DVDVR Message Board

[TV] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

The only shows on that list I know I watched were Webster and Hardcastle and McCormick.  I remember Hardcastle & McCormick reruns being on Saturday afternoons on the ABC affiliate from Indianapolis, I think right before Hart to Hart came on.  I don't think I was older than 7 or 8 so that would have been like 1986 or 1987 probably.  While Valerie Bertinelli was my first celebrity crush and followed soon after by Lisa Whelchel, once I saw an episode of Hart to Hart and Stefanie Powers, it was all over for poor Blair.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, gatling said:

The only shows on that list I know I watched were Webster and Hardcastle and McCormick.  I remember Hardcastle & McCormick reruns being on Saturday afternoons on the ABC affiliate from Indianapolis, I think right before Hart to Hart came on.  I don't think I was older than 7 or 8 so that would have been like 1986 or 1987 probably.  While Valerie Bertinelli was my first celebrity crush and followed soon after by Lisa Whelchel, once I saw an episode of Hart to Hart and Stefanie Powers, it was all over for poor Blair.

I never watched an episode of Hardcastle and McCormick but I totally remember a kid that was a grade ahead of me being totally into the show, he had pictures of the car on his book covers.

The Coyote was a next level car to crush on.

MantaMontage1.jpg

In the second season they made a replica out of a DELOREAN of all things, because Brian Keith couldn't get in and out of the actual car.  It looked nothing like the first car.

DeloreanCoyote1.jpg

ETA: How can you forget this amazing theme song/open

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

The Coyote was a next level car to crush on.

MantaMontage1.jpg

In the second season they made a replica out of a DELOREAN of all things, because Brian Keith couldn't get in and out of the actual car.  It looked nothing like the first car.

DeloreanCoyote1.jpg

I'm assuming the pitch to the network was, we have this really cool car and Uncle Bill from Family Affair.

I see that the show got the ax in the spring of 1986, tv changed so much from the start of the 1983-1984 season to the 1985-1986 season that Hardcastle and McCormick must have aged really fast.

COMET network is showing back-to-back episodes of Space 1999 on Saturdays starting at 10PM.

I have to DVR the first episode because I am usually watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century at 10PM on my local MeTV affiliate.  The two parter The Plot To Kill A City (LEGION OF DEATH~!) started over the weekend.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

COMET network is showing back-to-back episodes of Space 1999 on Saturdays starting at 10PM.

I have to DVR the first episode because I am usually watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century at 10PM on my local MeTV affiliate.  The two parter The Plot To Kill A City (LEGION OF DEATH~!) started over the weekend.

I watched a bunch of them after Martin Landau passed away. Not sure it holds up as well as I remembered it as a kid. But hey, its Landau and Barbara Bain, so worth watching. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Man, I loved watching Buck Rogers reruns when I was 6 or 7.  I can't imagine how many great older shows I would have missed out on watching if we didn't live in the country with 8 channels until we got a mini dish my junior year of high school.

• Like 1

I caught Whiz Kids whenever I could. Seem to remember it being a Saturday night show. One of the replacement shows from that season I remember was Blue Thunder(based on the Roy Scheider movie) and starring Dick Butkus and Bubba Smith. Watched it one time and I don't think it lasted much longer than that.

2 hours ago, driver said:

I caught Whiz Kids whenever I could. Seem to remember it being a Saturday night show. One of the replacement shows from that season I remember was Blue Thunder(based on the Roy Scheider movie) and starring Dick Butkus and Bubba Smith. Watched it one time and I don't think it lasted much longer than that.

Dana Carvey was on Blue Thunder too! Dick Butkus and Bubba Smith were in some sorta truck or van as the ground support for the Blue Thunder helicopter, I somehow remember this even though I watched two episodes tops. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

In hindsight, it seems people preferred Airwolf over Blue Thunder in the battle of super helicopter shows. 

For some reason I pre-decided in my stubborn little kid brain that Blue Thunder was authentic and Airwolf was bullshit and nothing was going to change my mind so I was very disappointed that Airwolf won. It was my version of being the annoying Betamax or HD DVD guy I guess.

It was also a sad rehash of my experience with Tales of the Gold Monkey and Bring 'Em Back Alive. I hate to admit now given what has passed that I was Monkey all the way and the rest of my class went another direction.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

In hindsight, it seems people preferred Airwolf over Blue Thunder in the battle of super helicopter shows.

I was team Blue Thunder, since I was more familiar with it from watching the original movie on SuperTV.  Why I was allowed to watch stuff like that, Carpenter's The Thing, etc on bobo Baltimore cable at like 10 years old is another issue.

The Connors was a very depressing show. It was written well, but it is not what I want out of TV. 

Separating the real life 2018 nonsense, it was simply too sad to see

Spoiler

Roseanne Connor died from a drug overdose. 

I don't have much more to say. This will end after one season and be a grim ending to a great show. 

19 hours ago, piranesi said:

It was also a sad rehash of my experience with Tales of the Gold Monkey and Bring 'Em Back Alive. I hate to admit now given what has passed that I was Monkey all the way and the rest of my class went another direction.

I loved Tales and can't even remember Bring 'Em Back.

The first season of Airwolf is such a different show than the seasons that followed. There was some real spy/counterintelligence black ops stuff going down in the first half of season 1. Shit the TV movie pilot is pretty dark and everythin up until "Ghost In The Machine" really sets Stringfellow Hawk as a really dangerous loner that the government shouldn't trust with Airwolf.

James

3 hours ago, Victator said:

The Connors was a very depressing show. It was written well, but it is not what I want out of TV. 

Separating the real life 2018 nonsense, it was simply too sad to see

Hide contents

Roseanne Connor died from a drug overdose. 

I don't have much more to say. This will end after one season and be a grim ending to a great show. 

I loved it. Maybe it only lasts one season, but based on the premiere, it looks to be a great season. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 11:26 AM, Edwin said:

18 years since the *GOAT sitcom premiered.

*Toss up between Curb and Seinfeld. I change my pick depending on the day.

Look, we need to talk about this. Because, while I do enjoy Seinfeld... Curb is just so much better in every way. If all of the videos and memes and shit in the wrestling section that were being posted a few months ago were just Curb ones, I wouldn't even mind it because that show is honestly one of the best television shows ever and it seems like nobody ever really acknowledges it as such.

• Like 1