DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Power Struggle 2018 Now with Super Junior Tag League Action

Raziel

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Robbie Eagles’ yelps of pain: more annoying than Will Ospreay’s or equally annoying as Will Ospreay’s?

I mean, even the Genius was roasting him for it by the end of the night.

More annoying. The bandanas piss me off also. I loved when he got the whiskey mist from Kanemura.

• Like 1

I've gotta say, I listened to the English commentary long enough that Lanny Poffo finally crossed over into "Tom Hardy in Venom" territory for me, and I secretly kinda love it.

On the 27th, he just randomly announced that he could count to 10 in Vietnamese, and then proceeded to do it, apropos of nothing.

During R3K vs. Super 69, Taguchi and Yoh were in the ring feeling each other out, and he exclaimed, "That's Ryuske Taguchi and Yoh!" Like he was delighted that he could identify who was in the match he was calling.  Later, he would note that Sho and Yoh's names were much easier to pronounce than Taguchi's.

Best of all is when he's being fed information to read "during a lull" and he repeatedly asks his on-air colleagues "Is this a lull?" And then reads a paragraph from somebody's Wiki page.  At one point, he even identified a Kushida/Saban hot tag segment as a "lull" and proceeded to start rambling about something.

But then he also correctly likened Robbie Eagles' yelping to someone pulling the fire alarm, so he's over with me.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

NJ World B Team is still better than Ross and Barnett.

The only thing worse than JR doing play by play for New Japan would be Jerry Lawler as the color guy. Of course Lawler would immediately call someone a Jap, like when his idiot son referred to Taka as that on a fucking live Raw.

9 hours ago, Archibald said:

So was the initial plan for Taichi to go over and rematch to happen at WK? Because otherwise I don't see how we went back to this so quickly.

What if they give it to Goto to hotshot it to Ibushi right before WK at like WTL Final or one of the Road to Tokyo Dome shows. Ibushi beat Goto in G1 so he would have a claim to a title shot. While I don’t really think they could find a path to Taichi/Ibushi.

So, the LIJ team is pretty much a lock.  R3K can get in if they beat KUSHIDA and Sabin since they hold the tiebreaker over Kanemaru and Despy, else Suzuki-gun vs. LIJ final.

ZSJ was fantastic tonight. He was on point in execution, storytelling, and awesome selling of the neck. Anybody else think Naito’s performance was rather uninspired? He didn’t even bother trying to sell the damage ZSJ gave him, got his shit in, and won. I really felt Naito didn’t bring it tonight. As a result, it was definitely the weakest of their trilogy this year.

Also, is it just me or is Naito getting a bit chubby? That gut was hanging all the way out.

Stopped for now after the triple threat, which I liked, despite the albatross stipulation. 

Mostly I'm happy to see Kenny and Tana actually wrestle, rather than debate wrestling. Kenny makes himself awfully tedious at times, but in a simple tag, partnering with Ibushi, I very quickly remember how much fun the two of them can be. (I’ll avoid speculating on an alternate timeline where the Golden Lovers save one another and the tag team division, leaving singles titles for later... but I’d at least like a glimpse of that reality, to be honest.)

I suspected EVIL could get a pretty good match out of Jericho, given his fairly straightforward style, and that proved to be the case.  At least Jericho took that nutty Rock Bottom through the table for him.

Taichi/Goto was about a hundred times better than their first match, because they actually let Taichi look credible.  Unfortunately, because they let him look credible for a change, you knew he was losing.  I realize the only reason he had the belt was to transition it to Ospreay, and his injury took that off the table, but damn, let a dude have a little run instead of going back to safe Goto.

I actually thought Zack's constant finger-wiggling was kind of ridiculous and distracting.

36 minutes ago, EVA said:

I suspected EVIL could get a pretty good match out of Jericho, given his fairly straightforward style, and that proved to be the case.  At least Jericho took that nutty Rock Bottom through the table for him.

Taichi/Goto was about a hundred times better than their first match, because they actually let Taichi look credible.  Unfortunately, because they let him look credible for a change, you knew he was losing.  I realize the only reason he had the belt was to transition it to Ospreay, and his injury took that off the table, but damn, let a dude have a little run instead of going back to safe Goto.

I actually thought Zack's constant finger-wiggling was kind of ridiculous and distracting.

So are they going forward with Goto as NEVER Champ at the Dome and doing Ibushi/Ospreay as special singles? Who could Goto face?

26 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

So are they going forward with Goto as NEVER Champ at the Dome and doing Ibushi/Ospreay as special singles? Who could Goto face?

A lot of guys have scoreboard on Goto from the G1.  If not Ibushi, Ishii has momentum after beating Suzuki and would slot in nicely against Goto in a 15 minute midcard slugfest.  ZSJ is coming off a loss, but that would be an interesting place to go with that title.