DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Jeff Hardy let his contract expire when he was the hottest babyface in the country in WWE and next showed up in TNA.

Of course, like the day after he left WWE was when he got arrested in the drug bust so ymmv on what his eventual plan was. Obviously his life was spiraling out of control but he did walk coming off a pretty big main event run.  

Why the hell would they expect a luchador, almost certainly on a pay by apperance basis to agree to lose his mask? Did WWE actually have plans for El Hijo del Santo if he lost the mask? I can only imagine those plans included losing a LHW title match to Taka before doing nothing else in WWF's piss poor excuse for a LHW division at the time.

• Like 1

The WWE have a long standing belief that everything the WWE has ever done is better and more important than everything everyone else has ever done.

And when that belief is proven false, it doesn't count because the WWE owns everyone else's history too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I don't know if I'd count Angle. IIRC, Vince wanted him to go to rehab as a condition of him staying and Kurt wasn't ready to admit he had a problem so he went to TNA. I don't know if I'd call that him willingly choosing TNA over WWE. Maybe choosing TNA over rehab and taking time off so that he didn't seriously hurt himself in the ring is more accurate.

I think the rehab stuff is mostly revisionist history. The concern for his well-being mostly came from the fans. WWE was quick to release him and wash their hands of the situation, unlike with Bryan where they basically forced him to take a couple years off. I think the bigger thing at the time was Angle wanted a lighter schedule and Vince said no.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Who is the worst wrestler to have a 'great wrestler' gimmick? JBL?

Eh, JBL called himself a wrestling god, but that was tongue and cheek. He was always portrayed as a dirty brawler. The answer is probably some generic indy try-hard that never made it big.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just when you thought you've seen one of the dumbest things WWE could ever do, you're reminded that they asked Santito to lose his mask.

They understand very little outside of their own style and social media metrics, so this is no surprise.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why the hell would they expect a luchador, almost certainly on a pay by apperance basis to agree to lose his mask? Did WWE actually have plans for El Hijo del Santo if he lost the mask? I can only imagine those plans included losing a LHW title match to Taka before doing nothing else in WWF's piss poor excuse for a LHW division at the time.

As compared to 205 Live now?

• Like 1

EDIT: This is in reply to Go2Sleep's post.

Don't talk about Teddy Hart that way!

In terms of guys who had a choice between WWE and TNA, does Matt Hardy count? He was a free agent for a good while before going to TNA for his world title run and the eventual Broken angle. And he didn't want to do the WWE schedule at that time (for good reason, look what it did to him).

When Umaga first showed up doing a barefoot savage gimmick, this board's reaction was to say Samoa Joe was right to join TNA because that would have been his WWE gimmick.

Also, it's tongue in cheek, not and.

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

In terms of guys who had a choice between WWE and TNA, does Matt Hardy count? He was a free agent for a good while before going to TNA for his world title run and the eventual Broken angle. And he didn't want to do the WWE schedule at that time (for good reason, look what it did to him).

I don't know if Matt Hardy's a good example of that one: After TNA fell back to earth, Matt was effectively blackballed from WWE for how far he sank, made it to TNA for a short term, somehow had sank so low EVEN TNA thought he had gone too far and got rid of him- went to ROH, basically settled down, got back to TNA, got the World Title run/Broken angle, and then finally got brought back to WWE.

The only time you can say Matt Hardy could punch his own ticket and decide was in 2005 after the love triangle problem- and even there, depending on your side of the story either Matt Hardy was called back during the 90 day no-compete by WWE after agreeing to terms with TNA, or left TNA at the altar to go back to WWE. Either way, he's not a good choice. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

When Umaga first showed up doing a barefoot savage gimmick, this board's reaction was to say Samoa Joe was right to join TNA because that would have been his WWE gimmick.

Did WWE have interest in Joe in 2005? I don't remember, but long term it was probably good he didn't show up until the NXT glory days.

The first Sabu vs Cactus Jack match in ECW was hurt by the fact that Cactus wanted to tell a story, but the fans wanted to see uncontrolled mayhem. Does that count?

2 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

They understand very little outside of their own style and social media metrics, so this is no surprise.

As compared to 205 Live now?

205 Live isn't perfect, but it's hell of a lot better than the LHW division and the initial WWE CW division in 2002.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

We should be surprised they didn't keep Rey unmasked from WCW. 

Very true but thankfully if not for his mask sales we’d have seen it possibly multiple times maybe even broken Rey Mysterio. 

7 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Did WWE have interest in Joe in 2005? I don't remember, but long term it was probably good he didn't show up until the NXT glory days.

The rumor I remember going around in late 2004-early 2005 was Mick Foley being sent to ROH to try to get either Punk or Joe to sign with WWE.

It was for the better that Joe didn't go earlier. For one, he most likely would have been repackaged. He probably ends up as a monster of the month, gets fed to Cena, then ends up back down amongst the rest of the pack. For all of WWE's terrible booking, Joe has been booked strong, even in defeat. If I were running things, I would have had Joe win the belt from AJ, and the next feud being between Joe/Bryan/AJ.