DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, notoriusvig said:

Where does one find NOAH shows?

Old individual matches are pretty easy to find. All the famous ones are either on YouTube or Dailymotion. But shows are much harder to track down. For these shows specifically, I found this Dailymotion playlist with the entirety of NOAH Departure 2004. There is luckily a YouTube video with the entirety of the NOAH Destiny 2005 show.

If you wanna watch current NOAH, Puroresu Dream posts the shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Old individual matches are pretty easy to find. All the famous ones are either on YouTube or Dailymotion. But shows are much harder to track down. For these shows specifically, I found this Dailymotion playlist with the entirety of NOAH Departure 2004. There is luckily a YouTube video with the entirety of the NOAH Destiny 2005 show.

If you wanna watch current NOAH, Puroresu Dream posts the shows.

https://i.youku.com/i/UMzU2ODg0OTU2/videos 

Man, I am bummed.

Legit on the verge of tears and that's just from reading it on social media and not actually having seen it.

53 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Man, I am bummed.

Legit on the verge of tears and that's just from reading it on social media and not actually having seen it.

It doesn't take much for me to turn into a weepy ball of mush. I was a mess during the last half hour of Dead Man Walking (Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn) last night. Rollins out there crying did it to me again.

C'mon friends, bleach blonde and dark beard is one of the best territory looks there ever was, made famous by Embry and Corino. If anything PJ Black just needs some big Puerto Rico style gig marks on his forehead to complete the look.

8 hours ago, Swiftian said:

As a kid, I think the first guy I ever saw with that look was Rip Rogers. Man, I thought he was weird.

I couldn't understand how someone with that physique was a jobber when I started watching WCW

On 10/21/2018 at 6:58 PM, FlaeBlazer said:

If I’m correct, both shows sold out the Dome, right? Didn’t 2005 draw more? Because on paper, the 2005 looked way more star studded and while I know the numbers are worked, NOAH claims 2005 drew 4000 more people which is believable because of the card.

I tried three times answering to that, everytime I somehow erased my reply. Anyway... I was a pretty avid member of the puro community String Style Spirit back then. Crowds (or the lack thereof) for Tokyo Dome shows were a huge topic of discussion back then. I remember the thinking, that New Japan claiming 50 000 was considered something like maybe high 20ks in attendance with at best 20 k being paid. 

IIRC, NOAHs first show sold sth like low 20 000s. There were apparently sources or at least some weird pseudo sources for this. The second Show sold considerably better, my brain wants to convince me it was over 30 000. But my memory doesn't provide any sources for this. No idea how many actual fans were in attendance. I do remember NOAH while on their European Tour in 2005 giving out official numbers that were at least 2x the actual maximum capacity of the location, for whatever it is worth. 

I personally think the second show had the higher level in regards to wrestling. I still prefer the first show because of the fact that it felt less supercardy for me. There were wrestlers from other promotions, but there still was the weird old men match to open the show, and a NOAH main event. You also had Scorpio all those funny, whacky gaijins like Modest, Morgan and Richard Slinger. 

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I tried three times answering to that, everytime I somehow erased my reply. Anyway... I was a pretty avid member of the puro community String Style Spirit back then. Crowds (or the lack thereof) for Tokyo Dome shows were a huge topic of discussion back then. I remember the thinking, that New Japan claiming 50 000 was considered something like maybe high 20ks in attendance with at best 20 k being paid. 

IIRC, NOAHs first show sold sth like low 20 000s. There were apparently sources or at least some weird pseudo sources for this. The second Show sold considerably better, my brain wants to convince me it was over 30 000. But my memory doesn't provide any sources for this. No idea how many actual fans were in attendance. I do remember NOAH while on their European Tour in 2005 giving out official numbers that were at least 2x the actual maximum capacity of the location, for whatever it is worth. 

I personally think the second show had the higher level in regards to wrestling. I still prefer the first show because of the fact that it felt less supercardy for me. There were wrestlers from other promotions, but there still was the weird old men match to open the show, and a NOAH main event. You also had Scorpio all those funny, whacky gaijins like Modest, Morgan and Richard Slinger. 

NJPW for example, currently has been announcing real paid numbers as they are preparing to go public, and they announced 35,000 for WK12. The Wrestling Observer reported that there were 43,000 people in the building. It was said to be the highest selling Japanese wrestling card since 2005, which was NOAH Destiny. Would you say WK 12 actually legit drew more people than NOAH Destiny?

Or even in general, what’s more popular, peak NOAH or current NJPW?

33 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'm pretty sure Meltzer has said that both of NOAH's Dome shows were heavily papered.

Is current NJPW more popular than peak NOAH? Because it seems WK12 drew better than the NOAH Dome shows and WK13 almost certainly will too.

8 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

C'mon friends, bleach blonde and dark beard is one of the best territory looks there ever was, made famous by Embry and Corino. If anything PJ Black just needs some big Puerto Rico style gig marks on his forehead to complete the look.

I think it's the full beard, and more natural dye look, that ruins it. The hair should be Flair-level so it turns orange with blood loss and fuck that beard is just awful. Hiro Saito looks better than you dude...

I guess it depends on what you mean by "more popular." I'm sure current New Japan generates more revenue than NOAH ever did, but the top NOAH guys like Misawa, Kobashi, and Takayama were much bigger stars than the current New Japan crew.

Speaking of current New Japan, I had a dream the other night that I had a 60 minute 2/3 falls match with Kazuchika Okada in a junkyard. I made him cry when I worked on his arm.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "more popular." I'm sure current New Japan generates more revenue than NOAH ever did, but the top NOAH guys like Misawa, Kobashi, and Takayama were much bigger stars than the current New Japan crew.

Speaking of current New Japan, I had a dream the other night that I had a 60 minute 2/3 falls match with Kazuchika Okada in a junkyard. I made him cry when I worked on his arm.

As in if you had two supercards with peak NOAH and current NJPW at the Tokyo Dome, which would draw more people?

Regardless of which is more popular, I'd take a Kobashi/Akiyama Dome main event over a 7 star Okada/Omega Meltzer GOAT classic.

3 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

NJPW for example, currently has been announcing real paid numbers as they are preparing to go public, and they announced 35,000 for WK12. The Wrestling Observer reported that there were 43,000 people in the building. It was said to be the highest selling Japanese wrestling card since 2005, which was NOAH Destiny. Would you say WK 12 actually legit drew more people than NOAH Destiny?

Or even in general, what’s more popular, peak NOAH or current NJPW?

A legit 35 k paid is a great number. Destiny might have been in the same ballpark, but I really don't remember. Maybe TWO has a few legit numbers. I recall both NOAH crowds seeming livelier than New Japan's crowd up until Sasaki v Kobashi, after which they.appeared somewhat drained. 

2 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

As in if you had two supercards with peak NOAH and current NJPW at the Tokyo Dome, which would draw more people?

It would depend on the matchups. But all other things being equal, a NOAH show headlined by Kobashi vs. a replacement-level opponent would most likely do better business than a New Japan show headlined by Okada or Omega vs. a replacement-level opponent.