DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Save Our Sonics - 10/1/2018

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

This Taker/Shawn/HHH/Kane angle is embarrassing. I don’t care if it’s over with the audience. Undertaker and HBK are my two favorite WWE wrestlers ever and this is hard to watch. Undertaker should’ve retired a long time ago and HBK shouldn’t come back. It was nice finally having somebody stick to the retirement but now that looks like it went to shit for that sweet Saudi money. He’s not even coming back in a huge Mania singles match, it’s really gonna be a house show style tag in Saudi Arabia. I don’t really have an issue with HHH or really Kane but Undertaker and Shawn are really tarnishing their legacies to me.  

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They're not my all time WWE favorites, but I agree, it's very hard to watch. Nostalgia is what the WWE network is for.

I changed the channel during this segment. I just don't care about that match at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, piranesi said:

One of the funniest things to me is how none of that heat on Elias translated to cheers when Lio Rush interrupted him.

That was a lot of booing but it's not like getting cheap sports heat is very impressive.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That was a lot of booing but it's not like getting cheap sports heat is very impressive.

It's done all the time and I don't think the intention was to get a response like that.  But I give credit to Elias and Kevin, even nobody could hear them over the booing they ran with it.  They sure as hell hit a sore spot with the Seattle crowd though.  I thought at some point it was piped in noise but when they put the lights on them that was definitely not the case.  I read up on it and it looks they're building an arena this year for maybe hockey and hopefully basketball.  Hoping this leads to a Sonics revival when the arena is finished and that reaction would be one reason why.

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It's done all the time and I don't think the intention was to get a response like that.  But I give credit to Elias and Kevin, even nobody could hear them over the booing they ran with it.  They sure as hell hit a sore spot with the Seattle crowd though.  I thought at some point it was piped in noise but when they put the lights on them that was definitely not the case.  I read up on it and it looks they're building an arena this year for maybe hockey and hopefully basketball.  Hoping this leads to a Sonics revival when the arena is finished and that reaction would be one reason why.

Hopefully they lose all sports teams forever and the ghost of Don Owen can capitalize on it by recreating the Portland/Seattle territory with the ghost of Buddy Rose without competition. 

8 hours ago, El Dragon said:

If Elias really wanted to finish that crowd off, he would have continued with an Earl Thomas jab. Or a statement about passing on the 1. Course he might not leave the arena alive, but it would be worth it imo.

I would think putting over Kevin Durant would be in a kick in the balls as well

If he really wanted over the top heat, he would called Jim Mcilvanie the greatest Sonic of all time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I loved this promo so much. It wasn't just the initial cheap heat. That is so easy and beyond played out. But it was the great build-up to it, too. I loved Elias doing some corny blues riff and KO saying he could "feel it in his soul." Then the Sonics mention... that was wonderful. Elias and KO realized what they had in terms of the crowd. Usually, the "your town sucks!" heat lasts fairly quickly. Elias even gets some pops sometimes for saying a town is filled with garbage scumbags. (You know my sense of humor, too, and why I would pop at being called trash.) 

But they used their silence. Crowd reactions are contagious. They didn't move. They didn't say anything. They let the crowd continue to build its reaction. And then right when it needed to be done, they egged on the crowd. KO having to scream with his abrasive voice. Elias saying "these people are being disrespectful." All of that just came at the exact right moment to recharge the reaction. Those little moments helped build that reaction so well. 

• Like 5

I had to pop in here because even though I don't follow the shows anymore, I had family and friends attend it. They actually sent me phone-cam video of the Elias promo and the booing, and it's a) insanely loud and b) pretty much standard if you make a dig at our sports teams here. Seattle sports fans are a sensitive bunch. 

The Key Arena knockdown is happening precisely because the NHL wants a team here so badly. They re-opened the expansion application process just for Jerry Bruckheimer and Jeremy Bonderman and the Seattle area specifically, so that's happening. The NBA coming back, I don't know. They don't seem in a hurry to expand (even though they OWE US, those fucks). But yeah, the Sonics are very much still a part of the Seattle cultural fabric, even with all these transplants coming up here and bringing their team gear.

I do think that it's funny that the last two events before the Key Arena is knocked down and re-built are: a) a Monday Night Raw where Elias shits on the city losing the Sonics and b) a Kings-Warriors NBA pre-season game. That's the type of poetry that is rare in real life. 

@hammerva: We LOVE Kevin Durant, so that would have gotten a pop. He still reps Sonics gear and talks about how much he loves the city. 

He could have pulled the Jim McIlvane jab or talked about how we never appreciated Robert Swift or about how we drove both Shawn Kemp and Vin Baker to drink because our weather is SOOOOOO depressing.

Or talk about passing on the one-yard-line, like someone else mentioned, but then the crowd would have been as dangerous to him as a grandma with a knife is to Ole Anderson.

• Like 4

People sleeping on the fact that at the very beginning of the segment....Kevin spun around in his chair to the sound of Elias's opening guitar strum.  That had me rolling on the floor even before the nuclear heat spot..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, iwcnorm said:

People sleeping on the fact that at the very beginning of the segment....Kevin spun around in his chair to the sound of Elias's opening guitar strum.  That had me rolling on the floor even before the nuclear heat spot..

I missed that. Just seen it now, cheers.

48 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I had to pop in here because even though I don't follow the shows anymore, I had family and friends attend it. They actually sent me phone-cam video of the Elias promo and the booing, and it's a) insanely loud and b) pretty much standard if you make a dig at our sports teams here. Seattle sports fans are a sensitive bunch. 

The Key Arena knockdown is happening precisely because the NHL wants a team here so badly. They re-opened the expansion application process just for Jerry Bruckheimer and Jeremy Bonderman and the Seattle area specifically, so that's happening. The NBA coming back, I don't know. They don't seem in a hurry to expand (even though they OWE US, those fucks). But yeah, the Sonics are very much still a part of the Seattle cultural fabric, even with all these transplants coming up here and bringing their team gear.

I do think that it's funny that the last two events before the Key Arena is knocked down and re-built are: a) a Monday Night Raw where Elias shits on the city losing the Sonics and b) a Kings-Warriors NBA pre-season game. That's the type of poetry that is rare in real life. 

@hammerva: We LOVE Kevin Durant, so that would have gotten a pop. He still reps Sonics gear and talks about how much he loves the city. 

He could have pulled the Jim McIlvane jab or talked about how we never appreciated Robert Swift or about how we drove both Shawn Kemp and Vin Baker to drink because our weather is SOOOOOO depressing.

Or talk about passing on the one-yard-line, like someone else mentioned, but then the crowd would have been as dangerous to him as a grandma with a knife is to Ole Anderson.

I'm just an outsider, although one that loves the music that came out of Seattle. Alice in Chains with Layne Staley is my all-time favorite band. I like William DuVall and think he was the best possible singer AIC could have gotten after Layne died. I would assume Elias would have gotten a fuck-ton of heat making derogatory remarks about Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, and maybe even going further back and bringing up Andrew Wood. There was a Raw earlier in the year, when Elias started playing, he was playing AIC's "Got Me Wrong".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm just an outsider, although one that loves the music that came out of Seattle. Alice in Chains with Layne Staley is my all-time favorite band. I like William DuVall and think he was the best possible singer AIC could have gotten after Layne died. I would assume Elias would have gotten a fuck-ton of heat making derogatory remarks about Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, and maybe even going further back and bringing up Andrew Wood. There was a Raw earlier in the year, when Elias started playing, he was playing AIC's "Got Me Wrong".

Yeah. Maybe not talk about Chris Cornell because that would have bordered on bad taste considering that he pretty recently took his own life, but saying that as soon as Dave Grohl could, he left Nirvana and Seattle because they both sucked would have been great!

(Well, not "great," fuck that, Seattle is the best, but it would have gotten great heat. "What do the Sonics, Marshawn Lynch, and Dave Grohl all have in common? They got out of Seattle as quickly as possible.")

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah. Maybe not talk about Chris Cornell because that would have bordered on bad taste considering that he pretty recently took his own life, but saying that as soon as Dave Grohl could, he left Nirvana and Seattle because they both sucked would have been great!

Yeah. I know it would be extremely bad taste bringing them up, when you look at the mental health and addiction issues that played into their early deaths. Maybe he could have thrown in a line about Courtney Love, who I fully believe had Kurt murdered because he was planning on leaving her. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah. I know it would be extremely bad taste bringing them up, when you look at the mental health and addiction issues that played into their early deaths. Maybe he could have thrown in a line about Courtney Love, who I fully believe had Kurt murdered because he was planning on leaving her. 

25 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

"What do the Sonics, Marshawn Lynch, and Dave Grohl all have in common? They got out of Seattle as quickly as possible.")

I like this line and if last night was any indication this would have had nuclear heat as well.  That's why I find it kind of amazing that something as simple as what Elias said is what did the trick.

And I think Corey is letting more of his geek flag fly recently.  First he namedrops Fortnite on Smackdown last week then he says Lio sounds like Meatwad from ATHF.  It might not quite be Pantera references (I miss those) but it's wacky enough to make me laugh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like this line and if last night was any indication this would have had nuclear heat as well.  That's why I find it kind of amazing that something as simple as what Elias said is what did the trick.

And I think Corey is letting more of his geek flag fly recently.  First he namedrops Fortnite on Smackdown last week then he says Lio sounds like Meatwad from ATHF.  It might not quite be Pantera references (I miss those) but it's wacky enough to make me laugh.

Throw in Alex Rodriguez about leaving Seattle ASAP.

13 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

This Taker/Shawn/HHH/Kane angle is embarrassing. I don’t care if it’s over with the audience. Undertaker and HBK are my two favorite WWE wrestlers ever and this is hard to watch. Undertaker should’ve retired a long time ago and HBK shouldn’t come back. It was nice finally having somebody stick to the retirement but now that looks like it went to shit for that sweet Saudi money. He’s not even coming back in a huge Mania singles match, it’s really gonna be a house show style tag in Saudi Arabia. I don’t really have an issue with HHH or really Kane but Undertaker and Shawn are really tarnishing their legacies to me.  

Unfortunately  nearly everyone in wrestling tarnishes their legacy a little bit outside of Bret and Steamboat.  Look at Flair, Hogan, etc.