DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Everyone is getting their stories mixed up here.

Foley was in ROH for a few appearances, and he was so impressed with Punk and Joe that he pitched bringing them in directly to Vince soon after. It was nothing more than a discussion/idea he had where Foley would lead this quasi invasion.

Joe as Umaga was some internet nerd joining dots as that ^ came out around about the time Umaga debuted and people just jumped to the conclusion. Yes, it was BS.

As for Albright, he should've been a main eventer down the road. WWE called him up as 'Benoit's apprentice' then he got a load of shit behind the scenes for being a Benoit rip-off... yup, go figure. His run in ROH was okay after he got released but he seemed to be in that Chad Collyer mold of 'awesome mechanic who couldn't put a character together'

EDIT: My fourth post in a row where I inadvertently created a new page. What do I win?

6mstt19eagzy.gif

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think the rehab stuff is mostly revisionist history. The concern for his well-being mostly came from the fans. WWE was quick to release him and wash their hands of the situation, unlike with Bryan where they basically forced him to take a couple years off. I think the bigger thing at the time was Angle wanted a lighter schedule and Vince said no.

Eh, JBL called himself a wrestling god, but that was tongue and cheek. He was always portrayed as a dirty brawler. The answer is probably some generic indy try-hard that never made it big.

Didn't Angle say that he was really high or something and tried to fight Vince when they had a discussion over his schedule and move to ECW?

Patrick Lennon (the guy who had the Pro-Wrestling column in the Daily Star for like 12 years) said that when Angle left/ was fired from WWE he (Lennon) phoned Angle up to try and do a five minute interview, just to see how he was taking it. And Angle went off a furious angry rant... for about six hours. Which Lennon wouldn't have minded, but he said if he'd have put anything Angle said in those six hours in his column and printed it, neither one of them would have ever worked in Wrestling again. So I think there was a legit concern that Angle was not only breaking down physically at that time, but mentally/ emotionally/ psychically as well.

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why the hell would they expect a luchador, almost certainly on a pay by apperance basis to agree to lose his mask? Did WWE actually have plans for El Hijo del Santo if he lost the mask? I can only imagine those plans included losing a LHW title match to Taka before doing nothing else in WWF's piss poor excuse for a LHW division at the time.

The WWF powers that be thought that Santo didn't know how to work but was a good-looking guy so they might be able to do something with him if he dropped the mask.

I thought Joe did say that he would have been Umaga. Basically it was something along the lines of WWE wanted him earlier on, right around the time before they created Umaga, and Joe said he wouldn't have been able to be Samoa Joe though. He would have had to be this other guy and that guy sounded like Umaga.

7 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

As for Albright, he should've been a main eventer down the road. WWE called him up as 'Benoit's apprentice' then he got a load of shit behind the scenes for being a Benoit rip-off... yup, go figure. His run in ROH was okay after he got released but he seemed to be in that Chad Collyer mold of 'awesome mechanic who couldn't put a character together'

Brent Albright was awesome. Albright getting heat for being a "Benoit clone" when he was brought in as Benoit's protégé is a typical WWE move where there is no logical explanation, so you just shrug your shoulders like Yano and say "because WWE?". Gunner Scott was also a piss poor ring name. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Brent Albright. 

I disagree with the Chad Collyer comparison. I thought he had a good thing when he was doing the "Gun for Hire" gimmick in late '06-early '07 where he sold his services to Lacey and Larry Sweeney. I loved when Albright starting wearing the executioner's costume to the ring and his theme was changed to Ozzy's "I Don't Wanna Stop". Gabe made a big mis-step by putting Albright in the Hangmen 3 coming off the heels of his awesome title matches against Morishima and the three way against Morishima and Claudio. However, after the Hangmen 3 (minus BJ Whitmer) were dissolved into Sweet 'n Sour, Inc., the angle were Brent finally snaps and turns on Sweeney because of his abuse was great. The reaction in the Hammerstein when Albright turned was LOUD, as it was when he beat Adam Pearce for the NWA world title.

Snagged 3 more 90's FMW shows:

FMW Battle Resistance from 1/7/90 -- MOAR MASANOBU KURISU! MOAR ATSUSHI ONITA PUNCHING MARTIAL ARTISTS! Goto/Onita and Kurisu/Goto!
FMW Battle Brave in Korakuen 2/12/90 -- Konnan/Rey Misterio Sr... ONITA/KURISU barbed wire double hell barricade death match!
FMW Texas Street Fight 4/1/90 -- ONITA & GOTO/KURISU & DRAGON MASTER GOAT BRAWL! Tons of face punching and flying chairs in front of a wild heated Korakuen Hall! Can't wait to re-watch this match.

I would love an Onita vs. Teddy Hart feud. Someone's gotta book that. Make it Onita and Homicide vs. Teddy and Tarzan Goto and I'd be all over that.

I'd safely say Onita and Teddy are among 2 of my all-time favorites.

3 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

The WWF powers that be thought that Santo didn't know how to work but was a good-looking guy so they might be able to do something with him if he dropped the mask.

Let's reiterate this: they thought EL HIJO DEL FRICKIN SANTO COULDNT WORK. But he sure was handsome!

Jesus wept...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Let's reiterate this: they thought EL HIJO DEL FRICKIN SANTO COULDNT WORK. But he sure was handsome!

Jesus wept...

"Okay, pal! He'll be okay after we get rid of the mask and my son teaches him how to throw a punch! We'll have him feud with Santino! They can fight over which is better, lasagna or tacos! It's money, pal!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Is that like Steph thinking Yoshihiro Asai was too handsome to wear a mask as Ultimo Dragon?

Let's just say that Yoshihiro Asai  dodged a bullet, and leave it at that.

• Like 1

Here is the full story

The groundwork is being laid for a new wrestling promotion. It involves some of the top players in the industry and financial backing from a billionaire family already involved in professional sports.

Jim Ross and Chris Jericho have been working with renowned agent Barry Bloom in putting the pieces together. JR’s contract with WWE expires shortly and he has declined an offer to renew. He has been sending out feelers to select WWE performers, while Jericho has been handling the New Japan side. Bloom was recently in Japan taking meetings related to this deal.

The project is being financed by the Khan family. Shahid Khan, the patriarch, is one of the wealthiest men on the world (and a colorful personality). He owns the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham F.C. of the English Premier League. Shahid’s son, Tony, is a big wrestling fan and has been hands-on with getting this off the ground. He follows a few wrestlers on Twitter, including Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks and Marty Scurll.

Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks are on board, as are Hangman Page and a few others. Kenny Omega’s status is unclear. For what it’s worth, Bill Goldberg is a client of Barry Bloom, along with JR and Jericho. When The Elite has talked about sticking together next year, this is what they’ve been alluding to. Jim Ross has been coy about this on his podcast, vaguely teasing something big on the horizon without showing his cards.

With the A-level talent they are getting commitments from, the group will burn through a ton of cash quickly. They are moving forward with the understanding that significant losses are expected for the first couple years.

Talks are underway with AXS to secure a TV deal. AXS TV executive Adam Swift is fast-tracking this. AXS currently airs New Japan Pro Wrestling and recently announced Jeanie Buss’ Women of Wrestling premieres in January. Sinclair Broadcasting, which provided logistical support for All In and has been acting in good faith, has been in the dark about this story.

The timeline for this going live is 12-16 months from now (late 2019 / early 2020).

I enjoy between this and trying to buy Wembley - Khan is gonna make sure he doesn't take anything with him when he goes

• Like 1

It sounds cool, but let's wait and see how much money this guy is willing to lose the first couple years. Everyone thinks it sounds great because the guys a billionaire, but we've heard this story before with Panda Energy, Sinclair, etc. 

Plus who knows if this is even true??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the full story

I enjoy between this and trying to buy Wembley - Khan is gonna make sure he doesn't take anything with him when he goes

He's not buying Wembley any more. He realised voter's opinion was not in favour, and he backed out on Wednesday.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the full story

So, it will be like NJPW but without any Japanese guys? No, thank you.