DVDVR Message Board

[TV] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

I still regard the episode where Michael flies off to see Holly the series finale. If the series ends there, it's perfect, but instead it lurched on like a zombie and the corpse decayed more and more as time went on.

It got so bad that the final season is one of the worst seasons I've watched from a show I used to love. You have the completely inexplicable push from Jim and Daryl from the fucking warehouse, of all people, trying to start a sports management company?! Craig Robinson is great and all, but it just screamed of WE MUST FIND SOMETHING MORE TO DO WITH DARYL! If that doesn't sound zany and crazy enough, Jim becomes a complete dick! Yes, the man who bucked every other cliche of the man chasing the woman in sitcoms to be one half of the couple unlike every other sitcom couple becomes typical sitcom dude who suddenly acts like an asshole.

Oh, that's not weird enough for you?! The man who would later go on to be Russ Hanneman in Silicon Valley ("This guy fucks!" and Tres Commas) steps out from BEHIND the fucking camera to comfort Pam. The, uh, 5th wall is broken I guess as they do this? Anyway, for WEEKS we're lead to believe Pam might actually leave Jim for this fucking creeper until the one logical thing happens where cameraman guy is revealed to be a creeper. Oh, except he's not really creepy, but they had to finish the dumb storyline.

Among all of this has Andy becoming the biggest asshole ever, Clark Green was moved to a series regular because WE MUST FIND SOMETHING TO DO WITH MICHAEL CERA'S BUDDY, and there's a completely hamfisted love triangle? love square? with Angela, Oscar, Dwight, and Horn-Rimmed Glasses Man from Heroes. Somehow, someway, the series made it to a finale where all they could have Michael Scott do is appear to drop a "that's what she said" joke. The entire season is up there with latter years X-Files as an example of a show that has gone on for way too long.

That's not to say there wasn't good stuff along the way. I thought the search for Michael's replacement was funny, Robert California was awesome and would have been the best long term replacement, but I'm guessing it would be too expensive to keep James Spader around, and even some of Andy being a complete dick was humorous. The bad ultimately outweighed the good though.

AMC has released the official trailer and key art for their upcoming spy thriller The Little Drummer Girl, a six-part miniseries based on John le Carré’s best-selling literary masterpiece of the same name.

The series stars Screen Actors Guild, Emmy and Golden Globe Award-Winner Alexander Skarsgård (Big Little Lies) as Becker, Academy Award nominee Michael Shannon (The Shape of Water, Nocturnal Animals) as Kurtz and BAFTA nominee Florence Pugh (Lady Macbeth) as Charlie.

The Little Drummer Girl weaves an explosive story of espionage and international intrigue; of love and betrayal. Brilliant young actress Charlie (Pugh) strikes up an acquaintance with an intriguing stranger while on vacation in Greece, but it rapidly becomes apparent that his intentions are far from romantic. The man is Becker (Skarsgård), an Israeli intelligence officer, who entangles her in a complex and high stakes plot orchestrated by Spymaster, Kurtz (Shannon).

Set in the late 1970s, yet sharply contemporary, the global thriller is from the executive producers of the Golden Globe and Emmy Award-winning series The Night Manager and marks the television directorial debut of visionary filmmaker Park Chan-wook (Oldboy, The Handmaiden, Stoker).

The anticipated series is slated to debut in the U.S on AMC as a must-watch, three-night television event with a two-hour episode on November 19 at 9:00 P.M. ET/PT. Additional two-hour episodes will air on consecutive nights at 9:00 P.M. ET/PT on November 20 and November 21.

Watched most of Heathers last night. It's so over the top and mocking of pretty much everything that it's almost like a live action South Park. Every character is a horrible, psychotic person who has the scruples of Eric Cartman and it's not so much a case of rooting for a particular character to get out unscathed as it is waiting for everyone to get their comeuppance.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, MonteCarl said:

I'm upset Bo doesn't have a mustache

I'm happy that Eternia has black people. 

I'm upset that She-Ra and the rebels are kids.  

This reminds me that there has only been one movie based on the A-Next series.  I am surprised that Disney has never run with an A-Next cartoon series for their Disney XD line up, but that's assuming they still have the license.  But they should, right?

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If you had told someone in 1970 that in 15 years, there would be a family sitcom starring Flip Wilson and Gladys Knight, what would they have said?

Wow! Totally forgot about CBS trying to mix the Cosby Show with a workplace sitcom, I might have watched one or two episodes when this aired. Thank god for cable, just looked up what this show was up against when it premiered, Dynasty on ABC and Hell Town which was Robert Blake as a crime fighting priest on NBC.

Mr. Inbetween ended up with some hilarious twists and turns worth of Tarantino. This is worth reading even if you haven't watched anything from the series.

Spoiler

Ray's been kidnapped and put in the trunk of his own car along with his strongbox to be taken out and murdered. When the driver stops off at a local business, two goons break into the car and steal it, taking it to a local mechanic who deals in hot rides. The mechanic finds Ray in the boot, takes the car out to the middle of nowhere, and runs back to his shop. Ray breaks out, walks back into town and finds the two goons at a chip shop eating, carrying his strongbox with them. They go back to the mechanic to get the box open and he tells them what happened as they had no idea he was in the boot; he starts to use an acetalyne (sic?) torch on the box... and Ray walks up behind them. After a quick punch he has his box back and is walking back to the car where his kidnapper is waiting in the back seat for him. They go to the woods to meet up with the waiting (and very angry) murderers, who have their own torch and work on the box while Ray digs his own grave. They get it open, and when they do it explodes as it has a frag wired to the lid. Ray is in the hole so misses the blast and executes the bad guys. His kidnapper is the last one and gets a call on his phone announcing his partner is giving birth. Ray throws him the keys to the main baddy's Benz and lets him go, then continues to finish the hole. His own partner calls him, he tells her he has work shit to do and he'll be over in a couple hours... and he keeps digging. 

Now that, my friends, is pretty fuckin' cool.

You guys talking about Mr. Inbetween got me to binge the season to catch up to this week's two part episode. You aren't lying. That was really great. This is such a good series and I'm glad FX picked it up.

• Like 1

The sun isn’t setting yet on the once famous Sandy Kominsky and his longtime agent Norman Newlander. Academy Award Winners Michael Douglas (Kominsky) and Alan Arkin (Newlander) star as two friends tackling life’s inevitable curveballs as they navigate their later years in Los Angeles, a city that values youth and beauty. Both comedic and emotional, The Kominsky Method is an 8-episode, half-hour single-camera show created by 8-time Emmy Award Nominee Chuck Lorre.

The Kominsky Method also features Nancy Travis, Sarah Baker and guest stars including Lisa Edelstein, Emily Osment, Graham Rogers, Danny Devito, Ann-Margret, Jay Leno, Patti LaBelle, Ashleigh LaThorpe and more.

The series is written by Al Higgins, David Javerbaum and Chuck Lorre, who also directed the first episode. Lorre, Higgins and Michael Douglas executive produce the series which is produced by Chuck Lorre Productions, Inc. in association with Warner Bros. Television.

The Kominsky Method will have its world premiere at AFI Fest on Saturday, November 10 in Los Angeles. The festival will premiere the first three episodes of the series, which is the first scripted episodic to be presented as a Gala Screening at the festival. The series will then launch on Netflix on November 16.

Douglas says fuck a lot in the trailer so I guess NSFW

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Always Sunny, man. Just another classic episode that pretty intelligently (in a classic IASIP unsophisticated presented way) pokes fun at where we're at as a society. This season is the best!

The season started out shaky, but these last 2 episodes are among the best ever.

I didn't love the #metoo episode as much as the consensus, though still thought it was excellent. I did love the first batch up until the Boggs remake, though. The distrust among the men in the escape room was perfect and then the scene around the table and them writing up bullshit laws and basically being Victorian "gentlemen" was one of my favourite things the show has done to date other than Dennis' road rage and ghouls (REVISITED last night btw!). 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

To follow up on my previous post about Hilda, here's the trailer.

This might be the best new cartoon for the whole family I've seen in forever.

We watched it and then got the comics out of the library.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, peterien said:

Really? Reviews seem very mixed

The first episode was great, if a bit formulaic. Grumpy senior citizen forms a bond with her care taker from another culture, hilarity and bigotry ensue. Just started on the second episode.