DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I hate parsing Meltzer's words, but the gist is Hangman Page has turned down an offer from WWE to stay with NJPW. 

That's definitely for the best.  He's got a really good thing going and doesn't necessarily need WWE.  Plus for as far as he's come in a short time I see him doing so much more.  He definitely made the right decision in my book.

It does have me wonder if the others will follow suit.  The said a few times that no matter what they'll stick together so I'm wondering how much of that will hold up in a couple months.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That's definitely for the best.  He's got a really good thing going and doesn't necessarily need WWE.  Plus for as far as he's come in a short time I see him doing so much more.  He definitely made the right decision in my book.

It does have me wonder if the others will follow suit.  The said a few times that no matter what they'll stick together so I'm wondering how much of that will hold up in a couple months.

Plus, if he waits a couple of years and becomes a bigger star, they'll just want him even more. AJ going to Japan after leaving TNA instead of going straight to the WWE was a genius career move.

• Like 2

Speaking of parsing Dave's words, take this for what it's worth, but NXT is definitely expanding with the show likely moving to two hours.

If that's the case, then I'm more than cautiously optimistic. Every freaking week I think that I want an additional hour of NXT because it's so fucking good. What will be interesting to see if the long form format of their storylines, not relying on 20 minute promo segments, and longer matches will still translate well to two hours or if it will be too exhausting.

Personally, I think the time would fly by. The time already flies by. I swear, each week it feels like the show is over and done with before I even know it. The other benefit is that with how much talent they have now, two hours would be enough time to fit everyone in.

• Like 2

Trying to get tickets for the tapings next week on Stub Hub, but the resale price on these is ridiculous. $35.88 and $47.50 for GA. Not happening. I saw someone reselling a pair of GA tickets on Craigslist for $20 a pop and $40 for the pair which is what I'm aiming for, but I'm not sure how secure hand printed tickets are.

Managed to get tickets for next weeks TV tapings at a reasonable price. I'll post some thoughts from it during downtime as usual.

Interesting note from the newest WON

Regarding NXT, there are several different people in charge of running the house shows. Matt Bloom runs the shows near Orlando. Steve Corino runs the shows in Florida that are farther from Orlando since Bloom’s main job is running the Performance Center. Michael Hayes books the outside of Florida tours and he’s the one who also decides which talent works those shows so the main headquarters are running those events

• Like 1

Steve fucking Corino, the guy with the worst dye job in ECW -- in a sea of them, being maybe the most successful guy to come out of there makes me very happy.  I have no idea why. 

There was that story from back in the day when Tommy Dreamer "retired" back in like '07 for a writer/booker gig in the front office of WWE and was fired within like a week because everyone was appalled with how bad his ideas were.  I really have to wonder what he pitched to piss away any and all good will he had within a week. 

• Like 1

He wanted to bring in Justin Credible and give him a title run for months that no one asked for or wanted to see.

Oh, sorry, I was (maybe?) thinking back to his time as booker in ECW.

Justin Credible was the best option he had, though. RVD was hurt; Storm was leaving; Corino was a few months away from being a credible top guy; Dreamer's character doesn't work once you make him champion; Lynn didn't have the charisma to be on top for any longer than the month he eventually got; Tajiri didn't speak English and wouldn't have worked as the top guy for longer than a few weeks, either; Rhino just got there and only makes sense as a better option in hindsight. Credible, at least, was an actual heel who wasn't going to leave in the middle of a title reign like the two previous guys they tried building the company around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

My favorite part is that the kid didn't blink.  If Ciampa really wanted smoke, that kid was going to give it to him.

I was honestly worried that Ciampa was heeling on a special needs kid. From the screen cap and beginning of the video, I got the impression the kid was a little slow.