DVDVR Message Board

ITT We resume arguing about MAN OF STEEL

EVA

I never saw what people wrote in the original thread, because I just saw the movie last week after the board was already down and I never visited the thread before to avoid spoilers.

There was only one scene in the entire movie that I liked and that was when Superman flew up into space for the first time and the giant planet earth was in the background. I think they took that imagery from an Alex Ross drawing. Everything else about this movie absolutely sucked.

This is now one of my least favorite superhero adaptions of the 2000s. I think I would rank the Ang Lee Hulk, the two Fantastic Four movies and X-Men Origins: Wolverine lower, but that's about it.

I would really like to know what Fowler thought about this one.

Movie was great. People who say it isn't have done a poor job of explaining why and I'm 95% sure that they would not have enjoyed a Superman movie under any circumstances.

How about a movie with likable characters, character development and a competent story structure at the very least?

How about a Superman movie in which the entire city does not get destroyed and thousands of people die, a lot of which was actually caused by Superman himself?

As for not being able to enjoy a Superman movie under any circumstance: I was never a big fan of Superman Returns, but in comparison to this movie Superman Returns is a masterpiece.

• Like 2

This movie is shit.

I feel this move was THE shit. See what I did there?

Anyway, I thought that I got my money's worth. However, I have very high expectations for the second movie.

None of which is what makes Superman, Superman.

What is "Superman" to you? ......  You have yet to explain that..  Is this the part where you are going to try and tell us that he didn't save anyone even though he clearly did throughout the entire movie?

Seriously, though. If you are going to say this was not a Superman movie.. maybe explain what you meant?

He's the shining example of the best of humanity, not an alienated outsider.

And he stopped saving people (except Lois EDIT: And soldiers who were directly between him and badguys, that he didn't have to go out of his way to save) the moment he put the costume on.

And he made zero efforts to get the fights away from Metropolis or Smallville, instead letting the casualties and property damage pile up, which makes it partially his fault, regardless of whether or not he was causing the damage.

And he killed somebody with his bare hands.

And the entire movie, he only ever did what he was told.  He let Jonothan Kent die because he was told to.  He became Superman because his other daddy told him to.  He killed Zod because Zod said he had to. 

(Also, I could get back to the original sarcastic point I was making, and mention that the name "Superman" comes up in the same number of scenes in Spider-Man as it did in Man of Steel.)

At no point in this movie, was Superman a shining example of hope and the symbol of the best of humanity, and that means he wasn't fucking Superman.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

I could not disagree more. He saved billions of lives. He didn't just do what he was told. He was saving others as a child. He was saving others all across the globe. The stories were piling up about this hero... It is why Lois was tracking him in the first place..

Hence "he stopped saving people...when he put the costume on"

I think pretty much everyone I've heard talk about the movie, myself included, really enjoyed the first 75 or 80 minutes.

We went into great depth on the old board and discussed many of the fallacies.. but what can you do when people only see what they want to see? Nobody is going to be motivated to go through this again...

I remember writing a big post, discussing why I thought it was shit, that no one cared about and then I complained about the lack of interest in said post and you replying saying that the discussion was old and basically done.

I'm disappoint son.

Well, it IS old.. :)   .. but I guess that's what happens. The most intense debates about these films usually occur within hours of their release.

I'm basically running on fumes as far as this discussion goes. I was on the other side of the argument during the Iron Man 3 discussion. I thought Marvel Studios botched the shit out of that movie. Here.. I thought some things could have been done better but the acting was great, the action sequences were great..  and they gave to me, in my view, the Superman movie that I had always wanted outside of a few minor gripes. I couldn't have asked for much more out of an origin film.

I hated the first half just as much as the second.

They crammed far too much into that first scene on Krypton with far too many just plain-out weird concepts. What the fuck was up with that weird skull that somehow contained the "codex" of the Kryptionian race? No, just no!

Why did they have to make Superman a "special" Kryptonian in that he's the first naturally born Kryptonian in hundreds of years? Superman is special enough already. He sets himself apart from other Kryptonians by his actions not by his birth. The Superman: New Krypton storyline in the comic books illustrated that point perfectly.

This is just a nitpick, but I didn't like that they went directly from the rocket to the adult Superman. The Kents finding the rocket in the cornfield is such an iconic scene and they didn't show that in the movie at all.

Some of the worst scenes in the movie were the scenes with Jonathan Kent however. What the frigging hell? I just couldn't bear it anymore, when he died in that tornado. What a disgrace.

And why did they have to terraform the earth of all planets? Couldn't they just kill Superman and then just terraform any of those many other uninhabited planets they previously wanted to colonize?

I remember writing a big post, discussing why I thought it was shit, that no one cared about and then I complained about the lack of interest in said post and you replying saying that the discussion was old and basically done. I'm disappoint son.

There must be something wrong with my screen, because I'm not seeing this fabled list of 2 or 3 things you liked, bub.

There must be something wrong with my screen, because I'm not seeing this fabled list of 2 or 3 things you liked, bub.

I was about to do it when I decided that I was just gonna post some dumb image with SIKE written on capital letters just to be a total dick. But no.

Without further ado, the 3 things that I liked in this movie:

-Costner's performance. The character does and says some awful dumb shit - "Maybe (you should have let them die)", "You must do great things (I don't know what though lol)", the dumb tornado scene - but his overall performance was really good and he felt like the only real human being in the whole movie.

-The nifty scene when Deus Ex Machina Russel Crowe quickly explains all the backstory to Super Guy (great use of those weird morphable metallic balls), it reminded me a lot of a the backstory scene during the intro credits of Watchmen which makes me believe that deep down Snyder has some storytelling talent. The weird thing is that WE (the audience) actually saw all that shit in the beginning of the movie; maybe the whole Krypton scene was shot later in production when they had some more money or something?

- I can't remember the third. I don't know if it ever existed in my mind or not.

- Disregard that I suck dicks. THAT AWESOME ZOD'S TELEVISED MESSAGE TO THE WHOLE WORLD. It felt totally disconnected from the rest of the movie though, but great horror/alien invasion scene nonetheless. 

Re: the interactive space mural

I think it was probably the other way around. I'm guessing nobody realized it was going to be as cool and effective as it was, and by the time they did, they had already invested a ton of money on the Krypton stuff and couldn't cut it.