first.  Pelicans saw that as a non starter but I'm wondering what choice do the Pels really have?  They could be spiteful and just shelve Anthony Davis but that'd be a bad look and then they end up getting nothing.  They might have to actually accept a weak offer from L.A.  

Kyrie is a guy that nobody can figure out.  Sure it sounded like he was committed to Boston but then things weren't as easy as he hoped.  The young guys had to get used to their new roles and Hayward is a shell of his former self. I don't think Kyrie leaving Boston is a done deal but I'd put it around 50/50. If they end up losing Kyrie for nothing it really fucks up Ainge's master plan he's been working on for years now.  

I don't know if Kyrie to NYK makes a lot of sense. It does if Durant is also going but I don't think Durant is leaving GSW despite what people say about his "tainted rings" etc.  Life for him in Cali is really fucking easy right now,  I just don't see him giving that up and not for New York where the media would eat him alive.  

Kyrie by himself in New York (or with a couple guys on Tobias Harris level) is laughable.  Yes,  he'd be a hero in the garden and it'd make NY basketball exciting again but they would be a terrible team.  I can already see him bitching 4 months in when they're 23-21 and holding on to a 7 seed. 

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't like it or the way it's playing out but AD to the Lakers sounds like a done deal.  He'll make it clear that he won't re-sign with anyone else and that's going to dead much of the interest out there.  Lakers offered Kuz, Rondo, Ball and a first.  Pelicans saw that as a non starter but I'm wondering what choice do the Pels really have?  They could be spiteful and just shelve Anthony Davis but that'd be a bad look and then they end up getting nothing.  They might have to actually accept a weak offer from L.A.  

Kyrie is a guy that nobody can figure out.  Sure it sounded like he was committed to Boston but then things weren't as easy as he hoped.  The young guys had to get used to their new roles and Hayward is a shell of his former self. I don't think Kyrie leaving Boston is a done deal but I'd put it around 50/50. If they end up losing Kyrie for nothing it really fucks up Ainge's master plan he's been working on for years now.  

I don't know if Kyrie to NYK makes a lot of sense. It does if Durant is also going but I don't think Durant is leaving GSW despite what people say about his "tainted rings" etc.  Life for him in Cali is really fucking easy right now,  I just don't see him giving that up and not for New York where the media would eat him alive.  

Kyrie by himself in New York (or with a couple guys on Tobias Harris level) is laughable.  Yes,  he'd be a hero in the garden and it'd make NY basketball exciting again but they would be a terrible team.  I can already see him bitching 4 months in when they're 23-21 and holding on to a 7 seed. 

Yeah, but for the amount of obvious tampering that's gone on, I think NO is going to hold on to him at least through the summer. Another franchise tampered with your franchise player and you just say thank you sir may I have another? They might do a trade, but I'd be shocked if its before the deadline.

8 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Yeah, but for the amount of obvious tampering that's gone on, I think NO is going to hold on to him at least through the summer. Another franchise tampered with your franchise player and you just say thank you sir may I have another? They might do a trade, but I'd be shocked if its before the deadline.

I'd love for New Orleans to stick the screws to him and LA. I feel for the Pels because they did put talent around AD and they've underachieved. I think that's a blemish on AD also.. they should be over .500 with that roster.

• Like 3

Definitely. But in Milwaukee?

I'm not ripping on the city, but he'd be the first NBA star to want to come to the northern Midwest in decades. When Detroit was contending every year, the only guys they got were McDyess and washed Webber. Stars never want to come to this part of the country for a sport played in the winter.

Don't tease me with a world where Anthony Davis and Giannis Antetokounmpo play together and Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis play together. I need this and want a 7 game series to decide the better team (the former). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not ripping on the city, but he'd be the first NBA star to want to come to the northern Midwest in decades. When Detroit was contending every year, the only guys they got were McDyess and washed Webber. Stars never want to come to this part of the country for a sport played in the winter.

How could you forget the summer of Ben Gordon and Charlie V

20 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

John Wall slipped at home and ruptured his achilles.  He'll be out at least 12 months.

Goddamn, that is awful.

I am officially a terrible person because I can't stop laughing

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

John Wall slipped at home and ruptured his achilles.  He'll be out at least 12 months.

Goddamn, that is awful.

Well, that's one way to prevent the Knicks trading for him. 

• Haha 1

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-anthony-davis-trade-talks-20190205-story.html

The Lakers have “pulled out” of any more conversations in trying to acquire New Orleans All-Star Anthony Davis because of the Pelican’s “outrageous” trade requests, according to a person with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly.

Magic Johnson, the Lakers president of basketball operations, told New Orleans general manager Dell Demps Tuesday morning that Los Angeles had made its best offer that the Pelicans had wanted, but that the Lakers were not willing to add anything else and would be moving on, a person said.

OHHHHH HO HO HO HO HO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An Oladipo-less Pacers team hands the Lakers one of their worst beatdowns in franchise history.  I can see why the Pelicans don't want anyone LA is offering.  Either the LeBron injury destroyed this team's confidence or Ball is somehow better than we all thought, because this was a guaranteed playoff team at Christmas (a first round exit sure, but a playoff team), and they are absolute shit now.

I'll be surprised if Walton finishes the week.