DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I'm sorry, but Saudi Arabia has always been Saudi Arabia. Oil power with a questionable human rights record.

Yes, "questionable", AKA almost entirely accurate for longer than we've been alive.

12 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

And he'll tell you who it is if you sign up for his VIP membership today.!!

Christ, Walter Kronkite must be spinning in his grave at what "journalists" have.become

This level of crap existed long before Kronkite's parents were even born.

On 10/25/2018 at 1:25 PM, RIPPA said:

A couple of things that came out of the WWE 3rd Quarter Earnings Call today (non - Saudi show related)

- When asked about house shows - excuse me "live events" (since they have been down the last few quarters) - Vince called them "Antiquated" and that they know what is wrong with them and how to fix them (without getting into any specifics)

- They still say they are getting closer to a tiered model of the Network but offer no timetable. They stressed again that "fixing" live events was a bigger priority.

- The acknowledged that in-ring content is some of their most watched programming on the Network and that the feedback they are getting is that folks want more in-ring content. But again - no specifics. They were asked about doing a one hour women's only show. They said they have talked about it but haven't figured out the when and where. It is on their "road map of ideas" (and lord knows I want to see that clusterfuck of a map now)

- The one Saudi news I will mention is that someone asked about how many events they would do their next year and the basically said "Uhhh.... we will tell you next quarter"

Cutting down on house shows allows them to preserve wrestlers careers longer, might allow them to do more on tv. Cuts down on painkillers and d.u.is. Lessen brain damage and other chances of injurys.

So there was a TV special to hype up WWE Evolution on Sky PPV, that was a one hour 'big women's matches' type deal. They showed Lita vs Trish (the one where Lita botches a tope suicida and nearly kills herself... wait, that doesn't narrow it down too much. The one where Trish is wearing a face protector), Mickie James vs Beth Phoenix from England, The Six-Pack challenge to crown the first Smackdown Women's Champion, and a jipped Sasha vs Charlotte HIAC. 

And the one thing I took away from that was, the fans watching were really into every match except the HIAC, which they couldn't have given less of a shit about. It was actually bizarre how little they cared about it. What happened? 

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

So there was a TV special to hype up WWE Evolution on Sky PPV, that was a one hour 'big women's matches' type deal. They showed Lita vs Trish (the one where Lita botches a tope suicida and nearly kills herself... wait, that doesn't narrow it down too much. The one where Trish is wearing a face protector), Mickie James vs Beth Phoenix from England, The Six-Pack challenge to crown the first Smackdown Women's Champion, and a jipped Sasha vs Charlotte HIAC. 

And the one thing I took away from that was, the fans watching were really into every match except the HIAC, which they couldn't have given less of a shit about. It was actually bizarre how little they cared about it. What happened? 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/dave-meltzer-calls-charlotte-vs-sasha-banks-a-flop

Some Wrestlers, like John Cena, almost never lose the crowd (In Cena's case, largely because the crowd spends the whole match having an argument about him). Some Wrestlers when they lose the crowd, they have ways of getting them back. Like Stone Cold Steve Austin, or Bubba Dudley. But some Wrestlers, once they've lost the crowd, they're never getting them back. Like Triple H or Charlotte Flair.

4 minutes ago, D.Z said:

I rarely agree with Dave-O, but that match sucked.

Anyway, does anyone know what the deal between WWE and Full Sail is?

Given the PC is in Orlando (about 5 minutes from my job -- I've actually run into a bunch of the NXT roster -- Sami Zayn, Peyton Royce, Asuka, Shinsuke Nakamura, Velveteen Dream, Adrian Neville and Paige) and Full Sail has degrees in production and entertainment, plus a studio, I'm guessing the deal features Full Sail letting WWE to run NXT tapings in the studio while WWE allows Full Sail to send over students for possible internships.

A former co-worker of mine has worked as security at NXT tapings and he tells me Triple H is a really cool guy and he's worked as personal security for Eva Marie and she was also really cool to them.

There's also that one story of him having to guard Baron Corbin from an obsessive female fan who would hide in parkings lots waiting for him...

27 minutes ago, Edwin said:

There's also that one story of him having to guard Baron Corbin from an obsessive female fan who would hide in parkings lots waiting for him...

I'm picturing her setting up various Wile Coyote style traps for Corbin. 

• Haha 2

Little revisionist history on this page. Many people liked the Sasha/Charlotte Hell in a Cell.  It received quite a bit of praise here,  I know it received a lot of praise on PWO.  

The crowd was into it at the start.  Sasha and Charlotte started brawling on the outside and the crowd was pretty vocal for it. They climbed the cage.  Charlotte ended up powerbombing Sasha threw a table.   Sasha then did a stretcher job and the crowd bought that she was hurt.  

But this took a very long time.  By the time Sasha made her comeback they had wasted several minutes.  Then they tried to do a bunch of HBK/HHH type hardcore spots which isn't in either of their wheelhouse.  I blame whoever came up with those spots. 

See,  Sasha and Charlotte can do a good brawl,  they had a hell of a falls count anywhere match on RAW once.  And it was violent, they didn't use contrived spots. 

Finally,  Charlotte won.  It was in Boston. The finish went over how you'd expect in front of Sasha's hometown.  

• Like 4

Right, the version I saw only had the last ten minutes or less. Presumably after the fake stretcher job... so they cut out the bits where the crowd was hot. It just seemed weird that on a show that was supposed to be celebrating important historical matches, the most ground-breaking one would be heatless. Like, why show that one when the FCA from RAW was actually heated?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Victator said:

I'm picturing her setting up various Wile Coyote style traps for Corbin. 

I'm picturing Corbin falling for every single one and the security guard constantly having to keep him away from them.

"Oh boy! Someone left some birdseed in the middle of the parking lot! They even placed it in the middle of a giant "X" to make it easier to find!"

"Goddammit Baron..."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

19 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I'm picturing Corbin falling for every single one and the security guard constantly having to keep him away from them.

"Oh boy! Someone left some birdseed in the middle of the parking lot! They even placed it in the middle of a giant "X" to make it easier to find!"

"Goddammit Baron..."

Mouthful of seed "You don't think its for some other Baron do you?"

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was probably chosen because it was the first time women main evented a WWE ppv. 

The finish was kinda flat as well, if I remember right.

You remember correctly. They didn't get the finish right because Sasha's body was too light for the table.