DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Seriously, there is some really good discourse about the theoretical #2. If we count the NWA as a single entity (and we shouldn't since the "A" means "alliance", which by definition means more than one). We're left with looking at longevity but that longevity is limited to a single region, artistic merits which we can belabor to death and it all comes down to personal taste. Trying to find the middle ground is an interesting dilemma, as far as I'm concerned, artistiucally, you have to go quite some distance to be better than current NJPW, but I recall it wasn't all that long ago when Tanahashi and Lyger were pretty much the only bright spots amid an otherwise lackluster product. AJPW pretty much ruled it for over a decade, so I think AxB may well be right in his estimation. 

19 hours ago, OSJ said:

Seriously, there is some really good discourse about the theoretical #2. If we count the NWA as a single entity (and we shouldn't since the "A" means "alliance", which by definition means more than one). We're left with looking at longevity but that longevity is limited to a single region, artistic merits which we can belabor to death and it all comes down to personal taste. Trying to find the middle ground is an interesting dilemma, as far as I'm concerned, artistiucally, you have to go quite some distance to be better than current NJPW, but I recall it wasn't all that long ago when Tanahashi and Lyger were pretty much the only bright spots amid an otherwise lackluster product. AJPW pretty much ruled it for over a decade, so I think AxB may well be right in his estimation. 

But that also ties to the big question that really makes the discussion big:

What's more important: Peak or Longevity?

Artistic merits is down to personal taste, but really "how big was their peak" and "how long did they last" seem to be the best ones to determine it.

Longevity wise, you just can't beat CMLL. Peak-wise, it's hard to beat WCW.  And if you go in the middle- New Japan and hell, even TNA are suddenly in the discussion (TNA had spent many years as a joke, but "16 years of longevity" and "at their peak in 2005-10, they had a major national TV deal on Spike TV, had video games, had merchandising, were able to get major WWE stars to leave WWE for them pretty regularly, and generally came the closest since the WWE monopoly to making WWE break a sweat".)

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm glad Owens will get a little time off to come back fresh. As great as his stuff with Elias has been, I'd really like to see him go to SD and work with AJ, Bryan, Joe, Miz etc. but who knows what the landscape will even look like eight months from now

I never ever want to see AJ vs Owens again. 

• Like 1

I think that WoS is the loveliest, most aesthetically pleasing form of wrestling. The best workers of that style know how to make rolling through a counter to an armbar look like magic. 

• Thanks 1

The old WoS, from the 70s, yeah. Not so much this year's version. It was a ten week season, and I've watched six so far. I think everyone else on the board no-sold it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I think that WoS is the loveliest, most aesthetically pleasing form of wrestling. The best workers of that style know how to make rolling through a counter to an armbar look like magic. 

Agreed. Johnny Saint is easily my favorite from that era. He gets a lot of slack because a lot of his matches look like exhibitions, but his technique the dude has a legit Catch background and pulls off some beautiful techniques and transitions.

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

The old WoS, from the 70s, yeah. Not so much this year's version. It was a ten week season, and I've watched six so far. I think everyone else on the board no-sold it.

I haven't really watched much new WoS, but yeah, I should have clarified that I'm talking about '70s WoS, which I actually think is my favorite thing about wrestling aside from '70s and '80s Portland and '80s NWA.

And '97 Bret Hart. 

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Did anyone besides Christian willingly leave the WWE for TNA?

Booker T, and I'd say Kurt Angle counts too even though there were some push and pull factors at play there.

But TNA being in this conversation is a joke, since they are worse head to head with Crockett/WCW by every metric imaginable. I'd rank ROH above TNA in terms of significance to American wrestling.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AxB said:

I got 2 weeks in, there’s only so much Grado a man can take. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I was supposed to have a Scottish pal on to discuss it, but it was so blah, Inever got around to watching them yet.