DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 76 (for those not playing RDR2)

CSC

Spent a huge chunk of time tonight just trying to get into the game. Server not responding. I finally got in, ran around and screwed with a couple of missions, then got kicked back out again after about 30 minutes.

So I finally get back in after ages of "Server not responding" and it's undone all my progress on the mission I had finished. Back to square one I go. Eh, I'll pass.

Has any company done more to alienate their fans in the past few years than Bethesda? I'm serious. Take a look at their recent history:

Fans: We want a new Elder Scrolls!   

Bethesda: OK here's yet another re-issue of Skyrim!

-------------------------------------------------

Fans: The Boston area of Fallout 4 is a mess, can you fix it?   

Bethesda: Nope, but here's some paid mods that we aren't calling paid mods!

Bethesda: Here's a new Fallout game. It's online multiplayer only!   

Fans: We don't really want that, Fallout has always been a story driven franchise       

Bethesda: Oh and we're gonna leak your private information too. And we'll eventually make it pay to win. 

Fans: We want a new Elder Scrolls! Seriously!     

Bethesda: OK, here's a teaser for one that you won't see for 3 more years. 

Fans: Can you make a new....   

Bethesda: Way ahead of you. We have a sequel coming out that we think you've been dying for! RAGE 2!!

Fans: What? Rage?

Bethesda: Yeah RAGE! Remember, we put it out like 7 or 8 years ago? 

Fans: No.......

Bethesda: Sure you do!

Fans: But we'd really rather have a new....

Bethesda: Say no more! Another half-assed Doom game coming right up!

A new Elder Scrolls was known to be years away for the longest time. People are just impatient.

Creation Club is for all intents and purposes DLC. They just refuse to call it that because Todd Howard fucked up saying the season pass would cover all DLC for FO4.

The info leak was about 60 some odd people and apparently not as bad as most claimed. Still a pretty big fuck up on their part. Not sure where the pay to win comment in from. All of the Atomic Shop stuff is cosmetic so far.

Neither Rage or Doom is made by Bethesda directly so that is an odd one to complain about. I don't recall fans bitching about either, just thinking Rage 2 was an odd choice. A new game from from Bethesda directly won't be coming for a while. They gave us the roadmap already with Stardfield and then Elder Scrolls. At this point its just patience and holding their feet to the fire a bit so they can hopefully learn from the fuck ups they made with 76.

Really though to me 76's biggest issues really come from the non game related fuck ups which seems to be more of a corporate issue. A bad game sucks, but is far easier to come back from than bad/illegal business tactics.

It took me forever to get in the game,, but I really, really like it after I puttered around for a while.

I heard that if someone wants to fight PvP, they have to shoot their opponent first. If the opponent returns fire, it's on. That'll never happen because I love this whole ecosystem of people playing the game who will come over and help me with a fight, then run off with a wave. I've been doing the same thing for other people. It's grand.

• Like 1

Yeah PvP isn't too wide spread, but do keep in mind you can be murdered. There is a Wanted system that takes into account stuff like this and damage you do to other people's properties (workshops & CAMPs). If you want to avoid that there is a Pacifist system that will keep you from damaging other players and their shit though you can still be murdered. That is a system they are going to have to work some kinks out of eventually though I haven't heard of it being abused too often. There was a player though who named himself a raid boss and called people to go after him once he hit a 1000 cap bounty.

• 2 weeks later...

Just now was probably the most frustrating the game was for me with me gettign disconnected or some error a good 5-6 six times in an hour. Not sure why, but around this time the game just seems to be extra unstable.  I would probably be less pissed had it not kicked me towards the end of a mission which for some reason starts over instead of keeping my progress. And then it kept kicking me when I was trying to do some simple shit like scrapping and selling before stopping. They really need to get that shit more stable and figure out how to make sure people keep their progress from missions. If this was a small one I wouldn't mind, but its annoying to redo progress on main missions since they are longer.

• 4 months later...

Jeez, this game is THAT old?

Lil help from the braintrust - is there any way to keep these tryhard griefers out of my hair? A level 75 dude with a full set of power armor was killing Level 6 me and my axe every 15 seconds or so until I just gave up and left the room. I thought there was some kind of setting or whatnot that kept people from doing that sort of thing.

7 hours ago, jstout said:

Jeez, this game is THAT old?

Lil help from the braintrust - is there any way to keep these tryhard griefers out of my hair? A level 75 dude with a full set of power armor was killing Level 6 me and my axe every 15 seconds or so until I just gave up and left the room. I thought there was some kind of setting or whatnot that kept people from doing that sort of thing.

Stop playing survival mode. That is the PvP server. They have mostly wiped that type of shit out from Adventure mode.

I do play in adventure mode. I'm struggling with keeping fed and hydrated in adventure mode, so I'm too scared to try playing survival mode.

Every other player has appeared as a dot except for this guy. I thought I read somewhere that you had to fire on a player to get into a PvP skirmish with them. I probably took a shot at the guy thinking he was a NPC enemy before realizing it was another player.

1 hour ago, jstout said:

I do play in adventure mode. I'm struggling with keeping fed and hydrated in adventure mode, so I'm too scared to try playing survival mode.

Every other player has appeared as a dot except for this guy. I thought I read somewhere that you had to fire on a player to get into a PvP skirmish with them. I probably took a shot at the guy thinking he was a NPC enemy before realizing it was another player.

Sorry, it just that so many changes have happened to avoid accidental PvP for those who don't want it so your story sounded odd to happen in Adventure mode. My suggestion is that you go into pacifist mode. It keeps you from damaging other players. You should be able to change to it from the in game settings. I needed to use it just because I have an unhealthy like for explosives.

I'll have to try to find it. I didn't even know it existed. A little PvP here and there might be OK, but I'd definitely set things up so that everyone has a chance. Me with a pipe gun isn''t really gonna do anything to a Level 75 with a full set of body armor.

What is this game even like now? I'd have to imagine it's not the hot mess it once was, but is it updated regularly? What's the player base like?

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

What is this game even like now? I'd have to imagine it's not the hot mess it once was, but is it updated regularly? What's the player base like?

Due to luck and maybe being a PS4 player it has never been a super buggy mess for me like it has others, but the bugs are down to the usual Bethesda numbers across the board. The big stuff was  gone by January/February. Server stability is constantly being worked on to improve, but its been mostly good since they gradually dealt with duping exploits, dupers, and the items they duped. All of this was done back in February if I recall correctly.

There are 1-2 patches each month, 1-2 days each month for maintenance (the game usually only down for a few hours during these times), and occasional hot fixes for any big issues. Right now the updates generally focus on re-balancing and DLC. We are about two months into the Wild Wasteland DLC stretch which has been gradually providing new quests, items, weapons, and armor. Yesterday we got a bigger update for the questline called Ever Upwards. We also got player vending added and a machine to recycle legendaries for scrip needed for a new legendary vendor coming next week.

No one knows the number of players but Bethesda, but they have claimed millions. From when I usually play, late night/early morning, the servers usually have 16+ players (they hold two dozen). There are some griefers, but Survival mode for PvP has brought most of that down alongside changes made to PvP elements in Adventure mode. Even then there was never a super large amount of griefers. The community from what I've seen and heard is generally nice to each other and new players.

The biggest issue the game faces right now is probably end game content. Aside from two particular events there really isn't much there yet until the raids which launch some time in the summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So this is hilarious. Bethesda is launching this $100 per year subscription service called Fallout 1st. Basically this is if you wanna play FO76 solo (though at this point why ANYBODY still plays it is beyond me). Well they neglected to secure the domain name FalloutFirst.com so some angry fan has turned it into a parody site bashing the shit out of them for everything about 76's existence. https://falloutfirst.com/

Private Worlds were never going to be free. Honestly, this was the general community thought and mostly accepted well before Fallout 1st was announced so people pretending otherwise to create faux outrage is kind of annoying. Not that there aren't issues with it, but much of times these outrages start with 76 it makes me annoyed at both the player base who goes overboard pushing them and Bethesda for being dumb enough to leave themselves open to the criticisms.

• 1 year later...

So I got a cheap PS+ membership a while back to play RDR2 online so I decided to give FO76 a try. It's been super fun and I've enjoyed it. Haven't had any issues with unwanted PVP so far and I'm up to level 75. For those who played through the story, who did you side with? I'm thinking of siding with the Raiders in The Crater. Mainly because The Settlers are all annoying as piss whenever you go to Foundation. "Everyone can see you're on chems. Maybe try to sleep it off.” Fuck off dude.

20 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

So I got a cheap PS+ membership a while back to play RDR2 online so I decided to give FO76 a try. It's been super fun and I've enjoyed it. Haven't had any issues with unwanted PVP so far and I'm up to level 75. For those who played through the story, who did you side with? I'm thinking of siding with the Raiders in The Crater. Mainly because The Settlers are all annoying as piss whenever you go to Foundation. "Everyone can see you're on chems. Maybe try to sleep it off.” Fuck off dude.

Unwanted PVP/griefing is harder to pull nowadays though not impossible and usually PC related. I sided with the Settlers. I tend to play goodish or neutral characters. Raiders are almost always too evil for me. As much as the Crater dudes sound normal at times there is plenty there to show they are crazy and/or evil. Besides the people at Foundation never particularly bothered me even with their occasional bitching about chems. They also appreciate my love of big guns. In general though your choice doesn't matter too much as you can still max out friendship with both groups. Whichever you choose for the heist just gives a bonus. Even there there are ways to not piss off the other group depending on how you split the gold. If you do run with the Raiders do know that one of the characters is in danger of biting it though you can keep them alive depending on dialogue choices.

• 3 months later...

Of interest if anyone is still playing

They have announced that they will be removing Battle Royale mode (Nuclear Winter) come Sept as not many people are playing it and so it is becoming harder to fill games (not to mention the resources it takes to maintain)

Bethesda did say that they want to still find some sort of PvP combat for the game

Pretty sure I'm the only one playing this here. Saw that yesterday in their weekly ITV article. The mode was mostly developed by Bethesda Dallas so once they moved on there was little chance of the mode getting proper updates and maintenance since the Austin team is busy enough just trying to maintain and develop for the main game. 

I'm still playing. My goal is to raise my Raider reputation high enough to get the Gauss mini-gun. Raising rep is definitely a grind. I do all 3 daily missions for Raider rep and it takes forever to get to Ally.

• Like 1