DVDVR Message Board

[TV] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

I am appalled and maybe a little sickly proud at how many of these I watched or remember. There are only three I have no memory of watching or considering and ignoring. I planned out my t.v. watching like an OCD fiend back then.

Shows on this list I watched religiously or tried to watch (and a sad reminder that I spent my young life not only glued to the t.v. but close enough to the radioactive glory of it to be obsessively switching channels manually so I could watch some of these at the same time.

- We got it maid (One of the most amazing t.v. shows of all time. I still sing the theme in the car on the regular)
- Oh Madeline (I wanted to watch this but Remington Steele was on)
- AfterMash (I loved MASH and abandoned Kate and Ally for awhile to watch this while it lasted and definitely had the t.v. guide with Klinger and his Korean wife on the cover...)
- Jennifer Slept Here (The very concept of Ann Jillian's ghost living in my bedroom made me feel things. It was like a dirty Friday night secret fantasy show. The crushing blow of this being taken off the air was only helped out by the fact that it was replaced with The Master)
- Webster (of course I watched this. WhatamI an asshole?)
- Mr. Smith (Sort of...I wish I had but it was Dukes of Hazard night!)
- Manimal...the greatest show ever for God's sake!!!
- Bay City Blues (I had a thing for this show and it had a lead-in from Remington Steele)
- Lottery (this show was amazing)
- Hotel (James Brolin, Connie Seleca, Morgan FUCKING FAIRCHILD, and old-ass Bette Davis...but I could only watch it during commercial breaks of Remington Steel.

Shows I remember but didn't watch:
- Hardcastle & McCormick (Never liked it. It had an old guy in it. Also that shit was up against Knight Rider so na sale, chumps)
- Just our Luck
- Scarecrow & Mrs. King (Seemed like an old lady show to me. This is what your mom watched while anyone with a pulse was watching TVs Bloopers and Practical jokes.)
- The Rousters (Another one of those Saturday night shows that I would scoff at watching giving that Love Boat was on)
- Yellow Rose (somehow this show is how I learned the song but it was another Saturday night I think and that's Love Boat/Fantasy Island territory)
- Cutter to Houston (What was I 80? If I wanted a medical show I would watch Trapper John MD like any good American)
- Trauma Center (doomed against the impossible to beat lineup of Gimme a Break and Family Ties. There were like five girls I had crushes on between those two shows alone..and yes, Meredith Baxter Burney was one of them. And yes, Nell Carter was another.)
- Emerald Point N.A.S. (I think this was one of those sad shows they dumped against Monday Night Football)

Shows I don't remember
Whiz Kids
Boone
For Love and Honor (utterly obscure but AMY STEELE, the greatest final girl in Friday the 13th history, showed up in the opening credits!)

• Like 2

I was talking to the young Matt D about some of these shows he did not know.

he did not know Whiz Kids, which was sad. The credits in that YouTube clip do not have the retooled version when long-haired and mustachioed Max Gail got top billing. 

Also, hey, the token girl I probably had a crush on at age 13 went on to be the daughter on ALF. (And wiki tells me is now a yoga instructor.) 

i was also shocked I remembered the theme to Just Our Luck. 

And We Got it Made (after they dumped Matt McCoy & Stefanie Kramer) had a GLOW tie in episode.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was talking to the young Matt D about some of these shows he did not know.

he did not know Whiz Kids, which was sad. The credits in that YouTube clip do not have the retooled version when long-haired and mustachioed Max Gail got top billing. 

Also, hey, the token girl I probably had a crush on at age 13 went on to be the daughter on ALF. (And wiki tells me is now a yoga instructor.) 

i was also shocked I remembered the theme to Just Our Luck. 

My 1983 crush was Laura Holt on Remington Steele. She would eventually be replaced by Maddie Hayes on Moonlighting.

There is nothing more disappointing to me about my own life to this day than the fact that I never dated a frustrated type-A lady private detective.

• Like 2

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

It's Amy Steel not Steele you Philistine ;)

Hey. I'm doing the best I can for some kind of out-of-control psychopath...a frightened retard*...a child trapped in a man's** body.

* Editor's note: I do not condone the use of the word retard in this context. Blame Amy Steel.

** Editor's note: It is still in scholarly dispute whether what I have can technically be called a "man's body."

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

For Love and Honor apparently lasted at least 12 episodes, but it doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry

That is one I do not remember. 

Same with Cutter to Houston and that had AlecBaldwin and Shelley Hack.

—-

not from 1983, but the credits for Cover Up (RIP JEH) could have been made by Jerry Jarrett and Mike Shields, it’s so Fab like.

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Same with Cutter to Houston and that had AlecBaldwin and Shelley Hack.

—-

After my lady detective phase, Shelley Hack (and Blair Brown) was part of my next dueling tv crush as I turned to floundering professional women with self esteem issues with these two: