DVDVR Message Board

[TV] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

If you haven't seen it yet, go watch "I Am Big Bird". It's a great documentary on Caroll and his time with Sesame Street.

That movie is amazing. 

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Look, we need to talk about this. Because, while I do enjoy Seinfeld... Curb is just so much better in every way. If all of the videos and memes and shit in the wrestling section that were being posted a few months ago were just Curb ones, I wouldn't even mind it because that show is honestly one of the best television shows ever and it seems like nobody ever really acknowledges it as such.

Hmm... Not sure I can agree blindly with this, but I can see someone feeling this way and have felt this way before, but then I go and watch Seinfeld re-runs on Hulu and my opinion shifts again. I love them both, regardless.

Speaking of... Jerry Seinfeld is playing down here next week and there's a 95% I'll be there... Tickets are only $11... ?

18 minutes ago, Victator said:

If I knew tickets were so cheap, I would have went when he was in Huntsville.

It's kinda baffling there's tickets for $9.83 on Stub Hub and the cheapest on the venues website are $50. ?‍♂️

Yeah, sure, but people weren't as sensitive when Seinfeld was on TV, for example, as they are now.

Shows like Seinfeld, the Office, etc. wouldn't fly now on TV and would get cancelled in a heart beat as everyone is overy sensible now. That's why sitcoms now a days suck as much as they do.

It still boggles my mind Larry gets away with as much as he does on Curb. Kudos for HBO actually allowing comedians to still be comedians.

20 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Yeah, sure, but people weren't as sensitive when Seinfeld was on TV, for example, as they are now.

Shows like Seinfeld, the Office, etc. wouldn't fly now on TV and would get cancelled in a heart beat as everyone is overy sensible now. That's why sitcoms now a days suck as much as they do.

It still boggles my mind Larry gets away with as much as he does on Curb. Kudos for HBO actually allowing comedians to still be comedians.

They made a lot of money, money is still a heavy armor. Unless you are as stupid as Roseanne who gave ABC no out. 

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

The Office wasn't on in the Stone ages, it just went off the air 5 years ago.  That show is almost universally beloved, because it was able to make racial and sexual jokes that aren't offensive.  If you watch the sexual harrassment or cultural diversity episodes, the joke is about how it isn't OK to behave that way.  That show was all about how all of that behavior is inappropriate at work, and that's why it was funny.  

It amazes me how many people think that comedy can't exist without being racist, sexist, or otherwise offensive.  Especially when most television comedies haven't been overtly racist or sexist.

• Like 1

Vulnerable and oppressed people finally have a way to be heard...

Yeah, this has always been the case...

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

The Office wasn't on in the Stone ages, it just went off the air 5 years ago.  That show is almost universally beloved, because it was able to make racial and sexual jokes that aren't offensive.  If you watch the sexual harrassment or cultural diversity episodes, the joke is about how it isn't OK to behave that way.  That show was all about how all of that behavior is inappropriate at work, and that's why it was funny.  

It amazes me how many people think that comedy can't exist without being racist, sexist, or otherwise offensive.  Especially when most television comedies haven't been overtly racist or sexist.

Yeah, I'm sure that episode where Michael goes all in on Oscar would get over well now a days...

I wonder if those of you taking shots at Jerry watch or attend WWE events because Vince has done things FAR WORSE...

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

"People are more sensitive now" is code for "vulnerable and oppressed people finally have a way to be heard, which has led to some other people listening as well."

Its not just "vulnerable and oppressed" who are hyper sensitive now. I would say its people in power who over react to things now. I see right leaning people go insane if you make an innocuous joke about the president now. 

I don't think everyone is hyper sensitive. But there is a small segment of the population who is and they scream louder to give the illusion everyone is. 

If you are really dedicated to making comedy. you should not care. 

1 minute ago, Edwin said:

Vulnerable and oppressed people finally have a way to be heard...

Yeah, this has always been the case...

Yeah, I'm sure that episode where Michael goes all in on Oscar would get over well now a days...

Dude, are you Michael Scott?  Michael Scott is funny because he doesn't understand why it's not OK to be Michael Scott.  The reason that it works is because the entire rest of the cast acknowledges that nothing he is doing is OK.  The only reason any of his shit is funny is because he has no idea that what he is doing isn't funny, but everyone else is hyper-aware that it's not funny.  That is the joke that his entire character is based on.  If the rest of the office was laughing with him the show wouldn't work, the reason it works is because everyone else on the show recognizes how offensive his behavior his.  The only reason it is funny is that we all recognize that it's not funny.  If the show asked us to laugh with Michael Scott, and not at Michael Scott, the show wouldn't work. It is why the dinner party episode is so brilliant.  We spent the entire run of the show laughing at this dude, and then we see a glimpse into his home life.  We see that he treats people the way people treat him.  He see that he actually doesn't know any better.

21 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Dude, are you Michael Scott?  Michael Scott is funny because he doesn't understand why it's not OK to be Michael Scott.  The reason that it works is because the entire rest of the cast acknowledges that nothing he is doing is OK.  The only reason any of his shit is funny is because he has no idea that what he is doing isn't funny, but everyone else is hyper-aware that it's not funny.  That is the joke that his entire character is based on.  If the rest of the office was laughing with him the show wouldn't work, the reason it works is because everyone else on the show recognizes how offensive his behavior his.  The only reason it is funny is that we all recognize that it's not funny.  If the show asked us to laugh with Michael Scott, and not at Michael Scott, the show wouldn't work. It is why the dinner party episode is so brilliant.  We spent the entire run of the show laughing at this dude, and then we see a glimpse into his home life.  We see that he treats people the way people treat him.  He see that he actually doesn't know any better.

I don't disagree with you. Its like Beavis liking fire is funny. Fire is not funny, but Beavis liking fire is funny. 

But we also know a lot of people don't think that deeply. Especially the sort who get outraged on Twitter. They get off on being offended and context be damned. 

I think that is what Edwin was getting at.

The context is the sticking point here.  Jerry and the other whiners want to be able to say whatever they want regardless of context, and complain because they actually have to do some work to connect with audiences these days, rather than going for easy laughs at others' expense.

That the majority of people complaining about "comedians not being able to be comedians" are multi-millionaires who are completely out of touch with reality should tell you something.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I don't! Thanks for asking!

Awwe. What a shame. But points for the cool reply. Total burn!

Given you post on a wrestling forum, you must like some type of wrestling, no? 

And wrestling has always been run by scumbag shady promoters who've run endless offensive tasteless angles.

17 minutes ago, Victator said:

I don't disagree with you. Its like Beavis liking fire is funny. Fire is not funny, but Beavis liking fire is funny. 

But we also know a lot of people don't think that deeply. Especially the sort who get outraged on Twitter. They get off on being offended and context be damned. 

I think that is what Edwin was getting at.

Bingo!