DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Power Struggle 2018 Now with Super Junior Tag League Action

Raziel

People probably never saw Rev Pro as something more than an indie booking whoever is available at the moment so having NJPW guys with their belts is probably considered a great thing for them. On the other hand lots of people dreamed about RoH becoming a serious and big promotion so there are way more complaints about how it is ran.

• Like 2

With my limited exposure to Eagles coming from MCW these past 12 months, I kind of feel he is miscast as an edgy heel, hence the trying too hard. He works so much better as a face, atleast he has at every local show I've been to. I kind of think he'd be a better (or worse depending how you feel about him) teaming with Ospreay given their history if Ospreay had any interest in the Jr tag belts. Still hope he can find his rhythm in Japan though. 

Watched bunch of post match interviews that I didn't get around previously and couple things stood out:

I was a bit afraid that LiJ would win this and R3K would get into WK match anyway because they defeated champions. But Sho cut a promo saying that he does not want to do it and they have to win everything or it does not matter. I really hope that they stick to that and we will get simple, solid tag team match to open WK. On the other hand Taguchi said that he wants championship match... and I really like Super 69, but please no, not now.

And well Jay mentioned that he got another man in Chaos. Since it is Jay it would be completely normal if it was a lie, but if not? Who else could leave Chaos for Bullet Club? I'd say that R3K and Rocky shouldn't, because I feel that they are finally starting to get things together and it would be a waste. Ospreay has been doing improving as a face so I think he wouldn't really fit either + it kinda would fuck up his babyface run of Taichi -> Ibushi in trying to prove himself. Yano and Ishii I think are doing fine as they are now. Yoshi is dead and  it wouldn't make any sense after what happened in Kobe. So that leaves me with two options:

Goto, I think he'd look weird as hell in Bullet Club, but he has no direction and it is not really clear what he could be doing at WK this year. I guess they could even do another Xanatos Gambit style nonsense with explaining how Goto joining Chaos 2 years ago was all part of the plan.

Trent, no real direction as well and he could be suitable partner for White in WTL. And he is suitably placed on PS's card: Okada/Trent vs White/Fale.

There is Chuckie as well, but I don't think that anyone would care.

And Barreta is basically the same as Beretta, which is a gun: Bullet Club confirmed. (Seriously though, I'd be cool with it. Trent started the whole "Knife Pervert" thing as well, so... that's something.)

Ultimately, though, I think I like Trent better as a face, and Goto could have a really nice career second wind as a surly never-was, grasping desperately at a last opportunity to be relevant.

Another thing that I forgot about Trent, after some match he said that he'd want to challenge Cody for USA title, Cody on twitter asked if he really deserves a shot and Tama responded by saying that he deservers it more than Cody did. At the time it looked like Tama was simply throwing jabs at Cody, but if Trent joins BC then it probably would make sense to run that match at WTL (thou I imagine crowd would be dead for it) or RoH's Final Battle.

Edit: after writing this post I went to check whats up with RoH's twitter and found this:

On 10/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, Oyaji said:

Yeah, Trent's best asset is his selling. It would be a significant change and challenge for him to go heel but I wouldn't mind seeing it. He's completely lost in the shuffle since his injury.

I was kind of hoping the Best Friends would be the ones to beat the GoD for the tag titles.

It's been bothering me, but I don't think the Elite have gone after the BC OG'z since the Tongans turned. Shouldn't the Elite be going after them at every chance? How about a temporary alliance between CHAOS and the Elite in order to destroy the OG'z?

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's been bothering me, but I don't think the Elite have gone after the BC OG'z since the Tongans turned. Shouldn't the Elite be going after them at every chance? How about a temporary alliance between CHAOS and the Elite in order to destroy the OG'z?

That would require them to be on the shows.

As for the Dome plans... if Ospreay recovers in time I can see them running Ibushi/Ospreay anyway as a special singles match. Having NEVER title is not that big of a deal. Or they could maybe book Taichi/Ibushi for WTL to get the title on Ibushi. Either way plans don't have to change that much, but Ospreay is going to lose some momentum.

But if Ospreay can't make it for the Dome? Running Taichi/Ibushi would be weird, but who cares, I'm sure that Taichi can pull a good match out of that bum.

• Thanks 1

If Taichi walks in as a champ at the WK then I hope they manage to get these guys to do his entrance:

Would legit mark out.

Damn, I feel ashamed a bit, couple of hours ago saw that Ospreay got injured and I'm already fantasizing about Taichi's WK entrance.

• Like 1

The NEVER title may not be worth much, but it would still be Ibushi's first heavyweight title in New Japan. It feels weird to type that, and arguably the Cup and G1 Block wins are bigger deals, but it's still not a total nothing, and I could see a good Dome reaction around it. That said I was excited for Ibushi/Ospreay, because the the Ibushi/Nak matches are possibly my favorite dynamic ever, and an inversion of that, with Ibushi as the sneering shitkicker, would be amazing. I also think Ospreay's been maturing a bit, and of course it's a shame to see anyone get hurt. But having said that, Taichi has been amazing; and since he probably doesn't have much time as a title-holding or challenging heavy, it would be nice to see him get a high profile match out of it. KENTA/SUWA is another of my all-time favorite matches, and he and Ibushi could basically do that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

The NEVER title may not be worth much, but it would still be Ibushi's first heavyweight title in New Japan. It feels weird to type that, and arguably the Cup and G1 Block wins are bigger deals, but it's still not a total nothing, and I could see a good Dome reaction around it. That said I was excited for Ibushi/Ospreay, because the the Ibushi/Nak matches are possibly my favorite dynamic ever, and an inversion of that, with Ibushi as the sneering shitkicker, would be amazing. I also think Ospreay's been maturing a bit, and of course it's a shame to see anyone get hurt. But having said that, Taichi has been amazing; and since he probably doesn't have much time as a title-holding or challenging heavy, it would be nice to see him get a high profile match out of it. KENTA/SUWA is another of my all-time favorite matches, and he and Ibushi could basically do that.

Taichi will probably be the highest Suzuki-Gun guy on the card LOL. Imagine telling someone like 6 months ago when Zack was coming off the NJC win and Suzuki was IC Champion, that Taichi will be in a bigger match than both of them at the Dome.

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Now granted I only caught 10-15 minutes of today's show, but did Lanny bring anything to the table that I missed? 

No shvanz jokes please, we're British

I'm working my way through the show, and I'd say no. There's long periods where he's just silent. Whomever Lanny is working with has ranged from bad to passable at points. It makes me yearn for Kevin Kelly and Don Callis or Kelly and Rocky Romero.

Tried to listen to the English commentary since it was a new team, but holy shit that older dude was new lows so I switched back to Japanese.

Anyway, R3K vs Super 69 was awesome. And Eagles is either getting slightly better or I'm starting to ignore him subconsciously since I don't remember anything stupid that he did.

33 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Tried to listen to the English commentary since it was a new team, but holy shit that older dude was new lows so I switched back to Japanese.

Anyway, R3K vs Super 69 was awesome. And Eagles is either getting slightly better or I'm starting to ignore him subconsciously since I don't remember anything stupid that he did.

You don’t know who Lanny Poffo is?

14 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

So is Taichi gonna face a replacement or will the NEVER Title be scrapped from the card entirely?

They teased a Goto rematch, but Taichi said no to it and then cut off Goto's mic before he could respond.

Today's matches were very good- especially the last 2.  Ishimori was extremely good, and last one was LIJ vs Suzuki so I don't have to say how good it was.

My life needs Okada/Tanahashi vs Omega/Ibushi.

Tournament standing are kinda weird now. I think only alive teams are LiJ, R3K, Suzuki squad and Super 69. If first three win their matches then we have 3-way tie, if two of them win then they advance. Super 69 can advance if they defeat LiJ and one of other two teams gets beaten. Tomorrow Suzuki squad can beat Liger/Tiger and secure their spot.

I was a bit surprised that Taiji dropped Kushida here, I thought that they'd face at WK, but can they really drag it out till then now? Power Struggle card is stacked as it is and I'm not sure what they'd do for WK if that match happens now.

Started rolling my eyes when Goto started speaking, but I'm glad that Taichi, from what it looks, shut him down and bonus points for treating NEVER title like worthless crap.

3 hours ago, Archibald said:

My life needs Okada/Tanahashi vs Omega/Ibushi.

Tournament standing are kinda weird now. I think only alive teams are LiJ, R3K, Suzuki squad and Super 69. If first three win their matches then we have 3-way tie, if two of them win then they advance. Super 69 can advance if they defeat LiJ and one of other two teams gets beaten. Tomorrow Suzuki squad can beat Liger/Tiger and secure their spot.

I was a bit surprised that Taiji dropped Kushida here, I thought that they'd face at WK, but can they really drag it out till then now? Power Struggle card is stacked as it is and I'm not sure what they'd do for WK if that match happens now.

Started rolling my eyes when Goto started speaking, but I'm glad that Taichi, from what it looks, shut him down and bonus points for treating NEVER title like worthless crap.

I could see KUSHIDA/Shingo at WK if Roppongi 3K wins the tourney.