DVDVR Message Board

[TV] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

I honestly don't understand how being a public racist doesn't let you off the hook when you fire someone.  Did she negotiate a " you know I'm going to be a racist on television" clause in her contract?  

Guessing it means "short of killing someone means I get paid". Pro wrestling sounds like the only place in entertainment where companies can back out of contracts for any reason.

3 minutes ago, Edwin said:

This weeks episode of It's Always Sunny was a big step down from last weeks episode and very underwhelming.

Watching everything that happens to Charlie, the main thing that kept me from being bummed was

Spoiler

The Eagles did win the Super Bowl

I don't think anything will live up to the clip show, which was amazing and an all time great Sunny episode. 

9 hours ago, Edwin said:

This weeks episode of It's Always Sunny was a big step down from last weeks episode and very underwhelming.

I thought it was one of the worst episodes they've done. The first half was just Home Alone scene for scene without any funny twist to it and the second half was just Charlie hurting himself. I barely laughed. I'm excited for the second part with Dee, Frank, Mac, and the degenerates though.

1 hour ago, brocklock said:

I thought it was one of the worst episodes they've done. The first half was just Home Alone scene for scene without any funny twist to it and the second half was just Charlie hurting himself. I barely laughed. I'm excited for the second part with Dee, Frank, Mac, and the degenerates though.

Him getting hurt on his own traps and the crooks just being customers was the twist on it.

3 hours ago, Victator said:

Him getting hurt on his own traps and the crooks just being customers was the twist on it.

I mean it was just him reciting lines and moments from Home Alone ala a Family Guy cutaway gag or something. I'm still excited for the final two episodes, this one just did nothing for me. If you are gonna rely on physical comedy and hurting yourself for a whole episode, Dee's funnier at it than Charlie.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Just another sad reminder that the rich are held to looser/no standards.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon, who have both actually DONE blackface - albeit not at their current jobs - are still employed. 

She's had her own show in some form for the past 8 or so years, there's hours and hours of footage of her saying completely deplorable shit. It's not like NBC hired someone and THEN found out the person is a horrible human being. They knew what they signed up for - it seems to me that they saw a free agent who had a "name" in the entertainment/political world, and who also happened to be in the news at the time because of the Roger Ailes stuff.

I remember when SNL sent Fallon out in full blackface to do his Chris Rock impression.  I was just like...woooooow.  Of course, SNL has always had a dicey history with blackface and related shit.  Hell, not that long ago, they were darkening up Fred Armisen's complexion to do Obama, which I guess got a pass because of his ambiguous ethnicity, though he's not the slightest bit black.

Whenever someone does blackface on snl, I always feel like that person lost a bet. I'm sure anyone black working as part of the cast and crew probably doesn't care, but the viewing audience is vastly different than what that culture of working on the show is. 

But if I learned anything from reading Live from New York, it's that they'll do anything they can get away with. 

Also, cocaine really was a hell of a drug in the 80s.