DVDVR Message Board

ITT We resume arguing about MAN OF STEEL

EVA

After all is said and done.. this series might end up looking as an attempt to pull in new Superman fans as the property has gone down hill in recent years. It is impossible to look at the character and say "that's not Superman" when there have been so many different interpretations. My probelm with Mandarin was that he did not fit into ANY interpretation and that would have been cool IF he didn't end up being the same crappy villain we had seen twice before..

After all is said and done.. this series might end up looking as an attempt to pull in new Superman fans as the property has gone down hill in recent years. It is impossible to look at the character and say "that's not Superman" when there have been so many different interpretations. My probelm with Mandarin was that he did not fit into ANY interpretation and that would have been cool IF he didn't end up being the same crappy villain we had seen twice before..

Does "in recent years" include Morrison's all-star superman, which many people site as the best superman story of the last 25 years.

Of course there have been different versions of the character. You could argue every time the creative team changes, a character is slightly different. But there are probably a dozen different interpretations of the character, not as many as Batman, but likely close to it.

Edit: i'm a firm believer in the idea that characters change based on the zeitgeist of the era. Wrote a conference paper on that in my grad school days.

Edit: so, based on that, i can see how this new movie version fits in with our hyperviolent, cynical popular culture.

If you want me to say which version I personally prefer, i'd say the Bates/Maggin/Swan late 70s/early 80s and/or the o'Neil/Adams early 70s version and then the Kesel/Immonen run during the Triangle era. Not a great fan of classic Golden Age or Weisinger Silver Age, although that has its goofy charms. I like All-Star Superman, but i dont love Quietly's art, so that likely knocks itmdown a few rungs for me.

Can't specifcally discuss nu52 Superman, as i've not read of them and have no great desire, even if they were by Morrison.

Well, they're finally going to go through with a Batman and Superman movie.  At least they're doing it this way instead of just throwing out one big Justice League movie(this idea never made sense to me):

After decades of fighting evil solo, Batman and Superman will finally be teaming up on the big screen, multiple sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter

Warner Bros. is expected to announce at its Hall H panel that as the follow-up to Man of Steel, it is pairing two of the most recognizable superheroes in the world for a one-two punch that will be directed by Zack Snyder.

Henry Cavill will reprise his role as Superman, but it is unclear who will play Batman in the new film. A release date of 2015 has been set, with tentative plans for a Flash movie appearing in 2016 and a Justice League movie in 2017, sources said. 

David Goyer, who co-wrote Man of Steel, will write the script. Rumors of the team-up movie have been circulating Comic-Con for a couple of days.

Snyder's Man of Steel, which rebooted the Superman franchise, has grossed north of $600 million worldwide since it hit theaters this June.

Batman and Superman have a long history of teaming up in the comic book universe. Starting in 1954, D.C. published a comic titled Worlds Finest, which featured the two as best pals who joined forces.

The dynamic between the two changed with Frank Miller’s 1986 The Dark Knight mini-series in which the two were on opposite sides of the philosophical and political fence.  Since then, that sort of antagonism has permeated most of the stories involving their interaction.

The Batman & Superman film is an interesting zigzag as D.C. builds toward a Justice League movie. Most expected D.C. to work toward its team movie with films featuring individual heroes, the way Marvel has done, or the opposite: one big movie leading to individual outings.

The LA Times first reportedthe news of the Batman & Superman film.

Link:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/superman-batman-film-set-comic-589521

and Zack Snyder is directing.  Sigh...

...BUT FLASH THOUGH.

• Like 1

A lot of people will say "how could Nolan's Batman fit into Superman's world?" but isn't that exactly what they did over at Marvel Studios? The majority of the public wasn't aware of alien activity and such until Avengers. The easy answer is because he's Batman.

1:26
Silas Lesnick: Harry Lennix is here because "his voice is better" for this reveal...

1:26
Silas Lesnick: He's about to read something...

1:27
Silas Lesnick: "I want you to remember Clark," he says, "in all the years to come. In all your private moments. In all the years to come, my hand at your throat. I want you to remember, the one man who beat you."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/178289-comic-con-warner-bros-pictures-and-legendary-pictures-panel-live-blog

Posted Image

No matter how many times the trailer will advertise "HEY EVERYBODY THIS IS A MARVEL MOVIE" nobody will believe it. 

And it's got a disease infested talking raccoon as one of its stars. You might as well make him a fucking talking possum at this point.

Well, boo. I'll try to be open to however they approach this, but I just don't think it works as well if it's not Christian Bale coming out of retirement to get a handle on this alien shit post-MOS.

So unless Marvel gets their hands back on Spider-Man, and Wolverine(Let's be honest here, nobody really gives a fuck about the rest of the X-Men). There is no way they can top this announcement by DC.