DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] OCTOBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So... we're apparently going to live in a world where "Academy Award Winner Lady Gaga" is going to be a thing.   

I'm okay with this. 

Kirsten Dunst would like a word with you.

On 10/1/2018 at 7:13 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

So... we're apparently going to live in a world where "Academy Award Winner Lady Gaga" is going to be a thing.   

I'm okay with this. 

Hey, Eminem & Kobe have one...

;)

On 10/1/2018 at 7:13 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm okay with this. 

We're in a world where Academy Award Nominee Andrew Dice Clay could be a thing.

That being said, 

Spoiler

The ending of the film ruins the experience for me. Jackson's being essentially lured into suicide with no resolution beyond that has me incensed.

• Like 2

I watched Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom last night.  It was.... ok.  I realize Chris Platt has been in several hugely profitable movies, but I find him extremely bland.

I'm kinda amused that they released the remaining dinosaurs into a populated area - and, barely sixty seconds later, the dinos killed three people.  That might have been the flaw in that plan, though apparently we we supposed to think death by dino was ok because the humans were bad people and deserved it.

Am I the only one kinda irritated by the Jurassic Park movies relying on "kids in danger" sequences over and over?  It's not something I'm horribly offended by, but I don't really enjoy watching carnivorous dinosaurs stalk little kids either.  It's really odd that the writers have made that a franchise staple.

Caught Venom this morning. It was a packed house and this is a fun movie. Even better is that is less than two hours long(probably closer to 1:45). Tom Hardy is great. But there was one thing that bothered me, but then I said "FUCK IT" and just went with it. What bothered me was 

When Dr. Skirth snuck him into the facility and they were standing out in the open they didn't seem to be under surveillance at all. For a facility of that type you'd think that there would be cameras everywhere.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:59 PM, Ace said:

We're in a world where Academy Award Nominee Andrew Dice Clay could be a thing.

That being said, 

Reveal hidden contents

I was thinking the non-spoilered thing too.  But the amount of shit that would (rightly) rain down on the Academy for nominating Mr. "Hickory Dickory Dock" smack in the middle of the #metoo era...   Well, you can only imagine. That being said, yes, he was excellent. 

Frankly, if I had to call it early, I think this will get nods for Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor (Sam Elliott), Song, Costumes, Make-up, and maybe Lead Actor and Director.  

And A Star Is Born has an absolute mortal lock on Best Song (for "Shallow"), so she will absolutely be Academy Award winner Lady Gaga by this time next year.  

• Like 1

Saw "A Star is Born". Gaga, Cooper, and Dice were all really good or better. The music is terrific. And yet it's somehow less than the sum of its parts. There are multiple spots where the directing gets in the way, particularly with dramatic pauses that go on foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. At other times, the pacing is uneven. Overall, pretty good, not spectacular. 

I watched Blade Runner 2049. Top tip if you are planning to watch it: Make sure you get a very good night's sleep before you do. Because the movie is paced ponderously. Very ponderously. It's 150 minutes long, but you could easily have told the same story in 90. Obviously my ability to enjoy it is handicapped by the fact that the main star is blank faced charisma vacuum Ryan Goosling (yes I know loads of you think he's great. I've mentioned several times that I irrationally dislike him and can't enjoy his performances. Just accept it. If Shia LaBeouf somehow made a great movie and Natural said he couldn't get into it, you'd accept that, right? Accept I hate Ryan Gosling). 

Now it looks fantastic, there's barely a frame of this film that doesn't look like it should be hanging in an art gallery somewhere. But the plot doesn't really live up to the visuals. And as for the ending, it's not letting me insert a spoiler tag on my phone, so I'll add my thoughts on that later. But let's just say I thought it was cowardice on the part of the writer. To be explained when I get home and am at a proper computer.

I'm not going to say it's not worth seeing. But it wasn't worth waiting 32 years for. In a word, disappointing.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:34 AM, RolandTHTG said:

Bad TImes At El Royale could have been better. Awesome cast, great soundtrack. Half an hour too long, and prioritizes Tarantino tribute night far more than developing a sensible script. Oh and that Hemsworth boy's dick.

The #1 movie trending on GirlCroosh, then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

. Obviously my ability to enjoy it is handicapped by the fact that the main star is blank faced charisma vacuum Ryan Goosling (yes I know loads of you think he's great. I've mentioned several times that I irrationally dislike him and can't enjoy his performances. Just accept it. If Shia LaBeouf somehow made a great movie and Natural said he couldn't get into it, you'd accept that, right? Accept I hate Ryan Gosling). 

I'm with you on Gosling. I don't get whatever is supposed to be the deal with him.

Made a rare trip to the movies for the first time since Creed a few years back, also to see A Star is Born as a big Lady Gaga fan and thought it was pretty great overall. Gaga is perfect for the role and Cooper was really great in his as well. Absolutely love the music throughout with several of the songs sticking in my head in the days since.

Right, about the end of Blade Runner 2049:

Spoiler

So Harrison Ford decides to do sequels to his old movies, where he'll bring back both of his iconic Sci-Fi characters. In Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the writer does what I call a Truman Show ending*, in which the mysterious young woman finally finds herself face to face with the lost father figure we spent the whole movie looking for, and then the credits roll without them saying anything. Whereas in Blade Runner 2049, the lost father figure we spent half the movie looking for finally finds himself face to face with the mysterious young woman, and the credits roll before they say anything. What's worse than a movie with an unsatisfying finish? Two movies with the exact same unsatisfying finish.

Now the reason why I describe it as cowardice on the writer's part is because basically they're lacking the courage of their convictions. If you're telling a tale of an epic quest to find something, and it ends with them actually finding it, the audience expects their moment of triumph. You don't end Excalibur by having Sir Perceval look at the Holy Grail, do you? No, he picks it up, takes it to Arthur and the land is revitalised, allowing the hero to go and confront Mordred for the climactic battle. So why do both Force Awakens and B.R.2049 end with the hero character looking at the thing they've been looking for? Because the writer can't think of a satisfying conclusion. So rather than risk writing an unsatisfactory one, they just stop short of the conclusion. It's a lack of bravery. If you can't pay off the scene you've been building to, you shouldn't have built to it. But the director thinks, if he stretches out the run time as much as possible, the audience will accept a non-finish as a finish because the movie has been really long, it might as well end somewhere.

* Where the whole movie builds to a spectacular crescendo, and then rather than deliver the most interesting scene in the movie, the credits roll. We've been waiting for two hours to see what his life in the outside world is going to look like, and instead we've got to imagine it because they couldn't think of a satisfactory climax

Should have called it Blade Walker 2049. Blade Stroller. Blade Ambler. It's slow, is what I'm saying.

Spoilers, man, spoilers! People got pissed off to find out (before they saw the movie) that Ryan Gosling was a replicant who couldn't express human emotions*, and that was given away in the first five minutes.

* and not only that, he was also playing one in this movie.

• Haha 3