DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

15 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I just watched both of them in full for the first time and I’m wondering what y’all think. What’s the better NOAH Tokyo Dome show? Departure in 2004 or Destiny in 2005? Both great shows and they’re about equal for me. The Kobashi matches were obviously the MOTNs but I think I like Kobashi/Akiyama more than Kobashi/Sasaki. When grading shows, I tend to put a lot of weight into the quality of the main event because that’s ultimately the match that leaves the taste in your mouth at the end, good or bad. Departure main event of Kobashi/Akiyama smokes the final Misawa/Kawada encounter but I think the overall Destiny card top to bottom is considerably stronger so it’s about a push.

Both great cards. I'd go with 2004 for Kobashi vs. Akiyama as nothing from either show tops it.

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Both great cards. I'd go with 2004 for Kobashi vs. Akiyama as nothing from either show tops it.

If I’m correct, both shows sold out the Dome, right? Didn’t 2005 draw more? Because on paper, the 2005 looked way more star studded and while I know the numbers are worked, NOAH claims 2005 drew 4000 more people which is believable because of the card.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:17 AM, AxB said:

Patrick Lennon (the guy who had the Pro-Wrestling column in the Daily Star for like 12 years) said that when Angle left/ was fired from WWE he (Lennon) phoned Angle up to try and do a five minute interview, just to see how he was taking it. And Angle went off a furious angry rant... for about six hours. Which Lennon wouldn't have minded, but he said if he'd have put anything Angle said in those six hours in his column and printed it, neither one of them would have ever worked in Wrestling again. So I think there was a legit concern that Angle was not only breaking down physically at that time, but mentally/ emotionally/ psychically as well.

I remember hearing Angle doing a local radio interview very shortly after he left WWE and he sounded like he was definitely on something.  I remember calling a friend of mine to tell him to turn on the radio, telling him, "this guy is super fucked up right now."

On 10/19/2018 at 11:52 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Brent Albright was awesome. Albright getting heat for being a "Benoit clone" when he was brought in as Benoit's protégé is a typical WWE move where there is no logical explanation, so you just shrug your shoulders like Yano and say "because WWE?". Gunner Scott was also a piss poor ring name. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Brent Albright.

I was about to post "Gunner Scott" sounds like something from the Country Musician Name Generator.  Then I Iooked it up and remembered that's the name of a character on the show Nashville.

Albright was really good in OVW. This is when WWE was actively trying to ruin OVW call ups. Way worse they do to NXT guys now. 

I think someone was wanting to make OVW look bad so they could justify moving developmental to a promotion they owned. 

• Like 1

I think that's why Triple H politcing his way into his position now is the best thing that could have ever happened because it prevented bullshit like that from taking place.

Wasn't the fact FCW got the developmental nod over PWA (despite PWA having everything set up ready to go whereas FCW didn't even have plumbing) the reason Booker T left WWE and was a choice solely made because Big Johnny wanted to go to Florida more?

It was not always so, though. Watch the 1992 Rumble and see how many times someone comes out and you think "Well, there's a guy who never got out of midcard purgatory". Because it is not very often.

47 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Part of me wants to say that NXT callups are still getting ruined.  But then I realize that everybody, except for a select handful, is pushed to the middle, on a treadmill to nowhere.

They are still not used well. But they are not sent out to die with no hope of getting over. There is no NXT equivalent to the Spirit Squad. 

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I think that's why Triple H politcing his way into his position now is the best thing that could have ever happened because it prevented bullshit like that from taking place.

Well there is some belief that Hunter was one of the people trying to sabotage OVW.

Not fully related. I was watching a clip about Jim Cornette selling the OVW tape library to WWE. WWE seemed to think they already owned OVW because they sent trainees and a little money. Despite OVW being started two years before working with WWE and all the TV tapings were paid for by OVW.

4 minutes ago, Victator said:

Well there is some belief that Hunter was one of the people trying to sabotage OVW.

Doesn't surprise me, he's the reason Tommy Dreamer left as head of talent relations which Triple H eventually consolidated into his role

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

NXT is better than OVW was at any point in time. 

That’s apples and oranges. 

OVW was/is more of a school with a television show attached. NXT is more of a super-indie. 

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Part of me wants to say that NXT callups are still getting ruined.  But then I realize that everybody, except for a select handful, is pushed to the middle, on a treadmill to nowhere.

Two different styles that conflict with one another.  One style tells everyone that they should interact with the crowd, build a following, and get over.  The other style tells you that you cannot get over unless explicitly told to get over by everyone at the top.

Imagine if they had suddenly called up Ciampa and Gargano to the main roster and have then team up. That’s basically what they did with Basham and Damaja. Or bringing up people and doing things like shaving their heads, ruining the opportunity for OVW to do a hair match,if they wanted a bald guy on the main roster. 

If nothing else, having Hunter being in charge of NXT means that stuff probably won’t happen Willy Nilly. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Could PJ look any more stupid? The only wrestler that should be allowed to rock dark facial hair with a blonde dye job is Mr. Gannosuke.

We would also accept the man he took the look in tribute to...

Spoiler

umanosuke-ueda-may-21-1985-pro-wrestling

...and the man continuing the tradition.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20170708103023