DVDVR Message Board

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Ill throw up Ruckus, mostly as I assumed he was dead.

I think Ruckus belongs in the "Johnny Gigantic Pleatherpants" wing along with Super Dragon, Quack, Chris Hero, Arik Cannon and a ton of other early 2000 CZW / IWA:MS guys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Also, anyone who worked for ECW or WCW is technically disqualified because the JKP era didn't actually start until after those companies went out of business (and it came out of an indie wrestling boom that was arguably facilitated by those companies going out of business; The Monday Night Wars created a lot of Wrestling fans who very suddenly had much less televised Wrestling to watch). Although obviously a lot of JKPs were strongly influenced by guys who worked for ECW especially, and most likely the first Japanese Wrestling the young kickpad kids saw would have been on Nitro.

So AJ Styles escapes, by the skin of his teeth. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Morganti said:

Chikara era Johnny Gargano, Icarus, Gran Akuma, as team fist

Wasn't that their gimmick, though? That they were tough guy "real wrestlers" who hated the goofy Chikara guys? Can you be a JKP and have a gimmick? Even if that gimmick is being a JKP?

This begs the question, can a super hero/villain from a video game be a Johnny Kickpads? I would say "no" that the gimmick is such a level of idiocy that it becomes something even worse. That said, I'm trying to recall whether or not in addition to molesting under-age fans, Mutant Turtle Kowabunga wore kickpads. And I'm far too lazy to check.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 4:52 PM, NintendoLogic said:

This thread got me thinking about what the Platonic ideal would look like. To me, the archetypal Johnny Kickpads:

• Wears kickpads (obviously)
  • Is shorter than the average American male
  • Has a low body fat percentage
  • Works recklessly stiff
  • Has cut at least one "I'm not a sports entertainer" promo
  • Uses 90s All Japan finishers as mid-match transition moves
  • Has wrestled for NOAH
  • Competes in MMA and has a losing record

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who checks all the boxes. I consider kickpads and lack of height to be the only absolutely essential elements.

Shibata.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2018 at 1:51 AM, Ultimo Necro said:

I think Ruckus belongs in the "Johnny Gigantic Pleatherpants" wing along with Super Dragon, Quack, Chris Hero, Arik Cannon and a ton of other early 2000 CZW / IWA:MS guys.

Note 1: Super Dragon's gear wasn't pleather.

Note 2: If anything, this subgroup needs to be named after Tajiri.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Another JKP faction- the New Hart Foundation (Teddy Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Jr., Brian Pillman, Jr.)

Pillman was trained by a JKP, Lance Storm.

Lance Storm will post on his website that if you don't personally wear kickpads, you have no knowledge of what constitutes a JKP.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

Damn, that's brutal. Accurate as hell, but brutal.

I'm not sure what death moves he uses as mid-match filler. He's also taller than the average American male. FAILURE.

• Haha 1