DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Save Our Sonics - 10/1/2018

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Obviously, I was a big Taker fan. I think he should have gone out after WM30. What's the point once the streak was broken?

I agree but the Brock rematches in 2015 were awesome. I think the Reigns match was the right way to go out with that final WrestleMania main event, that retirement ceremony at the end of the show. The thing is that whole match and “retirement” is now worthless and an absolute waste of time. If he actually DOES retire, what the hell are they gonna do? How can you top a 15 minute retirement ceremony at the end of WrestleMania? 

• Like 2

The age of a wrestler is really a non issue with me. PCO is the best wrestler in the world. Suzuki is still the scariest bastard on the planet. Negro Casas is great, etc. It''s seeing bald Shawn Michaels be forced out of a perfect retirement angle for some Saudi cheddar and Taker (who is set for life financially) still hitting tombstones on fake limbs. It's all so desperate and a constant reminder that the WWE can't make stars anymore. 

That being said the social media reaction to the last segment looks overwhelmingly positive and I'm sure the match will do big numbers for the network. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Peck said:

Ruby's psychotic offense(including a fishhook!) and Ronda's "Get-This-Girl-DAFUCK-Away-From-Me" selling

Ronda's awesome babyface comeback

Renee telling everyone they are GODDAMN IDIOTS for waking up at 5AM on Saturday to watch Super Showdown live and to just watch it on-demand

Konnor cracking the October 2018 PWI Top-10 

All of this was the best 20 minutes of Raw all year.

And then Elias happened. 

Oh, and HOLY SHIT, Renee name-dropped Detlef Schrempf!  Huge pop.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Rick said:

The age of a wrestler is really a non issue with me. PCO is the best wrestler in the world. Suzuki is still the scariest bastard on the planet. Negro Casas is great, etc. It''s seeing bald Shawn Michaels be forced out of a perfect retirement angle for some Saudi cheddar and Taker (who is set for life financially) still hitting tombstones on fake limbs. It's all so desperate and a constant reminder that the WWE can't make stars anymore. 

That's the part that irritates me the most. If they can still go at a high level like PCO and Minoru Suzuki, more power to them. Hell, I love that Liger is still going at 53.

• Like 2

Enjoyed Roman/Dolph and Seth/Drew which always delivers the goods. Ruby/Ronda ruled, I dig Ronda's modified doctor bomb.. impressive show of strength. Poor Bobby Roode.  I love the excitement of the closing segment and I'm looking forward to the match

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's the part that irritates me the most. If they can still go at a high level like PCO and Minoru Suzuki, more power to them. Hell, I love that Liger is still going at 53.

The thing with Undertaker is that he has “retired” so many times that when he actually does retire for real, nobody will take it seriously and it will likely get a tepid reaction. The guy main evented WrestleMania 33, went out on his back, took his gear off, broke kayfabe, and walked off into the sunset in a 15 minute ceremony and he still came back. You can only cry wolf so many times.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FlaeBlazer said:

The thing with Undertaker is that he has “retired” so many times that when he actually does retire for real, nobody will take it seriously and it will likely get a tepid reaction. The guy main evented WrestleMania 33, went out on his back, took his gear off, broke kayfabe, and walked off into the sunset in a 15 minute ceremony and he still came back. You can only cry wolf so many times.

Exhibit A: Terry Funk

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I was happy to see AoP destroy B-team.

Bo's liver probably didn't feel too well after getting splatted into the corner of the apron. He's also lucky he didn't land head first on the floor.

As far as the old duffer's match goes (and is it really gonna be a tag? I was in the shower for all of Michaels' yammering) I don't really care. This is wrestling. Nobody really retires until they're in a box. And TBH I haven't liked most of what all four of these guys have done in their careers anyway, so there's not a whole lot different if they stink up the joint. 

Didn't watch the show but HAD to see if that Elias segment was for real.  That was surreal.  1:07 of just crowd anger before either of them would say anything.  And then it got WORSE.  BTW this is the difference between WWE trained guys and indie guys brought into WWE.  Trained guys follow the script no matter what.  Non-WWE guys know to take their moment when they can.  It was fucking stupid for KO to keep complaining about John Cena, he had to throw in a "Seattle ruins everything...that's why your basketball team left!"   And then Elias follows with "Turn the lights down!  I don't want to look at these people!"  

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A Shawn Kemp or Gary Payton reference would have put it over the top.

No it wouldn't have.  Detlef Schrempf was THE Supersonic to bring up.  He was that guy who was great and memorable but in Seattle history, he's just below those all time greats.  And his name is fucking fun to say.  Renee knew what she was doing with that line.  

• Like 5

It's so fucking crazy. You have that first heavily scripted segment with Dean where Dean can deliver the lines well, but you can tell it's fake as fuck.

And then you have the segment with Elias and KO, which is probably the in ring segment of the year, and their rapport and delivery was so natural and funny. I don't think anything in WWE has made me laugh harder than Elias' facial expression after that line he dropped.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's so fucking crazy. You have that first heavily scripted segment with Dean where Dean can deliver the lines well, but you can tell it's fake as fuck.

He was great in that even though that storyline is so bogus. It's so frustrating how great he can be and how little there is any chance they'll ever give him a storyline that actually capitalizes on his character and his delivery.

• Like 1

One of the funniest things to me is how none of that heat on Elias translated to cheers when Lio Rush interrupted him.

Also I've been trying to figure out whose terrible line readings Lio's awful delivery reminds me of and I finally figured it out. It's the guy in the gray and white checkered suit.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

DoeDJlzW4AAQxg1.jpg

Nuclear heat achievement.

This is what a heel wrestler works their whole career hoping for heat like that to happen. That was Shawn in Montreal, Dudleys at Heatwave '98, and just from a throwaway line.

They should have sent a poet. And then put the poet in a Russell Westbrook jersey- we could have gotten a riot. 

• Thanks 1

That was the best Dean Ambrose promo in literally years.

There's something about pairing KO up with a "friend" that is always instant gold. But holy shit, I don't care how cheap the heat was, that was HEAT. Then KO took it to up to another level.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

No it wouldn't have.  Detlef Schrempf was THE Supersonic to bring up.  He was that guy who was great and memorable but in Seattle history, he's just below those all time greats.  And his name is fucking fun to say.  Renee knew what she was doing with that line.  

0C3n3Ci3leub.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

This is what a heel wrestler works their whole career hoping for heat like that to happen. That was Shawn in Montreal, Dudleys at Heatwave '98, and just from a throwaway line.

They should have sent a poet. And then put the poet in a Russell Westbrook jersey- we could have gotten a riot. 

Well said. There's the Rock in Montreal and Vickie Guerrero.

Roman Reigns on the post WrestleMania XXXIII RAW. Reigns is a heel, right? ; ).