DVDVR Message Board

NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2013 (Thread contains Destruction 2013 spoilers)

The Natural

NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2013, 14th October:

▼IWGPヘビー級選手権試合 IWGP heavy weight championshipオカダカズチカ対棚橋弘至Kazuchika Okada VS Hiroshi Tanahashi▼IWGPインターコンチネンタル選手権試合 IWGP IC championship中邑真輔対丸藤正道Shinsuke Nakamura VS Naomichi Marufuji▼権利証争奪戦&NEVER無差別級選手権試合 IWGP contendership & NEVER title match内藤哲也対高橋裕二郎Tetsuya Naito VS Yujiro Takahashi▼スペシャルシングルマッチ Special Single Match永田裕志対桜庭和志Yuji Nagata VS Kazushi Sakuraba▼スペシャルシングルマッチ Special Single Match石井智宏対柴田勝頼Tomohiro Ishii VS Katsuyori Shibata▼スペシャル6人タッグマッチ Special 6 men tag team actionX、本間朋晃、真壁刀義対バッドラックファレ、カールアンダーソン、プリンス・デヴィットX & Honma & Makabe VS Bad Luck Fale & Karl Anderson & Prince Devitt▼スペシャルシングルマッチ Special Single Match矢野通対鈴木みのるToru Yano VS Minoru Suzuki▼IWGPジュニアタッグ選手権試合 IWGP Jr tag team title machアレックス・コズロフ、ロッキーロメロ対アレックスシェリー、KUSHIDAAlex Koslov & Rocky Romero VS Alex Shelly & KUSHIDA

Credit: http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/match/card.php?e=762

NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling has a hard act to follow last year's which was one of the best ever wrestling shows.

Match I'm most interested in here is Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. These are the matches of their feud I've seen:

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, The New Beginning 2012.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Dominion 2012.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Wrestle Kingdom 7.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Invasion Attack 2013.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, G1 Climax 23, Day Eight.

I liked The New Beginning 2012 match which was topped by their match at Dominion 2012 (*****). I had it as the second best match in Japan that year. The weakest one for me by some way is the Wrestle Kingdom 7 match. Tanahashi vs. Okada at Invasion Attack 2013 (*****) is still my Match of the Year and the best of the five listed matches. I really liked the draw they had in the G1 Climax 23. I've a feeling Hiroshi Tanahashi regains the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

I'm in the minority who didn't rate Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata from the 4th of August this year as much as others did. For me it wasn't even the best match of the G1 Climax Tournament or Ishii's best match in it.

Ishii-Shibata wasn't the best match, but it fucking ruled.

I'll have to give it another go.

Dave Meltzer's on the latest Okada/Tanahashi match:

--The next New Japan iPPV will be 10/14 from Sumo Hall, headlined by the sixth major singles match with Kazuchika Okada defending the IWGP title against Hiroshi Tanahashi. This is the best in-ring feud in pro wrestling of this era.

Credit: f4wonline.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(These aren't spoiler-spoilers and I don't know anything about what Meltzer said, but a couple of titbits that suggest the match is going in a certain direction.)

Tanahashi accepted Okada's demand never to challenge for the IWGP again should he lose the upcoming title match. As in properly never, not just a no rematch clause. I've learned not to pay attention to pre-match exchanges like this because they're often ignored, but if this is A Thing then it's as good as a spoiler. Also Tanahashi says his CMLL Universal Championship is on the line, which according to my primitive wikipedia research is fishy not only because it seems to be a big enough deal not to be likely to switch on another continent but because it's earned through an annual tournament and can't even be contested in a one-off match.

pretty much a spoiler about the main event from Meltzer:

Tanahashi is winning

Wait, what? Where/why did he say that?!

the October 7 Observer Radio.

he said New Japan got mad at him when he talked about how maybe Okada should win. They told him he didn't understand business if he thought that.

Full results, from SSS:

NJPW “KING OF PRO-WRESTLING”, 10/14/13 (WPW/PPV/iPPV)
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
9,000 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

0. Manabu Nakanishi, Super Strong Machine, Jushin Thunder Liger and Tiger Mask beat Takashi Iizuka, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado and Gedo (8:28) when Nakanishi used the Ue kara Don on Jado.
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo and Taichi beat Rocky Romero and Alex Koslov © (7:27) when Taichi used a Taichi-style Gedo clutch on Romero to become the 36th champions.
2. Minoru Suzuki beat Toru Yano (7:09) with a Gotch-style piledriver.
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan Return and Takaaki Watanabe Farewell Match: Lance Archer and Davey Boy Smith Jr. beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Takaaki Watanabe (11:48) when Archer used the Killer bomb on Watanabe.
4. Special 6 Man Tag Match – Kota Ibushi’s New Japan Affiliation 1st Match: Prince Devitt, Karl Anderson and Bad Luck Fale beat Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma and Kota Ibushi (10:37) when Anderson used the Gun Stun on Honma.
5. Special Singles Match: Katsuyori Shibata beat Tomohiro Ishii (15:47) with a PK.
6. Special Singles Match: Yuji Nagata beat Kazushi Sakuraba (10:25) with a backdrop hold.
7. NEVER Openweight Title (and IWGP Heavyweight Title shot): Tetsuya Naito © beat Yujiro Takahashi (16:35) with the Pluma Blanca (1st defense).
8. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © beat Naomichi Marufuji (16:18) with the Boma Ye (2nd defense).
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © beat Hiroshi Tanahashi (35:17) with the Rainmaker (5th defense).

Thrilled Dave was wrong on this one!

I am happy to say without a moment's hesitation that that's the best match in the series. Made all the better by Dave having me locked into thinking Tanahashi was winning and then slowly as the match wore on thinking, maybe just maybe Okada might do it. AND THEN HE DID!!! And I love the fact that we basically saw "Rainmaker Kai" or "Rainmaker '13" as the final blow - it was a sweet way of hitting it, and was perfect in telling the story of these guys knowing each other so well and Okada had to catch Tana from a new angle to finally get him.I'm sooooo happy that it'll be Okada vs. Naito at the Dome.Oh and did anyone catch the reporter stomping on the Bullet Club flag backstage after they mugged him. So epic.

• Like 1

To be fair, Dave did think Okada was winning in the first place.

I like this card but hate Nagata going over Sakuraba.So what do they do with Tanahashi now? They're in a Cenalike spot with him.

Have him put Naito over.

Kakutolog(Japanese blog) poll results on the best match from the recent iPPV. I'd put Naito/Yujiro 4th myself, but they probably don't like Naito.

新日本プロレス10・14両国ベストバウトは?新日本プロレス10・14両国国技館大会であなたが一番よかったと思った試合を投票してください。(投票期間 : 2013年10月14日~2013年10月19日)1位: オカダ・カズチカvs棚橋弘至 311件 (44.8%) Okada/Tanahashi2位: 中邑真輔vs丸藤正道 201件 (29.0%) Nakamura/Marufuji3位: 石井智宏vs柴田勝頼 129件 (18.6%) Ishii/Shibata4位: 永田裕志vs桜庭和志 23件 (3.3%) Nagata/Sakuraba5位: ロメロ&コズロフvsタイチ&TAKAみちのく 11件 (1.6%) IWGP Jr Tag6位: 天山広吉&渡辺高章vsアーチャー&スミスJr. 6件 (0.9%) Watanabe Tag7位: 真壁刀義&本間朋晃&飯伏幸太vsバレットクラブ 5件 (0.7%) Ibushi six-man7位: 矢野通vs鈴木みのる 5件 (0.7%) Yano/Suzuki9位: 内藤哲也vs高橋裕二郎 3件 (0.4%) Naito/Yujiro

Thrilled Dave was wrong on this one!

I am happy to say without a moment's hesitation that that's the best match in the series. Made all the better by Dave having me locked into thinking Tanahashi was winning and then slowly as the match wore on thinking, maybe just maybe Okada might do it. AND THEN HE DID!!! And I love the fact that we basically saw "Rainmaker Kai" or "Rainmaker '13" as the final blow - it was a sweet way of hitting it, and was perfect in telling the story of these guys knowing each other so well and Okada had to catch Tana from a new angle to finally get him.

On a first watch while tired, I'd have it:

1. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Invasion Attack 2013.

2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Dominion 2012.

3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, King of Pro-Wrestling 2013.

4. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, The New Beginning 2012.

5. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, G1 Climax 23, Day Eight.

6. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Wrestle Kingdom 7.

I gave the Invasion Attack 2013 and Dominion 2012 matches *****. Another day I might switch #3-5 around. Again having only watched their latest match, I don't think I would give this one the full five.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...