DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Always wondered, never asked: Why is a Moonsault called a Moonsault? I get the sault part, as in Somersault, but what's it got to do with the Moon? Shouldn't it be Mutasault?

7 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Booker T, and I'd say Kurt Angle counts too even though there were some push and pull factors at play there.

But TNA being in this conversation is a joke, since they are worse head to head with Crockett/WCW by every metric imaginable. I'd rank ROH above TNA in terms of significance to American wrestling.

Absolutely. Look at all the guys that made their way to WWE, either from ROH directly or from ROH to TNA to WWE. I'm not going to list them all, but it's hell of a long list. Sometimes, if I can't sleep I'll rattle off the list that have worked ROH and WWE. That usually works...and Trazodone, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Absolutely. Look at all the guys that made their to WWE, either from ROH directly or from ROH to TNA to WWE. I'm not going to list them all, but it's hell of a long list.

Not just that, but they actually influenced WWE's in-ring style too. NXT in its current state doesn't happen without ROH.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If I recall, he was undefeated on Velocity, then they wanted him to cut his hair, and he said no and left without doing a job, which I think is one of the few times someone's gotten away with that in WWE.

I've heard two stories about Kazarian's reason for quitting WWE. The aforementioned haircut story, and someone working in the office (the person's name was never given) saw Kazarian walking around backstage, asked who he was and how he got backstage. Kazarian got offended that someone from the office didn't know he worked for the company, so he quit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I got 2 weeks in, there’s only so much Grado a man can take. 

Same, the Ninja Warrior production and IMMEDIATE REPLAYS after a move was doing my head in.

As a potential cure, Revolution Pro is debuting on Freesports tomorrow (19/10). Think they held tapings for it last month. Any UK peeps interested you can find it on:

Sky: Channel 422
Freeview: Channel 95
Virgin Media: Channel 553

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Booker T, and I'd say Kurt Angle counts too even though there were some push and pull factors at play there.

But TNA being in this conversation is a joke, since they are worse head to head with Crockett/WCW by every metric imaginable. I'd rank ROH above TNA in terms of significance to American wrestling.

I don't know if I'd count Angle. IIRC, Vince wanted him to go to rehab as a condition of him staying and Kurt wasn't ready to admit he had a problem so he went to TNA. I don't know if I'd call that him willingly choosing TNA over WWE. Maybe choosing TNA over rehab and taking time off so that he didn't seriously hurt himself in the ring is more accurate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Grado's gimmick was that he's a guy who wants to be a Wrestler, despite the fact that he is in no way, shape or form eligible to be one. But then he became a Wrestler, so he's kind of doing a 'Happy to be here' gimmick, crossed with a working class Scotsman gimmick, crossed with an immature person gimmick.

How many gimmicks does that guy have? He's like 1995/96 DDP who came to the ring with a cigar, fancy coat, sunglasses, a roided up bodyguard, a hot score card holding valet who he later swindled out of bingo winnings before going broke and then having a mysterious benefactor sponsor him.

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

How many gimmicks does that guy have? He's like 1995/96 DDP who came to the ring with a cigar, fancy coat, sunglasses, a roided up bodyguard, a hot score card holding valet who he later swindled out of bingo winnings before going broke and then having a mysterious benefactor sponsor him.

How many gimmicks does anyone have? What's Dolph Ziggler's gimmick? He's a great athlete who's there to steal the show with his great athleticism, good looks, charisma and sparkling wit*, who wants to be a champion and is friends with a big Scotsman and a Monster, and he likes 80s Metal and has good hair and terrible fashion sense. And that's just the last couple of months.

Who is the worst wrestler to have a 'great wrestler' gimmick? JBL?

*nb: The fact that he is, by board consensus at least, a mediocre worker whose jokes aren't even remotely funny isn't a part of his gimmick. The WWE isn't looking for that sort of pathos. I can't think of many times they've done an intentional 'guy who thinks he's funny' gimmick, but there's been a lot of unintentional ones.

There's an NXT Live event and the inaugural IWA Florida TV tapings on the same day at the same time down here next week. Not sure which one to go to... ?

14 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If I recall, he was undefeated on Velocity, then they wanted him to cut his hair, and he said no and left without doing a job, which I think is one of the few times someone's gotten away with that in WWE.

I think Braden Walker also shares that distinction. He started out along with me in the ASWA in 1994, as well as Future Shock (seven-footer who wrestled in Memphis for a brief while).