DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC 2018 - EPISODE 7 (Quarterfinals)

RIPPA

Really liked Io/Deonna, great stuff. I knew it wouldn't happen but I wouldn't have minded Deonna winning on the last armbar spot, that ruled and added a little drama. Both looked excellent here. Meiko/Lacey was a fun extended squash.

Meiko/Lane was Lane's best showing and pretty fun while it lasted.

Io/Deonna was Deonna's best showing and pretty solid. I wonder if Io is afraid of kneeing someone again since she keeps overshooting the moonsault after murdering poor Xia with her knees in the first round.

Tegan/Rhea was as heartbreaking as I expected. Its always a shame to see an injury happen, especially with how much Tegan clearly wanted to continue. The match seemed like it had decent potential as well. I was kind of impressed with Rhea's ability to keep her shit together since that couldn't have been easy. Hopefully they have rematch when Tegan is healthy and able again.

Toni/Mia was good, especially towards the end.

This was a solid show aside from poor Tegan's injury. I'm really lookign forward to next week. I hope Toni/Meiko gets some decent time.

1 hour ago, Omega said:

Tegan posted the details of her injury. Torn lcl, mcl and acl. Dislocated knee cap, bone contusions and fracture on her tibia

Makes me wonder if it would have been as bad if Tegan had let the ref end it when she originally wanted to.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Proud papa Triple H remains the best Triple H.

Agreed. I love how happy he seems to be for the women in/from NXT every time they get a big moment.

• Like 2

Happy for Yim, and honestly I would rather it be her against Meiko, and sad for Nox. That was tough to watch. Admire her courage, but the match really should have ended right after it happened. Credit to Ripley for staying in character throughout and pulling a great Pete Dunne face when they announced her as the winner. 

Yeah, Ripley was fantastic in how she handled that. Meltzer said that Nox would have gone over had the injury not occurred.

I was surprised they couldn't spring for an ambulance ride for her rather than sticking her in the backseat of a sedan.

Tegan Nox's injury changed the trajectory for a few people's career over the next year it seems. 

Spoiler

It seems like the consensus is that  Nox was winning this tournament. The injury puts Toni Storm in the MYC finals and probably adjusts the booking of the UK Women's belt. It's illogical to think that Toni wouldn't have been belted up for the UK brand except now she's already booked for Evolution so they end up putting the UK belt on Rhea Ripley, which probably accelerates her push by a good bit. 

Edit for more speculation: also, with how Joshi-centric MYC and NXT women's booking has been, I think they're gonna have Toni win this now. 

Wait, wouldn't it have been Toni vs Tegan in the finals anyway, or did they adjust the bracket in-between taping and airing, and change it to Toni/Meiko on the night of?

This is the third major knee injury Nox has suffered in ten years. I know she's only 23, I know she's really good and has a ton of potential, but man, at some point you have to wonder if maybe athletics isn't the right career path.

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

Tegan Nox's injury changed the trajectory for a few people's career over the next year it seems. 

Hide contents

It seems like the consensus is that  Nox was winning this tournament. The injury puts Toni Storm in the MYC finals and probably adjusts the booking of the UK Women's belt. It's illogical to think that Toni wouldn't have been belted up for the UK brand except now she's already booked for Evolution so they end up putting the UK belt on Rhea Ripley, which probably accelerates her push by a good bit. 

Edit for more speculation: also, with how Joshi-centric MYC and NXT women's booking has been, I think they're gonna have Toni win this now.

This speculation is probably wrong.

Spoiler

Nox's opponent would have been Io. Nox wasn't beating Io. I think Nox would have taken the UK belt. I do agree that Toni is probably winning.

Didn't Chris Sabin blow out his knees one after another a year apart when he was in TNA? It was heart breaking to see her get injured on what looked like just a bad landing when she planted her feet after landing the suicide dive. I was honestly amazed she gutted it out, but I don't think the real injury came until she took that dropkick right before they stopped the match. It was after that she collapsed and realized how bad it was.

You have to give a lot of credit to Ripley for holding it together. I don't know how many other people man or woman could keep themselves professional like that in the same situation with the limited experience she has.

Io vs. Deonna was a fantastic match. That eventual rematch in NXT should be amazing.

Toni Storm vs. Mia Yim was also great. Mia has come so far in her career so it's great to see her be rewarded with an NXT deal.

For someone called "The Genius of the Sky" Io Shirai sure has problems hitting a moonsault. That's now 0 of 3, first round she hit too short hitting here opponent in with here knees in the stomach, second round she landed on the side and now she overshot. I assume she has problems with the bigger ring, but still.