DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 76 (for those not playing RDR2)

CSC

• 2 weeks later...

So, day before launch and I'm not sure if much of anybody on here is gonna be playing this other then me, but just wanted to put some thoughts on here to determine if you guys might like this game, as it is sorta a new thing.

-First off: There is a LOT of misinformation about this game going around everywhere, to an absolutely absurd degree. From that people can steal your personal information from it (proved false), to there being a subscription fee (what?), to it being pay to win (there is a store, but it's all cosmetic, and the currency can be acquired in game pretty easily. I was able to buy a paint job for my pip-boy! It's Blue), to it being an incomplete game with tons of pay DLC (All DLC additions will be free). So yeah, don't believe that bullshit

-Okay, for starters. Yes, it's Fallout with friends. But can you play by yourself? Well, I've spent almost all my time by myself in the game, and still loving it. It will be challenging at points: Enemy groups are large, but managable. And there is so much story in the background, and the locations are so full of lore it's incredible. Basically, if you think Fallout 4's wasteland and exploration wasn't as good as Fallout 3, this one is much more 3 then 4. I've spent 20 hours in this game, having a blast, and all I explored about 60-70% of the Forest area. I barely touched the other 5 areas. The map is big and tons of cool stuff around.

• Like 1

I feel like anytime there is any sort of microtransaction/real money involved, there are certain people (several who didn't play the game/beta) scream PAY TO WIN~! just because they get the attention seeking reaction they are looking for. (Kind of like the Outrage Police on Twitter)

I think that most folks (at least around here) - are interested in eventually playing this game but it is coming out at the wrong time

• Like 1

That's exactly where I'm at. I want to play this, but between RDR2, Black Ops 4, WWE 2K19, and Dota 2, there's just no time for anything else unless I want to never sleep.

I will get this at some point, I just don't know when. I think that might still be the best approach to because hopefully a lot of bugs will be worked out by the time I jump in.

I'm in the same boat - just too much good stuff out right now.  Between RDR2 and foolishly buying WWE2k19 the week before - there's no way to justify buying it just to sit on the shelf or play bits and pieces but eventually need to restart because I won't remember half the stuff going on. 

21 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Almost everything about the beta sounded and looked like complete trash so I don't know why I am surprised, but I am nothing if not a video game optimist.

No.1 There wasn't a day one patch on Xbox or PS4, but there was on PC. The Xbox and PS4 preloads had it already. If they bought it store, they did add it.

No.2 No shit there are bugs still there. There's bugs in fucking Red Dead. 

No.3 They said would add it down the line but said it wouldn't be ready by launch

No.4 That was always bullshit and was disproven within a day of the story that was made about. The story btw was posted by a redditor who created his account 6 days before he made the post, and didn't post anything other then negative Fallout 76 stories, all of which were confirmed as bullshit.

No.5 Yep, that one I can't deny, at least on PC.

The people who have already decided they hate this game are fucking crazy.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Are you being paid to promote this game?

Enjoy your 400 hours of unskippable audio logs in a game with no push to talk.

Figuring I'm enjoying this a lot more then I did Red Dead, and for me it's the best Fallout experience since 3, I will. 

Also, if you don't want to play the game why the fuck are you shitting all over it without even trying it? I have no interest in Destiny, you don't see me going in the Destiny thread taking shots at people who are having fun with the game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Wait, better than New Vegas? Really?

I will say the key words in that sentance would be "for me". The one thing 76 does very well that New Vegas I thought was pretty mediocre on, was having an interesting map to explore. New Vegas's map was pretty much my least favorite part of the game. It literally told you the easiest route to go to get to Vegas so you followed the story in the easiest fashion, and there wasn't much in the way of interesting loot. Most of the unique weapons are in merchants inventories instead of just out waiting to find. Add in removing Bobbleheads for that game with the star bottlecaps and a simple "pay for your +1 in whatever stat" merchant really made the game too plain for me. Also, there was next to no random enemy encounters. One of my favorite memories in Fallout 3 was heading to the Super Duper Mart at level 4 and oh, hi there Deathclaw! A game were a super tough enemy can spawn on you felt like a giant plus. In New Vegas it is always the same enemies at the same locations, forever and ever.

That brings me to 76. 76's biggest strength so far is the map. Just the 3 and a half hours I played this morning the following happend

-Enter a town which leads to a giant standoff between me, an army of protections and Me Handys, and a Cryptid (I won't reveal which, more fun that way.) It was a damn challenging fight with some great loot.

-Going through some mountains I spot 2 Deathclaws defending there nest from a group of half a dozen Super Mutants. I decide the prudant thing to do would be wait out the fight and pick off the winners. Only one of the Deathclaws win the brutal fight, and I kill it in the aftermath. 

-Wandering a road goinf East I happen upon a truck with a mounted 50 cal Machine Gun on the back, that was lootable. Score one for me.

-Noticing a giant structure that took all my attention, I start trecking through the wastes to find multiple gulpers going toe to toe with a couple of Radsorps. I decide I want nothing to do with that (I was overencumbered at the time which means just moving took action points) and find a lodge near by for shelter, which has monster heads god damned everywhere.

-I find the structure, which was awesome. Won't go into it much because it is cool as shit and don't want to spoil.

-After heading back to the openinf area, I work my wat to an office building I haven't explored. After fighting off the Scorched, I go through collecting lore. Sadly more Scorched show up just as another player, much lower level then me, arrives. I help him out assisting the new waves and then we go through the rest of the building together, watching each others backs as we go througj terminals and what not.

Basically, the world is awesome and there are new mysterys and awesome background elements everywhere. And there is a constant state of never knowing what youn will run into and how acrewed you can be at any moment. And that was what made me fall in love with Fallout 3, and where New Vegas overall lost me a good bit.

• Thanks 1

I had a freebie from redbox and went ahead and rented t for a day or two. Played 4-5 hours so far and am still in the tutorial Responders/Survivors quest, but I'm actually digging it quite a bit as well. I like the lore so far and map has been nice. Only thing I'm not fond of so far is the perks set up, but I figure I will be more indifferent to it once i get used to it. Definitely planning to pick this up when I'm able.

On 11/14/2018 at 5:28 PM, El Dragon said:

I will say the key words in that sentance would be "for me". The one thing 76 does very well that New Vegas I thought was pretty mediocre on, was having an interesting map to explore. New Vegas's map was pretty much my least favorite part of the game. It literally told you the easiest route to go to get to Vegas so you followed the story in the easiest fashion, and there wasn't much in the way of interesting loot. Most of the unique weapons are in merchants inventories instead of just out waiting to find. Add in removing Bobbleheads for that game with the star bottlecaps and a simple "pay for your +1 in whatever stat" merchant really made the game too plain for me. Also, there was next to no random enemy encounters. One of my favorite memories in Fallout 3 was heading to the Super Duper Mart at level 4 and oh, hi there Deathclaw! A game were a super tough enemy can spawn on you felt like a giant plus. In New Vegas it is always the same enemies at the same locations, forever and ever.

[...]

Basically, the world is awesome and there are new mysterys and awesome background elements everywhere. And there is a constant state of never knowing what youn will run into and how acrewed you can be at any moment. And that was what made me fall in love with Fallout 3, and where New Vegas overall lost me a good bit.

Thanks, that was informative. It reminds me of something I meant to post in the "Best open-world games" thread and never did, in response to people mentioning New Vegas. That surprised me, because while I think New Vegas deserves a spot in the conversation for best video game of all time, it's one of the best CRPGs of all time. I never thought of New Vegas as an open-world game at all. Of course, the game's storyline was sufficiently compelling that I never felt the urge to ignore it and just go explore the world, so I can't personally comment on how well or poorly it does when played in that style.

Switching gears a bit, though, I'm mildly surprised you preferred Fallout 3 to 4 with that play style. Fallout 4's main faults, IMO, were that the main story was ass and that your conversational choices almost never mattered. If you just want to fart around and find things to do, though, I'd argue 4 was pretty great. Heck, I'm still playing it a fair bit, three years after release. I really should switch back to 3 for a month or two and see how it compares. My Xbox One/Fallout 4 bundle actually came with Fallout 3, but I don't know where I put the download code.:/

4 hours ago, Robert C said:

I'll never understand love for New Vegas.  Mostly because my 360 had more issues running it than any game I've tried.  

Also, Cazadores.

I found the trick to getting New Vegas to work was to save regularly and every so often use the "wait" feature and wait 7 in game days (doing that cleared out some file that made the game run smoother). NV is still my #1 for Fallout for several reasons: great DLC (except Dead Money, that can fuck right off), being able to play Blackjack, excellent array of weapons and armor and 3 very distinctive factions. As for Cazadores, I found the Brush Gun to be extremely effective against them. Once I figured that out, they didn't bother me as much. 

6 hours ago, Robert C said:

I'll never understand love for New Vegas.  Mostly because my 360 had more issues running it than any game I've tried.  

Also, Cazadores.

New Vegas ran mostly fine for me on PS3, and Cazadores never bothered me as much as they did everyone else. I just knew to be careful with them, just like Deathclaws.

5 hours ago, El Dragon said:

See I prefer 3 to 4 just because at a certain point in 4 you become a nigh unkillable monster if you build your character right, and I never ever did not feel concerned playing 3. Once more, 4 kinda adapted New Vegas's "Enemies spawn in the same location all the time." which is a system I despise. 

I'm torn. A part of me enjoys being a nigh unkillable monster, but another part me wants a challenge. 4 definitely gets to a point where nothing is a challenge which sucks.

7 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I rented the game from Red Box and spent a whole day downloading it. Went to play and it won't let me start without getting a Playstation Plus membership. Fuck this game with a rusty rake.

...It's a multiplayer game. That has always been part of every development with it. What were you expecting?

Just now, El Dragon said:

...It's a multiplayer game. That has always been part of every development with it. What were you expecting?

I don't play many multi player games so I dunno. I played Destiny a while back and it didn't require a PS Plus membership.