DVDVR Message Board

[TV] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

T-minus 12-18 months before the angry Twitter rants from neckbeards to some poor sap set designer in Vancouver or Georgia or wherever they film crap in Eastern Europe, just because they didn't get, uh, crenellations or balustrades or crown moulding right.

Plus, whoever ends up as Ishamael won't be Billy Zane, and where's the fun in that?

Yeah, I'm officially in love with Mr. Inbetween now. The main man having a lovely young daughter and a lovelier young girlfriend, both innocent to the fact that he will break your face or end your life as soon as you decide to be an asshole, is a combination of particularly solid character traits. At least for a television character. The subtlety has a lot to do with it.

Meanwhile I watched Mayans again and after the female lead goaded her beau to beat on her then jumped his bones after, I officially said "fuck this show". I might have sleazy interests but if you rip Blue Velvet off in such a shitty and obvious manner, I'm taking a hard pass. Keep your sex and violence separate, please.

Pulled something in my back last night and couldn't bend over or fully straighten up for about 24 hours (it feels fairly good now), so I stayed home and watched a lot of tv today.  Random thoughts:

SyFy had a Van Helsing marathon on from midnight to 1 PM.  Holy shit.  It's actually decent.  I kinda dislike the actress playing Vanessa (unfortunate, since she's the star)m so I was down with killing her with 3 eps left in the season.  I'd prefer the show to revolve more around the sister, Scarlet, but that ain't happening since Missy Peregrym is currently starring on a show on CBS.  New season of Van Helsing starts tomorrow.

Speaking of which, the second episode of FBI held my interest a lot more than the first ep did.  

Watched the tail end of season 1 of The Resident.  Much better than I expected and interesting characters.  I'm in for awhile.

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I know recency bias and all that jazz, but this has to be the best season of It's Always Sunny. Every episode has been fantastic with maybe the exception being the Boggs reboot. 

I'm not gonna go that far, because I think Seasons 2 through 5 are some of the best seasons of a sitcom I've ever seen. But, it's off to the best start for a Sunny season since maybe Season 9 or 10. I didn't really like the first episode that much, the second one was good but the guys stuff kind of dragged for me, and I really liked the Boggs reboot. The last two episodes are classics though.

15 hours ago, Player One said:

SyFy had a Van Helsing marathon on from midnight to 1 PM.  Holy shit.  It's actually decent.  I kinda dislike the actress playing Vanessa (unfortunate, since she's the star)m so I was down with killing her with 3 eps left in the season.  I'd prefer the show to revolve more around the sister, Scarlet, but that ain't happening since Missy Peregrym is currently starring on a show on CBS.  New season of Van Helsing starts tomorrow

I thought the first season kind of sucked, but the second improved immensely. Its nice to know I'm not the only one here watching.

Paramount is going to finally air Heathers

They will do so via a 5 night marathon starting Oct 25

However they have edited out the most "controversial" scenes (whatever that means)

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If your standard for quality comedy is largely measured in laughs-per-minute, I can't strongly enough recommend Big Mouth. I'm only halfway through the first episode of the new season and it's hurting me.

Okay, the Sex on a Lady episode was hilarious. Usually the show has one great narrative and some pretty average B/C plots, but everything in that was golden.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Okay, the Sex on a Lady episode was hilarious. Usually the show has one great narrative and some pretty average B/C plots, but everything in that was golden.

Yeah, that episode was hilarious.  Watched the first 6 or 7 episodes last night and that was probably my favorite.

Anyone watching Kidding?  I watched the first episode and...er... that's enough for me.  Just such a deliberately unpleasant show.  I get that the central conceit is the disconnect between the Carrey character's public persona (Mr. Rogers-style children's show host) and his real life, but everything was so overwhelmingly depressing and perverse.   The pendulum swung too far the other way for my liking.  I don't really expect any of the characters to be happy or well-adjusted given the tragedy they endured, but there's a huge difference between being overwhelmed by tragedy and being a sociopath in training like the son, or being overwhelmed by grief and simply being non-functional like Judy Greer's character.  Then there's just the needlessly out there stuff like the hand job scene or the two dudes in the horse costume humping inside the costume.  Ugh.

I guess I'd be more inclined to give the show a chance if the pilot was exceptional but it was pretty average, imo.  I'll probably watch the rest of the season at some point, but there's plenty of other shows to check out right now.

4 hours ago, Player One said:

I watched the first episode and...er... that's enough for me.

I tuned in for the second one to find Carrey had moved next door to his ex or something in order to stalk her. After already having a bad taste in my mouth from the first episode, that did it for me. 

Take in mind, I can watch something like Mr. Inbetween and not blink an eye. Unfortunately this show seems to be Jim Carrey basically saying "Hey, I'm a weirdo sociopath! Watch me play one on TV!" 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I tuned in for the second one to find Carrey had moved next door to his ex or something in order to stalk her. After already having a bad taste in my mouth from the first episode, that did it for me. 

Take in mind, I can watch something like Mr. Inbetween and not blink an eye. Unfortunately this show seems to be Jim Carrey basically saying "Hey, I'm a weirdo sociopath! Watch me play one on TV!" 

They're still married.  Carrey's character was asked to move out by his wife, so when the show opens, he's living in an apartment and his wife and son are living in the family home.  The pilot episode brought up the idea that the Carrey character thought maybe he should move closer to home.  So he bought the house next door without telling his wife.  'Cause, y'know, that's something someone who was not a weirdo sociopath would definitely do.  That part was right after the two dudes in the horse muppet costume were shown humping, so I think I was just numb by that point.

The pilot didn't even do a good job establishing the setup.  Most of the episode went by before I realized Frank Langella's character and the woman with the kid who wouldn't eat vegetables were related to Carrey's character.  I only figured that out when they showed up for dinner at Carrey's apartment (after he had previously told his son a couple relatives were coming over for dinner).

so I just binged The Office in a little over two weeks.

Is it a hot take to say that I think the show got even better once Michael Scott moved away? I’m not gonna lie though, his return in the series finale caught me off guard and made me tear up. Hell, those last two or three episodes in general made me cry like a bitch.

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

so I just binged The Office in a little over two weeks.

Is it a hot take to say that I think the show got even better once Michael Scott moved away? I’m not gonna lie though, his return in the series finale caught me off guard and made me tear up. Hell, those last two or three episodes in general made me cry like a bitch.

Nope, that's an ice cold take.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Casey said:

So everyone thinks the show got better when he left? Wouldn’t an ice cold take mean the majority agree with me?

The temperature of takes is a pseudoscience where a hot take means that you are saying something absurd, that most people will find controversial, but a few people will agree with, but a cold take is something that pretty much nobody will agree with.  For instance, I used to have a coworker who would say shit like, "Kirsten Dunst is one of the ugliest women of all time," and most of us would look at him like he was crazy before someone said, "I never found her attractive either."  That is a hot take.  It is way over the top, but there are people who agree with the basic gist of what you said.  "The Office got better after Steve Carrell left," is not nearly over the top enough, and I don't know anyone who actually agrees with that.  My favorite of that coworker's hot takes was that Boomerang was a terrible movie, based on the fact that no one would cheat on Halle Berry with Robin Givens.  It started an argument before he just yelled, "Robin Givens looks like a decepticon," and all of us paused, looked at him, and reluctantly agreed.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

It started an argument before he just yelled, "Robin Givens looks like a decepticon," and all of us paused, looked at him, and reluctantly agreed.  

That's crazy.  Robin Givens is obviously an autobot.

1 minute ago, Player One said:

That's crazy.  Robin Givens is obviously an autobot.

So you are telling me, that if you had to cast a female decepticon for a live action, no CGI, transformers movie, Robin Givens wouldn't be on your short list for casting?