DVDVR Message Board

October 2013 NHL Thread

Death From Above

"What's that Bruce? I can't hear you because I've got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears."

EDIT:

20:00

Posted ImageCol

Patrick Bordeleau (Game Misconduct (Head Coach) - 10 min)

20:00

Posted ImageCol

Bench (Leaving the Bench (Coach/Staff) - 2 min) served by Patrick Bordeleau

I said last said "i cant hear you, patrick. I've got two chicken wings in my ears."

Do you have specific examples of how fighting acts as a deterrent because that's a myth in my mind and there isn't any evidence to support your theory from what I've seen.

Well as Don Cherry once pointed out, teams didn't dare run Wayne Gretzky because they'd have to answer to Dave Semenko (and later Marty McSorley). That counts as a deterrent, no?

Seeing the Isles open in NJ and then the next night vs Cbus. Johnny Hockey!!!! Isles are going to be fun to watch. On a related note, I love that Sparky was in the Scotiabank commercial with the mascots, but sadly there was no Sabretooth. God I love Sabretooth!

I am playing two fantasy leagues this year, both giant ones, a 16 and a 20 team league. I took Tomas Hertl in the second last round of both those drafts since no one knows who he is and I'm already thinking that was probably a steal. I can see why the Sharks training camp chatter about him was so positive.

I think Patrick Roy wins this argument because he can play the "he's Bruce Boudreau, deep down everyone wants to bash him over the head" card as well.

The absurdity of Bruce Boudreau calling someone else immature is really being undersold.  The fat little guy who gets red faced and pounds the glass behind him.

Tim Thomas was his usual exciting self for 60 minutes. But that also leads to a wide open net on more than one occasion. And because of this it cost them a goal in the 2nd period. Still he looked like a stud in the win.

One game in ... already tired of the Vancouver media totally missing the point on Torts & shot blocking. 

His teams don't really block a higher % of shots by a significant margin.  Most successful teams do collapse to the net and have their guys block shots.  It's not really a Torts exclusive strategy at all.  The thing people need to pay attention with Torts & the Canucks is if his style of forecheck is sustaining enough offensive zone time for the team.  They were very aggressive against San Jose but that also leads to turnovers and guys being late getting back in the defensive zone.

There's also no evidence that suggests that Torts' Rangers team sustained any more injuries blocking shots than any other team.  That generally seems more random than anything else.  Burrows got injured blocking a shot on a 5 on 3 and some media types are tying it to Tortorella as if any decent penalty killer isn't going to block a shot on a 5 on 3.