DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 76 (for those not playing RDR2)

CSC

21 hours ago, Eivion said:

Yeah the rep grind is ridiculous. Will say that while the guass mini-gun is neat so far the most used of the Wastelanders weapons for me is the plasma caster.

I'm not a huge fan of the plasma caster due to the low fire rate. That said, I have an instigating one that I use to start off a lot of confrontations. I usually use it to get in the first hit and then switch over to the .50 cal Final Word to finish things off. I'm primarily a heavy gun/power armor user.

Also, I saw that there's going to be a new Brotherhood of Steel update coming on July 7th. They finally pay off the Shin vs. Rahmani storyline from Steel Dawn. It's going to have legendary power armor as well which has me intrigued.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Steel_Reign

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I'm not a huge fan of the plasma caster due to the low fire rate. That said, I have an instigating one that I use to start off a lot of confrontations. I usually use it to get in the first hit and then switch over to the .50 cal Final Word to finish things off. I'm primarily a heavy gun/power armor user.

Also, I saw that there's going to be a new Brotherhood of Steel update coming on July 7th. They finally pay off the Shin vs. Rahmani storyline from Steel Dawn. It's going to have legendary power armor as well which has me intrigued.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Steel_Reign

Yeah, with this we should be able to turn most armor and weapons into legendaries or reroll 1*s into 3*s. Still surprised they are letting PA go that high. I know the unyielding effect was removed in the PTS from PA to make things a little les ridiculous much to the anger of many bloodied style players. 3*s still seems high for armor that already gives around 15% damage reduction flat out.

• 3 weeks later...

I started a new game of this today after downloading 60 gigs (hello!) of updates, and a question:

If I'm wearing the party hat, does that mean I'm not a target for every Terry Tryhard out there who likes griefing other players? This isn't GTA, I'm not having some asshole with a full suit of armor picking on pipe-pistol-packing me. 

I just finished quest 1 and now have the choice of two more quests, both of which I think I'm unprepared for. I must be in the part of the game that's playing more like a Fallout 4.5 than anything that's requiring me to coexist with other real life folks, 'cause it feels real single-playerly so far. That's by no means a bad thing.

Oh, and how chintzy is it to offer semi-private rooms to members of their little club? I didn't wanna check to see how much it would cost for fear of more disappointment.

Edited by jstout

You shouldn't have many issues with PvP unless you want to for the most part. There is an option in the settings that keeps you from hurting other players and vice versa. Its kind of must for events because bullets will be flying everywhere. You should however worry about the occasional trap CAMPs. I suggest avoiding ones that are hanging off of cliffs.

Edited by Eivion

On 7/7/2021 at 4:07 PM, jstout said:

Get this: A high-level friend of mine comes on and builds me a posh house. So I decide to move it, D'oh! Destroyed it. Learning curve.

Wait, wait, how did you destroy your house just by moving it? That is....odd.

It went into the briefcase thing, then when I relocated, it didn't pop it back out. I still have all of the parts, but I lack the expertise to build it back the way he had it. I just found an open field, put up a floor for a sleeping bag and started strewing around all sorts of building equipment (armor creator, gun creator, chemistry station) out in the open air the way God intended.

To tell the truth, I've tired of the game already - I absolutely played the living crap out of Fallout 4, and I miss the way I had the character built up (automatic stimpaks every time I got low on health), so I'll die on this game because I'm too busy firing to pay attention to my health meter. I also really miss VATS, and the game feels grindy already without having proper payoffs. Sooner or later I'll run out of the Stimpak collection my friend gave me and I'll be in for a real struggle then. I just don't have the gumption to play much more of the game after I played Fallout 4 half to death.

3 hours ago, jstout said:

To tell the truth, I've tired of the game already - I absolutely played the living crap out of Fallout 4, and I miss the way I had the character built up (automatic stimpaks every time I got low on health), so I'll die on this game because I'm too busy firing to pay attention to my health meter. I also really miss VATS, and the game feels grindy already without having proper payoffs. Sooner or later I'll run out of the Stimpak collection my friend gave me and I'll be in for a real struggle then. I just don't have the gumption to play much more of the game after I played Fallout 4 half to death.

I mean you can always buy or make more stimpaks. And VATS exist, its just doesn't freeze time. That said, I can totally see why someone would get tired. Its very much just more and while some of the story bits are good, its nothing expansive enough to keep playing continuously. I'm kind of shocked more just don't come around whenever story DLC happens and leave until the next bit.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:13 PM, jstout said:

It went into the briefcase thing, then when I relocated, it didn't pop it back out. I still have all of the parts, but I lack the expertise to build it back the way he had it. I just found an open field, put up a floor for a sleeping bag and started strewing around all sorts of building equipment (armor creator, gun creator, chemistry station) out in the open air the way God intended.

I never felt the need to make an elaborate CAMP. I really enjoyed building big settlements in FO4 but just never cared to do it that much in FO76. The game is definitely super grindy, especially when you're trying to get enough reputation with one of the factions in order to get plans to build cool weapons. Then you have to grind more to get treasury notes. I have fun playing the game but I can definitely see why anyone would get really bored with it after a while. 

And don't worry about stimpaks. You'll find tons of them as you progress through the game. 

• 11 months later...