DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

12 hours ago, Victator said:

I'm picturing her setting up various Wile Coyote style traps for Corbin. 

I'm picturing Corbin falling for every single one and the security guard constantly having to keep him away from them.

"Oh boy! Someone left some birdseed in the middle of the parking lot! They even placed it in the middle of a giant "X" to make it easier to find!"

"Goddammit Baron..."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

19 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I'm picturing Corbin falling for every single one and the security guard constantly having to keep him away from them.

"Oh boy! Someone left some birdseed in the middle of the parking lot! They even placed it in the middle of a giant "X" to make it easier to find!"

"Goddammit Baron..."

Mouthful of seed "You don't think its for some other Baron do you?"

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was probably chosen because it was the first time women main evented a WWE ppv. 

The finish was kinda flat as well, if I remember right.

You remember correctly. They didn't get the finish right because Sasha's body was too light for the table.

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sasha and Charlotte can do a good brawl,  they had a hell of a falls count anywhere match on RAW once.  And it was violent, they didn't use contrived spots. 

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Right, the version I saw only had the last ten minutes or less. Presumably after the fake stretcher job... so they cut out the bits where the crowd was hot. It just seemed weird that on a show that was supposed to be celebrating important historical matches, the most ground-breaking one would be heatless. Like, why show that one when the FCA from RAW was actually heated?

That Falls Count Anywhere No DQ 2016 match on RAW is the best Banks/Charlotte match. I've liked the majority of the ones I've seen including the HIAC despite its faults.

• Like 1

RE: Fixing house shows. 

I know everything is cool for WWE and there's more TV, stock and blood money to go around. I get it. But the stuff that's listed by many here and other places is not just "smarky" stuff, it's real. Those dwindling ratings are much more than just "what's happening with everything else". 

Make a bunch of wrestlers/characters that people want to see and then they'll go and see them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

RE: Fixing house shows. 

I know everything is cool for WWE and there's more TV, stock and blood money to go around. I get it. But the stuff that's listed by many here and other places is not just "smarky" stuff, it's real. Those dwindling ratings are much more than just "what's happening with everything else". 

Make a bunch of wrestlers/characters that people want to see and then they'll go and see them.

But even if you make a bunch of wrestlers/characters people want to see, you still have to fix it and make the house shows something that people will feel is important, even if they're "not important." NXT had it for a while, but there was first that feeling "I HAVE to be part of an NXT crowd, but I don't live in Florida. If I don't go see this show, I may never get a chance to experience it live."

And honestly, that's a problem since the obvious way to do that is: Go to smaller towns for the house show tour where it would MEAN MORE. 

14 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

But even if you make a bunch of wrestlers/characters people want to see, you still have to fix it and make the house shows something that people will feel is important, even if they're "not important." NXT had it for a while, but there was first that feeling "I HAVE to be part of an NXT crowd, but I don't live in Florida. If I don't go see this show, I may never get a chance to experience it live."

And honestly, that's a problem since the obvious way to do that is: Go to smaller towns for the house show tour where it would MEAN MORE. 

Yeah, I remember when NXT first starting touring, they came to Green Bay in January of 2016, main event was Finn/Sami.  We pulled into the parking behind a car with Iowa plates.  We asked them about it, and yes, they drove 6 hours to see an NXT house show in Green Bay in the bitter ass January cold simply because they had to see an NXT show live.

• Like 1

I drove 3 hours to see NXT in Portland Oregon and they drew 4500 people, the main was Finn vs Joe. That was in May of 2016. Fun show from what I remember. American Alpha vs The Revival blew the fucking house down. No Way Jose was the most  over wrestler there. Austin Aries wrestled Mojo Rawley. It was a good time. 

• Like 1

WWE returns to the UK next week. I'm not going as it's a RAW show and I wanted Smackdown Live as more of my favourites are on that show/brand: Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, the Bar, Becky Lynch and Asuka.

Some places have superstar signing sessions. There's Becky Lynch, Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura and Asuka. Who's at the one closest to where I am? Jinder. Fucking. Mahal. Fuck. Off.

• Haha 3

I've been to 3 NXT house shows. 1 in Portland, 1 in Seattle and 1 in Las Vegas.

I've only been to one WWE main roster house show in october of 2016 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Vegas a week before No Mercy. I remember it being a really fun show. 

A question for the wrestling historians around these parts. U.K. promotions in the '60s, '70s, '80s cribbed a lot of wrestler names from U.S. attractions (Blackjack Mulligan, Greg Valentine, The Legend of Doom, etc.).

Is "Kendo Nagasaki" the only instance of U.S. promoters from that era swiping from a popular U.K. attraction?

47 minutes ago, Victator said:

I wonder where the Dr.Death name first appeared in media. Maybe a Penny Dreadful or later in an early pulp.

Perhaps in regards to Josef Mengele, the Angel of Death?

This article claims Jack Kevorkian's colleagues dubbed him "Dr. Death" long before his first assisted suicide.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/687967/Eager-Dr-Death-got-nickname-long-before-his-assisted-suicides.html