DVDVR Message Board

BOUND FOR GLORY 2018

RIPPA

Real fun opening tag with an awesome finishing stretch. Disappointing open challenge for Eli but a decent enough overall segment. Tessa/Taya ended up pretty great, I love the flying codebreaker as Tessa's super finish. Dreamer was my guess for Eli's open challenge so cool of him to show up after all, and logical knowing Kross had to be involved in the show somewhere. oVe rules was brutal, definitely did not expect Cage to be taking the fall in that one but good stuff.

Was sad when they predictably took out Konnan before the match so he wouldn't end up wrestling after building it as his return to the ring, but glad he ended up at least getting involved in the finish. Match was a cool spectacle but shorter than I would've thought for the Final War. A memorable blowoff nonetheless to one of the best feuds of the year. The Undead Realm mini-movie was very bizarre but entertaining, I thought they had announced their would be a match between them but I guess not.

Awesome main event. They brought the heat, hate, and intensity with a great big time feel and a solid worked shoot feel to things. Loved the opening brawl exchange and the strikes throughout, lots of great moves from both. Loved the killer apron DVD and Aries' 450 then Johnny's spanish fly. I figured Aries pinning Johnny on Impact meant a title change here but they did a great job making me doubt it still by putting Kross & Moose back and Taya at ringside, though I was surprised Kross & Moose did nothing. The ending suicide dive spot was a really great oh shit moment. The only weird/worrying bit was the way the finish went down with Aries popping up immediately afterwards and walking out like that, but it might just be more added fire to the worked shoot part of this feud. It looked like Aries was pointing up at Callis saying something before he walked off, hopefully it is just more part of his character. Cool moment/victory for Johnny, after not winning in the main of last year's BFG. Overall a real good solid show, I don't think it was as spectacular as Slammiversary but pretty good all the way through. Looking forward to the followup as usual.

Full results:

*Rich Swann & Willie Mack def. Matt Sydal & Ethan Page (12:37) when Swann pinned Sydal with the Phoenix Splash

-Backstage, Ortiz & Santana found Konnan laid out. Konnan said it was King and told LAX to go ahead without him so it would be 3 on 2.

*Eli Drake def. James Ellsworth (2:13) after two Gravy Trains. After the match, Eli said he came for the best, he wanted top guys, he wanted 'Hall of Fame' competition... which brought out 2018 Impact HOFer Abyss. They brawled ending with Abyss chokeslamming Eli through a table.

*Tessa Blanchard(c) def. Taya Valkyrie (10:41) after a flying codebreaker to retain the knockouts championship.

*Eddie Edwards def. Moose via DQ.. (0:50) when Killer Kross interfered. Afterwards, Moose & Kross attacked Eddie until Tommy Dreamer made the save, setting up a tag team match...

*Eddie Edwards & Tommy Dreamer def. Moose & Killer Kross (8:44) in a tornado tag match when Eddie pinned Moose with a rollup. After the match, Moose & Kross attacked Eddie and gave him an apron powerbomb.

*oVe (Sami Callihan, Dave Crist, & Jake Crist) def. Pentagon Jr., Fenix, & Brian Cage (13:35) in an oVe Rules Match when Callihan pinned Cage after a piledriver

-Backstage, McKenzie Mitchell interviewed Austin Aries, who mocked Johnny coming back to Impact when he pleases and pretending like it's his life. Aries said things have gotten too personal and he doesn't trust Johnny after their press conference brawl so he's changed his mind about not having Moose and Kross ringside with him and told Johnny to bring Taya so she can watch up close when he beats him.

*LAX (Konnan, Ortiz, & Santana) def. the OGz (King, Homicide, & Hernandez) (9:33) in the Concrete Jungle Deathmatch to win the Final War with the Street Sweeper on King after Konnan came out towards the end of the bout to aid LAX in victory.

-Allie armed with an axe entered a coffin to transport to the Undead Realm. Father James Mitchell informed her that Su had Kiera Hogan upstairs in the chapel. Allie killed two undead bridesmaids with her axe on her way to Kiera until Su rose up behind her and they brawled, ending with Allie stabbing Su in the neck with her axe. Allie then rescued Kiera Hogan and tried to leave but they couldn't get the coffin open then Mitchell told Allie that he promised to get her in but said nothing about getting her out. More Undead Bridesmaids surrounded Allie & Kiera until Rosemary appeared to save them. Rosemary told Allie & Kiera to go though Allie didn't want to leave without her. Su Yung returned and had a battle of supernatural forces with Rosemary while Allie & Kiera were transported out of the Undead Realm. Allie wanted to go back but Kiera said Rosemary told them to go so it's ok then Allie said in a demonic voice that it's not okay..

-It was announced that Impact will return to PPV on January 6 with "Homecoming" live from The Asylum in Nashville, TN

*Johnny Impact (w/ Taya Valkyrie) def. Austin Aries (w/ Killer Kross & Moose) (21:06) with Starship Pain to WIN the Impact Wrestling Worlds Heavyweight Championship. After the match, Aries popped up, seemed to motion towards Don Callis and quickly left with a middle finger in the air while Johnny celebrated with Taya.

5 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Dream having finished Impact this week right before 8 pm they said Allie vs. Su Yung at Bound for Glory but the key as it turns out was Father James Mitchell saying it would take place in the undead realm in the segment between them. 

Right, I just thought that meant it would be an actual match inside the Undead Realm but whatever it was, was rather entertaining.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. I loved the opening tag match. It was the perfect way to start the show. Tessa/Taya may have been my favorite match of the night. I also love Tessa's flying Codebreaker being her ultimate finish.

I have to admit, I was disappointed there was no Jericho. I would have gone with Tommy Dreamer as Eli's opponent after Ellsowrth and had Abyss come out to save Eddie Edwards. I like Eddie getting the win with a roll-up in a hardcore brawl. It's like no matter how far out there he may be, he still can rely on his pure wrestling ability. I liked oVe vs. the Lucha Bros. & Cage. Sami getting the pin on Cage was shock and I imagine it will set up an X-division title match between the two.

The OGz/LAX match was crazy. I definitely couldn't have expected they'd have a match in a deconstructed ring. I hope nobody was seriously injured. I wonder where the OGz go from here. I hope this isn't end for them. Eddie Kingston's promos are what basically sealed the deal on me ordering the show.

I was hoping we would get an actual match between Allie and Su, but what we got was entertaining in the same way the OGz/LAX mini movies have been. I'm really glad Rosemary is back. I can't wait for Rosemary vs. Su.

The main event lived up to the hype. I agree that Aries and Impact brought the hate and they had a really solid match. I loved Don Callis going off about what a scumbag Aries is, especially after he hit the dive on Taya. I liked that it was a clean match without interference from Moose and Kross. The ending caught me off guard with Aries no-selling the finish and storming off. I'm pretty sure that it's more fuel for the worked shoot between them. 

Oh yeah, I have to mention Moose's dashiki. Moose adding some Prince Nana to his character would be highly entertaining.

• Like 2

Ugh, that finish. If that's not a shoot then it's fucking dumb. There's better ways of getting people to talk about your shit. 

If it was a shoot, then fuck Austin Aries. Unprofessional vanilla midget. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Was sad when they predictably took out Konnan before the match so he wouldn't end up wrestling after building it as his return to the ring, but glad he ended up at least getting involved in the finish.

I will never be sad about Konnan not wrestling

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will never be sad about Konnan not wrestling

Was Konnan ever good? What's his best match ever? Is it a six man he was barely featured in?

I always kind of got a Mexican Ultimate Warrior vibe from him. Like he's over because of his physique and his push, not because of his work. Although his promos are a lot more accessible than Warrior's were.

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Ugh, that finish. If that's not a shoot then it's fucking dumb. There's better ways of getting people to talk about your shit. 

If it was a shoot, then fuck Austin Aries. Unprofessional vanilla midget. 

Can you be vanilla if you're cutting some of the best promos in wrestling? Of all things to call Aries, I wouldn't go with vanilla. He's really good at all things wrestling but he's out of time in terms of his behaviour. Would've fit in like a glove in the '80s (if he were a foot taller).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Can you be vanilla if you're cutting some of the best promos in wrestling? Of all things to call Aries, I wouldn't go with vanilla. He's really good at all things wrestling but he's out of time in terms of his behaviour. Would've fit in like a glove in the '80s (if he were a foot taller).

I felt like saying something mean about him being a little dick.