DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Maybe people get into the Wrestling business because they are Wrestling fans, who like to watch good wrestling matches? Maybe if they find themselves in positions of  power in the business they decide the best way to use that power is to book good shows, with good matches on them? Because fans like good matches? No?

I mean, bookers book what they think people will pay to see, but because the one mind whose tastes you most understand is your own mind, they wind up booking what they themselves want to see. If that accords with enough fan's tastes, they sell a bunch of tickets and make money. If it doesn't, Death of WCW. But I don't think anyone ever intentionally booked a show that they thought was going to suck bumholes. They booked a show they thought would be great, but had shit taste. Vince Russo.

1 hour ago, FlaeBlazer said:

People give Dave shit for throwing 7 stars at Okada vs. Omega but Scott Keith did it first! ??

https://blogofdoom.com/index.php/2018/06/13/the-smark-rant-for-new-japan-dominion-06-09-18/

Giving Keith shit seems redundant. He never had credibility to squander. 

5 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

They wouldn't even have to show entire cards. Since bringing back old-ass TV shows is all the rage, just bring back Prime Time Wrestling, and fill it with single matches from each house card. 

Either this, or rework their existing This Week In WWE show to include featured matches from all of the brands, run the occasional angles, and show promos/crowd interaction. They could even bring back the old school promos hyping up house show matches.

I forget who said showing these shows on the Network wouldn’t help attendance, but the goals would be to a) add cool/unique/more important stuff to the shows and b) use these shows to let people know what cool stuff happens at these shows.

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's okay, gang. Quality wrestling criticism is still alive and well. We still have Scott Keith. 

I never said that Keith was there, I said that before, there were multiple wrestling critics people could name. Now, there's just Meltzer, and only Meltzer- and as a result, "what Meltzer likes" is at a premium in pro wrestling.

Maybe it might have been a conspiracy theory to claim "New Japan books to what Meltzer would like", but come on- the Young Bucks named a move after the guy. If you say that Meltzer's ratings don't matter right now to get fan reactions- and he's the only wrestling critic who you can claim that for- then you're in a dream world. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

I never said that Keith was there, I said that before, there were multiple wrestling critics people could name. Now, there's just Meltzer, and only Meltzer- and as a result, "what Meltzer likes" is at a premium in pro wrestling.

Maybe it might have been a conspiracy theory to claim "New Japan books to what Meltzer would like", but come on- the Young Bucks named a move after the guy. If you say that Meltzer's ratings don't matter right now to get fan reactions- and he's the only wrestling critic who you can claim that for- then you're in a dream world. 

It’s undeniable that the Elite guys are using Meltzer’s influence to their advantage. They are Western wrestlers who’s primary appeal is to a Western fanbase so it makes sense that they would get in good graces with the predominant voice in pro wrestling in the West. But you really veered into crazy conspiracy theory when you suggested the entire company of NJPW was tailoring their entire product to one single journalist/critic in America. Gedo isn’t going into booking meetings with the mindset of getting the most rave reviews in the Observer. Okada and Tanahashi when planning their matches, aren’t discussing what to do to get a 5* rating from Dave Meltzer. I do think many of the foreign wrestlers use Dave Meltzer to get a higher profile with the IWC but he’s almost certainly a complete non-factor to the Japanese natives. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Sorry, I didn't intend to be taken seriously. All I wanted to do was take a potshot at Keith. :(

What you're saying in general makes sense. I'm not sure I believe New Japan is playing that game as an organization or even that a large number of their stars are playing that game. But the Bucks are definitely dancing in that space, both for the exposure and because it makes them as annoying as they're meant to be. And I'm sure people in their orbit are also playing that game. The Elite being so deep in the bloodstream over there certainly makes sure there's enough Meltzerdust to go around. Beyond that, I don't feel qualified to speak more broadly to people's motivations. 

All things considered, I don't really care about Dave's opinion and I wish he didn't drive fan discourse as much as he does. But here we are. 

• Like 2

"He was a bad dude, brother. The Saudi Royal Family asked me to do the hit, brother. travelling across the international date line and taking out this threat to international peace and prosperity, Jack, and I could have done it for free, but what they were proposing, that didn't work for me brother.

Any chance of anonymity?"

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Ugh, either say who it is or don't fucking bring it up in the first place.  This kind of "journalism" is the worst.  You're only trying to draw attention to yourself.  I've spent a decade in television.  If you tease a story like he just did, it's because it's a lesser name.  Probably getting DMs from Johnny Rodz or Pat Patterson or Afa.   

Names or it didn't happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Iron Sheik - Saudi Turncoat is something I could definitely see...

It's either him or Koko B Ware.

If the Sheik could become an Iraqi, he could be a Saudi if needed. 

Plus, you could easily imagine the things he might have had to do when he was one of the Shah's bodyguard. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

And he'll tell you who it is if you sign up for his VIP membership today.!!

Christ, Walter Kronkite must be spinning in his grave at what "journalists" have.become

See also that 'senior reporter' for CNN trying to call out the Rock for giving the Saudi prince 'a platform'... from an old tweet. What a bellend

I feel like this would have been posted already but I don't see it (so that probably means it is two posts up)

But Sasha Banks confirmed that her injury was that the she was suffering from post concussion syndrome

Sasha Banks opened up about the injury that kept her out of action recently.

Banks was on Maria Menounos’ podcast that will air on 10/26 on Apple Podcasts. In a preview clip, she explained that she was experiencing a lot of head pain, which turned out to be post-concussion symptoms.

“I was having head pain, I couldn’t function,” Banks told Menounos. “I couldn’t drive, I couldn’t sleep. I’m like ‘I need to go get checked out’. I went to several neurologists and they just pretty much told me that I have post concussion syndrome so just rest, rest, rest. Kinda scary, it was like ‘Am I even going to make Evolution?’”

Banks was taken off television in early September and didn’t wrestle for over a month due to what at the time was an unspecified injury. She returned to television two weeks ago on the October 15 edition of Raw, siding with Natalya and Bayley against the Riott Squad. Her first match back was on 10/21 when she teamed with Bayley and Dana Brooke, defeating the Riott Squad.