MAE YOUNG CLASSIC 2018 - EPISODE 6

RIPPA

WWE has previews up on the 4 remaining 2nd round matches

They are

• Kaitlyn vs. Mia Yim
  • Io Shirai vs. Zeuxis
  • Deonna Purazzo vs. Xia Li
  • Nicole Matthews vs. Tegan Nox

Deonna/Xia was a badass little match there, thought Deonna looked excellent and came off like a total star while Xia did pretty good herself. Io was great as usual. Tegan/Nicole was way too short but thought Tegan still managed to look super impressive there. Loved Kaitlyn's comeback for the MYC, her and Yim had some solid moments, I hope she makes a full time return.

My main impression from the tournament so far is that Satomura and Shirai are so far above everyone else that it's not even funny. The other wrestlers look like they're doing their offense underwater by comparison. Plus Shirai is like 5'2" 120 lbs. and she hits the ropes like a heavyweight.

Io/Zeuxis was a nice enough match and better showcase for Zeuxis than the first round. First round Io undershoots the moonsault and this week she overshoots. Hopefully she has it don next round.

Deonna/Xia was a decent little match. Really hope Xia starts appearing in NXT proper.

Nicole/Tegan was short, but decent whiel it lasted.

Kaitlyn/Mia was more solid than I was expecting with the limb work and how everything built. Loved the reaction to Mia kicking out of the spear. This was a better showing from Kaitlyn than probably her entire run in WWE with just how much more fluid she moved and hit her offense. Really hope we see more of her after this.

Decent episode but a step down from last week's for sure. It was never going to be able to live up to it considering how good Meiko/Mercedes was.

• Like 1

My favorite match of this episode was Deonna/Xia but I also would have liked a few more minutes of Io/Zexuis.

I agree that Nicole/Tegan felt short and I liked that Kaitlyn focused on Mia's hand, which made the non-focus in the first round match even more glaring. But whatever. Kaitlyn looked good through this and hope to see more of her. Always cool to see the progression of the "Diva Era" women. 

I felt bad for Matthews as she was wrestling with her gear as much as she was with Nox.

I wonder if Yim or an agent realized that the chop-the-post spot had gotten so much attention on commentary that it wouldn't make sense not to make it a story. Regardless it made for good limb based story-telling and instilled more psychology than some of the other matches in the tournament.

Li looked good again, if still a bit rough around the edges, and I look forward to her further development. Purazzo feels like she has breakout match potential but hasn't quite got there yet.

Shirai/Zeuxis was another good showcase for Io(that moonsault though...) and for sure a better look at Zeuxis.

I feel like more and more that Meiko to this is like Ibushi in the Cruiserweight Classic. Clearly the best and may take a bit of steam out of the tournament when they fall.

27 minutes ago, quackhell said:

I feel like more and more that Meiko to this is like Ibushi in the Cruiserweight Classic. Clearly the best and may take a bit of steam out of the tournament when they fall.

Its funny you say that since many didn't think Ibushi was the best in the CWC at the time.

I've mentioned this before, but the two people I knew in real life following the CWC that didn't know the people outside of WWE both asked me every week one question: "Is Sabre wrestling this week?"

I know it's anecodotal, but he was absolute runaway favorite amongst people I know. (I also thought he was pretty easily the star of the tournament, but I think he's better than Ibushi in general, so ymmv)

That was my first introduction to ZSJ. I thought he looked interesting, but not really among the best in that tournament. Offhand I would give it to Kendrick and Ibushi. I've been far more impressed by the little ZSJ I've watch in NJPW via AXS.

Ibushi didn’t really stand out for me until maybe the third match when I realized he was likely the reason why I came away impressed with his opponents so much.

I also remember a decent bit of “ZSJ isn’t living up to the hype” talk on here.

On 10/12/2018 at 1:58 AM, quackhell said:

I felt bad for Matthews as she was wrestling with her gear as much as she was with Nox.

Matthews having to readjust her top after every move to ensure her boobs not popping out was funny as hell.

I fell a week behind, but I thought Kaitlyn/Yim was easily the best non-Meiko match in the tournament so far. I really liked all of it, loved Yim punching the mat and was shocked at how vicious Kaitlyn looked going after the hand. After that first Yim match where the announcers talked non-stop about her hand injury while Yim didn't pay any mind to it, it was nice to see some major focus. But the whole match was really cool, felt like the layout a lot different than the rest of the tournament. I wasn't expecting to want to see more Kaitlyn when this started, but I was bummed when she was eliminated.

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2018/10/mae-young-classic-2018-episode-6.html

I’m shocked but I really liked Kaitlyn here and a lot more than I liked Mia Yim. The hand and wrist work looked way meaner than Yim’s legwork (although the bruise was nasty). 

Im not crazy about Matthews or Nox. Nox looks like she’s still injured and that brace looks too big for her body.

Io is awesome and seems so much more on point than all the others. Flawless execution - except for the moonsault. I thought in the first round the knee first landing was on purpose. I guess not. 

Xia Li looks green as hell, and I wasn’t crazy about Deonna until she went on a little ZSJ meanness tear working the arm. Also bonus for the double fujiwara armbar finish. Nasty.