DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Busting Down Cena's Doors - 10/15/2018

Dolfan in NYC

For what it's worth, Nikki really shouldn't be getting outclassed on the mic by someone who's been in the business for a year.  

And hey that McIntyre-Strowman hoss fight they're building to is going to ru.... Oh.  Right. Damn it. 

Rhonda is a fucking amazing promo already. She's taking so naturally to so many aspects of this. That was a looooong as promo and she not only had it memorized but she had it down so well it sounded natural and emotional rather than mechanical. She seems to be able to cry on command and looks legit crazy when she starts swaying around all agitated like a caged animal.

I missed the women's Battle Royal. Did something mess up that caused Cole to ignore the finish. He like mumbled it like it was a distraction. It was like...

yeahandDanaBrookestandstall MEANWHILE THIS OTHER THING HAPPENED LAST WEEK!!!

I've never heard a weirder call of anything from him in a lifetime of shitty calls.

I would have gone with Raw is Fear and Loathing in Philadelphia. I marked big time for the Hunter S. Thompson references.

I would love a Tamina/Nia feud, then eventually teaming to reek havoc on the women's division.

Ronda's promo was great. I'm a sucker for shooty promos like that. It's the ECW fan in me.

I liked Ambrose getting the win in the main event. I would rather see the Shield dissention being a ruse all along to split Braun & McZiggler. I'm far beyond driven being sick of Braun, but I could watch him powerslam Dolph over and over. Just about anyone repeatedly powerslamming Dolph would be nice. After Drew left, Braun should have gone back to powerslamming Ziggler.

• Haha 1

Yeah, that battle royal “ending” was weird as hell. 

God, that final hour was SLOWWWWW.

That shit with Lashley was fucking dumb. I love how Lio got himself over, Vince loved it, and felt the need to give him a gigantic IFB and feed him the dumbest crap to kill what Lio self-built. Never change, Vince. 

Good thing the third hour blew, by the way. Because that MNF game was nuts and way more entertaining.

Ronda's promo was pretty awesome.  I'm amazed she was able to sound as well as she did and be out there for so long.   Mickie was entertaining in the other promo segment. 

Oh and Sasha is back!!   Oh wait she's still in a feud with the Riot Squad.  We'll be gearing up for the election and they will still be feuding. 2020 that is. 

Battle Royal, really?  Sure we knew it was coming but a lot of really good women's wrestlers are going to be thrown into that,  shame they can't get burn even on a women's only PPV. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I missed the women's Battle Royal. Did something mess up that caused Cole to ignore the finish. He like mumbled it like it was a distraction. It was like...

The fact that it wasn't a battle royal made it one of the most ridiculously awkward segments in awhile. Ember & Nia defeat Dana & Tamina, so afterwards, because there is a battle royal in 2 weeks, Ember decides hmm maybe I should dump my partner over the top rope for no reason! On that note, it is disappointing that they just threw most of the roster into a battle royal for Evolution, including Asuka, but I guess that's to be expected. Made it seem like the card will be rather weak but I hadn't realized it is going to be 8 matches in the end.

the Shield dissension has been annoying but the finish here was fun, glad they overcame that. "Superman! Superman! VINTAGE Shield!" I'm all for McIntyre destroying Braun. the Ronda/Bellas segment ruled and the crowd was pretty hot for it.

• Like 1

I like that the battle royal for Evolution will actually have something worthwhile on the line though I wish it had some actual build to it.

That was easily the best promo Ronda has done though the Cena remarks felt like a bit much.

Nia vs. Tamina in tag was nice enough, but I want them as a tag team already just destroying people.

The Sheild breakup stuff was annoying, but I loved the six man tag and was so damn happy with that ending.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I guarantee you Vince had just seen that AI presser for the first time this afternoon, which is why we had that dog shit Trish/Lita segment. 

That was brutal. It's like they watched Bischoff's promo with the scissors comment to Sid and decided if it bombs, we'll just say it again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That was brutal. It's like they watched Bischoff's promo with scissors comment to Sid and decided if it bombs, we'll just say it again.

Oh god yes. Good call on that. 

Like George at the movies. 

“That’s gotta hurt! ...hurt!”

• Haha 2

I think I only watched like a third of the show tonight. Having too many cable problems to sit through a shitty show with shitty video. I have to hand it to Ronda. That promo was pure botchamania to start, but somehow she righted the ship and turned it into something great. I swear after she said The Bella's leech off their men's moves Brie looked like she wanted to cry.

I'm all for Lio Rush being Lashley's hype man. But the whole him on a microphone during a match and getting dead silence from the crowd is horrible. Did Vince watch some old Tony Atlas videos or something. Lashley being all pose down was so out of character. But you know you could hear Vince screaming over that little ear piece Lio has. COME ON DAMN IT. POP THOSE PECKS.

Elias continues to be amazing. He was being nice about what he said about the people of Philadelphia though.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That was brutal. It's like they watched Bischoff's promo with the scissors comment to Sid and decided if it bombs, we'll just say it again.

I'm not arguing it worked, but the bit was literally about saying "practice" over and over again. They weren't repeating it the way Bisch did. If they'd gone really accurate they would've went for another three minutes or so.

19 minutes ago, RIShane said:

While it got the desired crowd response, I thought the Ronda promo needed some more original material, given how many other wrestlers (Carmella, Nattie, AJ Lee) have already pulled out the 'Nikki slept her way to the top' canard.

It was the best material to go with considering its whats most of the audience likes to believe.

It’s amazing that the WWE will shit on the diva term and the women from that era as if they were not responsible for its creation and how they were all recruited and booked in the first place lol I agree that the “ha ha! Y’all slept y’all way to the top” stuff felt very been there done that and unnecessary, but most of the promo was fine. Ronda was fired up, The Bella’s came off suitably entitled, and the crowd were all into the segment. 

I never understand why they do those awkward “a battle royal or rumble is coming so I’ll randomly throw someone out of the ring after a match” moments, especially since the Evolution battle royal was literally just announced and the crowd seemed confused. But I was here for the Nia/Tamina exchanges. Having Tamina lift Nia has to be one of her best moments ever.

That Trish/Lita/Mickie/Alexa segment was hard to get through. But I liked what little we got of Nattie/Ruby. Would enjoy a proper match between the two. 

And just how many times are we going to see some combination of Jinder/Alicia/Bayley/Finn? And how many ways can the heels lose? Lol 

Wasn't Nikki already a centerpiece of the Divas division before she started dating Cena. Brie was definitely higher on the totem pole than Bryan when they got together. I mean, it got over huge with the crowd, but it struck me as way to close to the assholes chanting"you fuck x" or whatever at the RAW after Mania that one year. Or the posts that one asshole made here about Brie leaching Bryan's heat when he retired.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, RIShane said:

While it got the desired crowd response, I thought the Ronda promo needed some more original material, given how many other wrestlers (Carmella, Nattie, AJ Lee) have already pulled out the 'Nikki slept her way to the top' canard.

Well they were in a rush so they couldn't find the "cum guzzling sluts" promo from the Diva Search many years ago.  Some parts of the women's evolution is extremely slow based on Rousey's promo.  But the men loved it so I guess that is all that matters.

Although I will say that was the best I have ever seen from Chikara legend Icarus taking those judo throws from Rousey.  Mostly because we didn't have to see that embarrassing oversized  back tattoo he has.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wasn't Nikki already a centerpiece of the Divas division before she started dating Cena. Brie was definitely higher on the totem pole than Bryan when they got together. 

Pretty much. They'd each had a Diva's Title reign before they started dating them, had been involved in a number of storylines, and were regularly in the title scene.