DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC 2018 - EPISODE 5

RIPPA

Just now, Eivion said:

This could end up the best episode yet with those first three matches.

I agree, but that 4th has a chance to be really rough.  I'm mad at myself for signing up for a social thing every Wednesday and Thursday night, so I probably won't be able to watch this until Friday at the earliest.  One day I'll learn that all the social interaction I need comes from wrestling...but until then I have to be careful with the internet so I don't get spoiled.

Meiko/Mercedes was so awesome. Brilliant indeed, just greatness. Two of the very best for sure, absolutely loved it.

Kacy/Rhea was another amazing showcase of Kacy with Rhea looking good as well, a near showstealer. Aside from Kacy's one slip up, her stuff was looking fantastic, loved the whirlwind DDT.

Matsumoto/Toni was good stuff as expected. Still sad that's it for Hiroyo already in back to back weeks, she was a major highlight of this in her two matches.

Only terrible disappointment was Taynara/Lacey being the shortest match of the entire tournament. Didn't think it was bad, just way too short. I'm a huge fan of Taynara so hope she does well in the future. Overall, definitely another great episode.

1 hour ago, FlaeBlazer said:

is it really a MOTY level match?

I didn't think so. Definitely a good match, but there were a couple points of awkwardness/miscommunication where Martinez looked a little lost.

Taynara Conti's "Judo Alexa Bliss" entrance routine is kinda weird. But I always want more wrestlers doing cool judo throws so I'm sorry she got eliminated.

• Like 1

That's the best match WWE has run all year. If not for Tanahashi/Okada matches, it would be hands down my MOTY so far. It's in the discussion with those.

Holy fuck.

Poor Toni/Godzilla. They were the best match of the tournament for like a half hour.

Toni/Hiroyo was a nice match, much better than the draw they had in Stardom last year.

Rhea/Kacy was a nice enough showcase for both women but at the same time maybe a bit of a step down from their first round performances. Rhea seemed a bit off on her bumping and Kacy had her big botch with that wonderful double springboard dropkick. I did like that neither let any mistakes throw them off and slow things down.

Taynara/Lacey was probably Taynara's best showing yet which made Lane's victory all the more annoying. Not that Lane is bad, but its the second time she made it past someone who looked better than her.

Meiko/Mercedes is easily the best match in the tournament so far, and I can honestly only see the semi-finals and final maybe beating it out when its all said and done. Despite not going as far this year I think this year's tournament was a far better showing for Mercedes just for this match alone.

Definitely the best episode so far if only for Toni/Hiroyo & Meiko/Mercedes.

16 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I haven’t watched any of the MYC but Meiko vs. Mercedes seems to be getting MOTY hype. I’m going to watch it soon, maybe tomorrow but is it really a MOTY level match?

I wouldn't quite go that far with it, probably just under a MOTYC. Offhand I would say its a top five women's match in WWE this year. Its well worth checking out.

• Like 1

It's almost like they already know Kacy's unique offense will naturally lead to an occasional botch and they've practiced/planned with her on how to react because that slip-up here was handled pretty damn smooth for someone so green.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EricR said:

Episode 5

So that was the best women's match in WWE history, right? What a killer match. The episode as a whole was good, even though Storm/Matsumoto underdelivered. 

It's on a very short list of not number one. Fuck it was great