DVDVR Message Board

48 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I await Franky Elbowpads. Guys who throw shitty elbows and forearms. Generally, most with that gimmick do not. Hero, Misawa, Tanaka.

When I think of a guy whose signature strike is a bad elbow, I think of Kendo Ka Shin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AxB said:

So, anyone got a collective identity term for generic identikit WWE Performance centre graduates?

You know, The ones who all do the ring entrance  where they come through the curtain, stop and do the signature pose, walk to the ring in exactly 12 seconds, do their signature climb into the ring spot, then wait for the chorus of the song  to kick in so they can do their signature pose on schedule again?

Most of them have the same physique as well.

Well, considering that the 2000s FCW era guys and girls were all: Generically capable workers, pulled out of modeling catalogs, taught some rudimentary moves, and basically were "generally nice-looking men and women who could sort of put on a wrestling match, and were 'they're not great, but a truly great worker could absolutely carry them to a good match'. 

Considering the blandness, the genericness, and the model nature of most of them- I choose to use the ironic name for them (since the name would not be anywhere close to that) and call them all "Josh/Joss Abercrombie."  

• Like 2

Expanding on each one since I got back from work to say each type for this, since this is the only one where it counts for both men and women:

Men:

Joshua (Josh) Abercrombie:  ...FCW style generic clone inring guy. No discernable in-ring style to speak of. Probably knows one or two good moves, but the rest of it is basic punch kick offense. Again, is not someone who you'd consider good, but is eminently carryable. Looks like either an Abercrombie and Fitch model, or perhaps the lost member of seminal boy band LFO (who, themselves, were quite vocal about their love of girls who wear Abercrombie and Fitch.)

BEST EVER: Cody Rhodes (search your feelings, you know it to be true.) 

WORST EVER: Anyone who flamed out of developmental in FCW.

PLATONIC IDEAL: Alex Riley.

----

Women:

Jocelyn (Joss) Abercrombie: Almost certainly a Diva Searcher, or at least a woman who was signed from a modeling catalog. Probably knows only how to punch, kick, hairpull, and maybe one nice move.  Almost certainly a WWE-exclusive thing...indeed, if you're going to call a woman from the indies this tag, you'd better have a FANTASTIC REASON for it. If they've ever had their company make it a plot point "look how much she's improved in the ring" despite not actually improving in the ring, you KNOW she falls under this tag. Looks like a girl from Abercrombie and Fitch. 

BEST EVER: Alicia Fox, aka the only one who managed to get from that era of worker into the modern age and at least...doesn't feel completely out of place.

WORST EVER: Rosa Mendes. The "botched standing still" thing is really bad there.

PLATONIC IDEAL: Eve Torres: Not bad in the ring, but had no character whatsoever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Wait, are we talking about the poorly tattooed, relatively competent IWA-MS/WSX guy Josh Abercrombie? Feuded with the then-Tyler Black?

Due to the fact that there was that ironic nickname, the future Josh Raymond will hereby be known as "Johnny Kickpads."

Considering that's a good argument for any person from IWA-MS who could actually work well enough to get to Ring of Honor for even a cup of coffee, that's not unfair.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:32 PM, SorceressKnight said:

Well, considering that the 2000s FCW era guys and girls were all: Generically capable workers, pulled out of modeling catalogs, taught some rudimentary moves, and basically were "generally nice-looking men and women who could sort of put on a wrestling match, and were 'they're not great, but a truly great worker could absolutely carry them to a good match'. 

Considering the blandness, the genericness, and the model nature of most of them- I choose to use the ironic name for them (since the name would not be anywhere close to that) and call them all "Josh/Joss Abercrombie."  

I know he was well before FCW but Mark Jindrak was the prototypical Josh Abercrombie. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 8:50 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

Wait, are we talking about the poorly tattooed, relatively competent IWA-MS/WSX guy Josh Abercrombie? Feuded with the then-Tyler Black?

Speaking of IWA-MS guys that probably fit the bill, I remember when they had Jason Hades, Jaysin Strife, and some other guy named Jason (Jason Dukes I think?) on the roster at the same time. Hades and Strife had a "loser has to change their name from Jason to something else" match, IIRC.