DVDVR Message Board

Revolution Pro Wrestling debuts on UK TV (Freesports) 19/10

Heard all the buzz but never watched the promotion so I'll be tuning in. I assume they picked up 5 Star Wrestling's slot. Think they held tapings over a weekend last month.

Any UK peeps interested you can find it on:

Sky: Channel 422
Freeview: Channel 95
Virgin Media: Channel 553

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty bummed that it's on a channel that somehow isn't available in north Scotland. (well, I assume it's on Sky but not on Freeview)

As for whether you can watch it overseas? Well, I dunno. Try this link and if it works you can watch the show live (which would be Friday nights, 9pm GMT, so 5pm EST (until the clocks change in America and the time difference goes back to 5 hours, whenever that is). If the first 2 episodes are up online I certainly don't know where though.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 1, first match. Jushin Thunder Liger is in the ring. It's like Nitro all over again. Except Liger didn't wrestle Chris Brookes on the first Nitro, because Brookes would have been five years old at the time. It was pretty good. I'm not saying Liger hasn't lost a step or two, because he has. Oer three decades in the biz does that to you. But he's lost a lot fewer steps than One might expected him to.

The second match was a short squash win for Great O Kharn, who is a NJ young boy on excursion. And it was short to leave time for ZSJ and Kushida, who had a really good match as well. All in all, a good hour long Wrestling show. Lots of match time, not much interview/ angle time (there was a bit of that though. Sha Samuels wants to be Champ and is a heel. Colt Cabana wants to be Champ and is a face. They neglected to mention who the current champion was, however).

Episode 2: Colt Cabana vs Greg Burridge. Pretty Good. Roppongi 3K vs H x C. Disappointing, if I'm honest. El Phantasmo vs Chris Brookes. Really good. Better than Brookes' match with Liger on the previous show, actually.

Why is nobody else watching this? WoS I can understand, that was a bit cheesy. This is good current Wrestling.

Week 3, Team White Wolf (from Spain) faced Aussie Open (from Australia) in the Tag Team tournament. This tournament is to determine number one contenders for the Tag Titles that are held by Zach Sabre Jr and Minoru Suzuki. So I'm getting MiSuzuki on my telly at some future point. They still haven't mentioned who the singles Heavyweight champion is yet. 

David Cross (who says he should be the main champion because he shows up, unlike the Heavyweight belt holder whoever that is) defended his Cruiserweight title against Kurtis Chapman. Chapman was all skinny and was billed as weighing 150, Cross was 200lb+ and had two dozen nicknames. Same guy from CZW but he wasn't all scarred up like you'd think a CZW guy would be.

Recent graduate of the kid division Dan McGee faced high price free agent Sha Samuels and it looked fake because Samuels went 50/50 with him despite an 80lb weight advantage. Quick double DQ to build for a real match later. The main event with Rocky Romero was also cut short, thanks to interference from ZSJ.

Week 4 already aired. But this week's show is pre-empted for live Pool. Sports channels, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Personally, I'm not watching it because-

There's too much wrestling to watch already.

I don't much fancy the idea of watching selected highlights from a company if I won't be watching any of their major shows because they're on a streaming service. 

Having been to a couple of Rev Pro shows, the decent to excellent quality of the wrestling has always struggled against the naffness of the presentation. 

I'm a Progress season ticket holder, so have a bit of a WWF vs WCW style prejudice against the other London company. Plus, NXT UK is already testing my tolerance for seeing the same guys face off, and the prospect of that plus added James Castle doesn't do much to challenge it.

In fairness though, most of the above also applies to Impact, which I've currently allowed into my rotation as something to stick on for an hour over Saturday breakfast, so I'm open to swapping in Rev Pro if I hear good things.

Mainly when I've been before I've had issues with the shitty sound system at York Hall for the entrances, and Andy Quildan's ring announcing, which makes me cringe roughly as much as every British ring announcer who isn't Jim Smallman.

I'm mostly fine with current wrestling, but I do think every show everywhere should have a strictly imposed limit of one dive. And that's being generous. If I never see another cluster of wrestlers half heartedly pretending to brawl outside the ring while they wait to catch their opponent/tag partner who's risking severe injury for diminishing returns, I can very much live with it.

Oh, and one more - compete ban on backflipping out of a German Suplex. Sorry Messrs Dunne and Riddle, it was cool at first but it's outstayed its welcome and it makes me fucking nervous.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AxB said:

David Cross (who says he should be the main champion because he shows up, unlike the Heavyweight belt holder whoever that is) defended his Cruiserweight title against Kurtis Chapman.

I think that when this was taped RevPro were doing Ishii vs Suzuki feud for Heavyweight title in their PPVs so they probably didn't want to spoil who'll end up winning it. I suppose that at the next set of taping things will be made clear.

As for not watching it, I'd watch it if it was somehow available outside of UK.

There's a lot to like about this, in my opinion. It straddles the line between acting as an entry point for new fans (introducing the rules, laying the groundwork for featured characters) and appealing to the hardcore fans. There's a few storylines running through it that are easy to follow; even Sabre/Kushida sort of served the purpose of setting up Sabre/Ridgeway further down the line.

OK, week 4's show starts with the Arrows of Hungary (this is a very international Tournament, considering the winners just get to challenge for the British Tag Team titles) vs the Hunter Brothers. Dover Arrow hit a nifty double Powerslam (one guy on each shoulder) and then the Hunters did what looked like it was going to be a Sunset Flip - Missile Dropkick combination, but was actually a Buff Blockbuster - Both knees to the spine combo. Nice.

Then Dan McGee (who's ring jacket is open but joined by a big blue M on his chest, which makes it look like he's wearing a bra) was supposed to face young lion Michael Oku with Sha Samuels on commentary, but Sha slammed McGee on the floor before the match was started and Oku had to get squished by Great O'Kharn instead. But that left time for Josh Bodom (of AJPW, and it feels really odd even now to have AJ and NJ guys in the same promotion) to face M K Mckinnon. Nasty finish here, as a Tombstone on the Apron was just the set-up for a hanging Pendulum Piledriver thing. Looked nasty.

The veteran James Mason then took on Darell Allen. Mason is an old-school WoS type guy, and Allen, despite looking like an aging Johnny Kickpads kept up with that style. And then the finish came from out of nowhere, it looked like a guy forgot to kick out when he was supposed to.

The main event was El Phantasmo vs Johnathon Gresham. Good action, Gresham was smooth as hell, but it was all to set-up a tag match. Having said that, how often do you see a babyface hits finish, heel's partner drags ref out of the ring, ref remonstrates with partner, heel hits desperation low blow... and the ref sees the low blow and DQs the heel? Not often. Phantasmo & Liger vs CCK (Gresham & Chris Brookes) coming soon, no doubt. How many finishing moves do you want in your finishing sequence? Top rope Huracanrana (with the guy taking the move standing on the top rope, top rope Swanton Bomb, roll through, spring to top rope on opposite side, Moonsault, cover...

Week 6*, from tonight! Josh Bodom vs Kushida: Kushida wanted a handshake, but Bodom decided that he'd rather have a stiff striking battle instead. One sided to start with Borom as the bully and Kushida getting beaten up, but he turned it around (Bodom clipped the top rope with his Belly doing a tope con hilo and was lucky he didn't land very badly at one point in here), Kushida knocks Bodom loopy and shakes his hand while he's groggy, and there's a tight finish. Kushida used to tag with Alex Shelley, and he's very much in that mould. Which is good, because Alex Shelley was awesome.

They talk about last week, we saw a contender's match for the Cruiser belt and the winner was confronted by the Champion after. So either they're showing them out of order, or last weeks show that didn't happen, did happen and I didn't see it**.

Dan McGee vs Sha Samuels again. Samuels going with the Black and Yellow colour scheme, and working the grumpy lumpy heavyweight style, so he is your English Genichiro Tenryu. This match, unlike the previous 50/50 one between them was worked Bully vs kid style, and was all the way better for it. Either McGee was really hurt, or he's really good at selling bodypart damage while on offence. Hopefully the latter. Haven't seen someone counter a diving Tope with a chairshot for a good long while. Could go a good while without seeing it again, to be honest. Presumably there's a stipulated match between them coming up at some point.

Zach Sabre Jr vs Rocky Romero: They recapped the heat between Sabre and Chris Ridgeway before the match started, so most likely Ridgeway's getting involved in the finish here. But he didn't actually come out until it was actually over. So, this was Suzuki-Gun vs Chaos, and worked like it. Easily the longest match on the show so far, went like 18 or 19 minutes... it seemed like it was going to go two segments, but they didn't take a mid-match commercial break. Just had the last adverts end 35 minutes into the show, and then the hour ended on like 56 minutes instead of 60. It was a ZSJ match, if you hate him, it wouldn't win you over. He has this weird way of selling, where someone hits him and he looks more like he's frustrated that they did it, than that he's in pain because it hurt. Which is probably going to end up getting him stiffed a lot.

* Apparently last week's show did happen, but it didn't appear in the schedule so my TiVo didn't record it. They said which team won the last first round Tag Tournament match later on.

** The second one. I think it's getting replayed at some point though.

Week 7, and we kick off with the Hunter Brothers vs Johnny Storm & Jodie Fleisch (who apparently beat Gnarly Neon Explosion on the missing show*). Jodie has gained some muscle over the years, whilst Johnny is also heavier. Seems to have added some mat wrestling over the years as well, whilst Jodie is still a mad highflyer. Jim Hunter, not wanting to be outdone, pulls off a slingshot Oklahoma Roll - like Eddy's rolling Hilo thing, only into a roll-up. Lots of highflying... lots of big moves, and then a big move to finish. Yeah, good.

Carlos Romo of Team White Wolf vs Great O Kharn. Squishy McSquashy,, and I typed that before the match even started. Kharn is managed by Lord Gideon Grey, who has a mouth like a bloody horse. I don't mean he talks like a horse, I mean his actual mouth looks like a horse's mouth. Great O Kharn appears to be some sort of Genghis Khan gimmick, even though he's Japanese, not Mongolian. But he does do Mongolian Chops, so that's OK. Iron Claw Atlántida into an Iron Claw chokeslam. I dunno, he's on his excursion from NJPW but he's just doing squashes and I don't think this gimmick is the one he's going to use as an NJ senior.

Colt Cabana vs James Mason. Now we're cooking with gas. Got to love a match where both guys come out with ring jackets and a towel round the neck, and then wrestle in singlets. Total WoS style match, although Cabana spends most of the match trying to crack Mason up. But you look at the number of hard bumps they took in this whole match, and there were probably more in a single minute of the opener... and this was probably more entertaining. Afterwards Sha Samuels runs in and attacks Cabana, and Dan McGee makes the save. Luckily he's wearing jeans and a t shirt, so we don't have to see the M-Bra jacket.

Main event, David Cross (c) vs Kip Sabian for the British Cruiserweight Championship. Sabian was in the new WoS and is like another prettyboy Prince Devitt. David Cross has his epic ring introduction, courtesy of Generic Ring Announcer Number 3 (without notes). But the match doesn't really get going, kind of bitty and they don't gel... they try to turn up the intensity but it still doesn't really click... and then Cross walks out to intentionally lose by countout I thought the match was starting a bit late in the hour, but it was a bit of a down note to end the show on. Should have had this be in the semi-main spot, say you're starting it early because it's a title match and it might go long. Then have Mason & Cabana go on after this finishes early. That would have been a better paced show.

* Airing on Sunday night at 3 in the morning, it seems.

• Thanks 1

OK, week 5, airing between weeks 7 and 8. Number one contenders match for the Cruiserweight Championship, I wonder who could possibly win? But first, David Cross comes out to complain that it's not fair that the Tag belts get a whole entire tournament to determine number one contenders but he just gets three idiots in one match. And then does all of his nicknames himself, and then joins the commentary team. So this match is Team White Wolf's The A Kid (El Nino Anonimo) vs Kurtis Chapman (who already had a title shot in week 2 or 3) and Kip Sabian, See if this had aired before the winner's actual title shot, it might have had a bit of intrigue to it. Lots of one of us rests outside while the other two wrestle in the ring. Not so much a Wrestling match, as a series of Wrestling moves. Some of which were extremely impressive, but still, the heel commentator was complaining that A Kid did literally no moves that didn't involve him jumping. Sabian's music sounds a bit like Deep Purple, so that's good.

Great O Kharn now wrestles in what will no doubt be another squash. So I will note that Kevin Kelly's American accent makes him pronounce it 'Grado Khan', but I'm fairly sure Grado isn't going to be on this show. Darrell Allen was his opponent. Generic Evil foreigner offence! Gourdbuster to set up a reverse Vertical Suplex, that's a fairly OK finishing sequence.

Jody Fleisch & Johnny Storm vs Gnarly Neon Explosion in the tag tournament. GNE are Cassius & Chuck Mambo, one of whom has an unfortunate resemblance to Enzo Amore and the other of whom is either doing a camp person gimmick, or is just a camp person in general. Chuck Mambo is lanky Enzo, only he can actually do Wrestling moves. Cassius does precisely no wrestling moves for ages except a pattycakes double elbowdrop and a tope. Fleisch & Storm dominate, brief comeback with a twerking DDT, and then Storm & Fleisch hit British Airways for the win we already knew about.

Lots of time left for the main event of CCK (Jonathan Gresham & Chris Brookes) vs El Phantasmo & Jushin Liger. What does CCK stand for? Calamari Catch Kings, apparently. Gresham does some weak chops to set up Liger stiffing him with a shotei, but then they go into a Liger FIP segment. Hot tag, Phantasmo flying house of fire, tags Liger back in, another Liger FIP segment. Never seen a turnbuckle pad used as a foreign object, usually they take them off to use the exposed turnbuckle ring as a weapon. But no, Phantasmo goes for a Moonsault bodyblock and Brookes smacks the turnbuckle pad into his belly to set up the finish. And that's the show, we're all caught up.

Except it's pre-empted by Cage Warriors on the 14th. Even though Cage Warriors is also airing on BT Sport as well. Odd.

• Thanks 1

And now we have week eight, which is apparently the last one for a bit (it's not airing next Friday or the one after that). Maybe they only taped 8 shows... it has been very noticeable that everyone in the crowd has been in the same seat for the whole run so far. Presumably they're going to be coming back at some point. Can't see them getting cancelled for low ratings, when they're on a channel that nobody knows exists.

First up, we have HxC vs the Arrows of Hungary, in your 'we both got eliminated from the tag tournament so we might as well fight each other anyway' match. Based around the heels double suplexing on of the faces on the entrance ramp, and his partner then having to go it alone for most of the body of the match. Never seen a guy do a Fallaway Slam without leaving his feet, that was cool. I guess it's just an Away Slam. Still not totally convinced by HxC's crazy anarchists gimmick. It's that thing where you put a team together and the guy without the gimmick has to try and adopt the gimmick the other guy has, and it looks fake. Like he's playacting, when the guy who's gimmick he's joined seems like he is in every way the exact thing he says he is. Y'know, like Liv Morgan Tyler Jericho in the Riott Squad. They're supposed to be these punk heels, and Ruby seems like she really is who she says she is, but Liv seems like a nice girl trying to shock her parents, but not wanting to do anything that would actually offend them at all. This analysis of the Riott Squad is probably wasted in this thread.

Now, Chris Ridgeway vs Zach Sabre Jr. Two skinny guys wearing kickpads without kneepads, having a slap fight. Then they go into a 'Go on then, hit me' exchange, into the Pancrase duelling leglocks. Sabre must really like Ridgeway IRL, because he actually sells his moves like they actually hurt. Countering the Rolling Elbow with a flying Guillotine was nice. The Kimura- Falcon Arrow-Rear Naked Choke sequence was nicer. Countered into an Inside Toehold, which was in turn countered with a Dragon Sleeper. Yeah, once they got past the early dick measuring contest strike exchanges this was good. Flash KO finish out of nowhere. That was sudden not even a ten count, he gets kicked in the head, goes down and the ref calls it like he was John McCarthy reffing Sakuraba vs Silveira. Except it wasn't then changed to a no contest because of a bad stoppage. Post match mic work and it turns out he can talk a bit. Nationalise Pro Wrestling~!

And in the main event, the second semi final of the Tag Tournament. Aussie Open (Donkzilla Mark Davis & Aussie Arrow* Kyle Fletcher) vs Roppongi 3K (Sho & Yoh). So it's a Junior Heavyweight team against a big guy/ little guy team, but the little guy is bigger than both of Roppongi lads. I'm not saying this was a bad match, but it was a mistake to show it last. Didn't really work as well as the previous one. The sound man bit on a false finish, so expect this on the next Botchamania. Also meant the actual finish fell a bit flat, because it gave away who was going to win... if the sound man does that, maybe you should call an audible and have the other team win in the end instead. And that's that. Hopefully, they'll be back on telly soon, but there's nothing scheduled and it doesn't look like they've even announced another taping yet. We'll see.

All in all, a good couple of months worth of Wrestling television.

* Two Arrow gimmicks on the same show. I didn't know there were even two Arrow gimmicks in Pro Wrestling. And I thought the one one was that actor Cody Rhodes likes.

• Thanks 1