DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

Replying to @Ace's post about Melissa McCarthy:

You could say that about a lot of actors. Perhaps there are more good actors than good stories in Hollywood. Or the studios are very good at making good movie concepts into mundane movies.

I think McCarthy's the latest person to be hit with the 'New Chris Farley' curse. Any time someone carrying even a tiny bit more weight than Hollywood's version of normal plays a funny loud person in a successful movie, all the scripts that were put on hold when Chris Farley died (some of which were reheated John Belushi scripts, even) get brought out and 'updated'. Happened to Jack Black after High Fidelity, happened to Zach Galafinaikis after The Hangover. Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill kept doing endless Apatows just to escape it. Now they're switching the Farley character to female to offer them to McCarthy.

• Like 2

I saw Sisters Brothers this afternoon. I liked this a lot. It is a co-production, it may be the largest co-production of all time, and all of the production participants take up the entire fucking screen...THE...ENTIRE...SCREEN. Earlier this year I had said 2018 was the year of Josh Brolin, looks like I was wrong, because it seems that 2018 is actually the year of John C. Reilly. That is if Wreck It Ralph 2, Holmes & Watson, and Stan & Ollie don't bomb or aren't drizzling shit storms of doom and mediocrity.

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Just saw Can You Ever Forgive Me?.  I can honestly say, I never expected that good a dramatic performance out of Melissa McCarthy, but my girl's got chops.   

The movie itself is alright, but doesn't really set out the stakes for Melissa's character.   Overall though, it was terrific and so much better than I expected. Definitely would not be surprised if she and Richard E. Grant get nominations out of this. 

She was really good in St. Vincent, which was a very good movie, too. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Replying to @Ace's post about Melissa McCarthy:

You could say that about a lot of actors. Perhaps there are more good actors than good stories in Hollywood. Or the studios are very good at making good movie concepts into mundane movies.

I think McCarthy's the latest person to be hit with the 'New Chris Farley' curse. Any time someone carrying even a tiny bit more weight than Hollywood's version of normal plays a funny loud person in a successful movie, all the scripts that were put on hold when Chris Farley died (some of which were reheated John Belushi scripts, even) get brought out and 'updated'. Happened to Jack Black after High Fidelity, happened to Zach Galafinaikis after The Hangover. Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill kept doing endless Apatows just to escape it. Now they're switching the Farley character to female to offer them to McCarthy.

This isn't "now". She'd been the Farley ever since Bridesmaids in 2011.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 9:16 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Just got back from watching Mid90s. I won't go too deep into it but on a personal level, it made me really emotional. It's as close to KIDS as you can probably get for a theatrically released film in 2018. Certainly not even close in terms of grittiness or nihilism and really that isn't the tone it's going for. Like KIDS, it had the feeling of something my older brother would have shown me when I was slightly too young to be watching it and it's the first movie since he passed that made me feel that way so it hit me pretty hard. Hill even flat out copies the sequence where KIDS goes back and forth between the girls and the guys talking about each other, although to a much less explicit degree.The soundtrack was killer and they hit the feel of 90s skate vids head on.

I watched Kids once and that was enough. When people talk about AIDS in movies they usually point to Philadelphia, but Kids is always the one that stood out the most. Having grown up with someone who had it and then watching Kids and seeing the storyline with the girl getting it and then being raped by Casper at the end is fucking haunting.

The only other movie I could only stand to see once was Requiem for a Dream. 

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Not seen Irreversible then?

I've seen Requiem for a Dream twice. It does actually reward being rewatched, surprisingly.

I'll be fine without seeing that one. 

• Haha 2

On 10/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, Craig H said:

I watched Kids once and that was enough. When people talk about AIDS in movies they usually point to Philadelphia, but Kids is always the one that stood out the most. Having grown up with someone who had it and then watching Kids and seeing the storyline with the girl getting it and then being raped by Casper at the end is fucking haunting.

The only other movie I could only stand to see once was Requiem for a Dream. 

I didn't make it clear in my post but this movie has a much lighter tone than Kids does. Kids is so nihilistic and this really isn't. I understand why you'd feel that way about Kids though. It's the reason that I like the movie so much. I watch it once a year usually and that's enough for me. 

So I've been watching Blues Brothers for the last 39 years. It's one of my favorite movies ever, and the church scene set to "The Old Landmark" still brings tears of joy to my eyes.

That said, how am I only just now noticing the white girl in the choir?

James-Brown-The-Old-Landmark-feat-The-Bl

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am almost positive someone on this board said this already but after watching it this weekend Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is the best video game movie ever made.

Now one could argue that that is damning with faint praise but it was exactly what I wanted it to be: mindless and highly enjoyable.

And my wife liked it even more than me which I so was not expecting.