DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Vince goes National should be number one. It's one thing to betray one or two individuals, it's another to betray an entire industry.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, D.Z said:

As for monetary success, the fed  that had more periods of making money, made the most money, more boom periods that made money etc. The most profits and revenue made over years and periods matter to this category. Is the winner for second place. 

Wouldn’t this be NJPW? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are they still not allowed to use Hulk in these stupid listicles? 

Andre, Orndorff, Sid, ...

Whoa, whoa, WHOA....

Orndorff is #1 on that list by a wide margin.  Paul calls Hogan on the phone, Hogan is too busy to answer, Paul takes it personally,  loses it and beats the shit out of him.  In today's world, Paul is a fucking psycho.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

In today's world he's even more justified. Who doesn't have their phone on them?

Raises hand. I leave it in my car quite often when I'm shopping. I don't even bother take my phone if I'm out with my older brother.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

In today's world he's even more justified. Who doesn't have their phone on them?

I didn't even own a mobile phone until three months ago. And I only got one then because my boss bought one for me (he needed me to have one, for work). I'd happily do without.

Not a psychopath.

• Like 3

No, you're a psychopath. YOU MUST STAY CONNECTED AT ALL COSTS TO YOUR PERSONAL HAPPINESS. You might miss out on something that makes your furious or sad that you don't actually care about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Between that creepy head turn, driving at the speed of his entrances and blasting Kid Rock on the radio, no matter the version, Taker would be the worst Uber driver ever regardless.

The Bellas turn on Rousey was shocking. I mean, they’d been close, close friends for hours. Maybe even days! That’s no way to treat your best friend that you met for the first time last week. They’d traveled the backstage area together, up and down the hallways. It’s just sad that they’d throw that all away because...uh...because of...um...some reason. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Player One said:

I gotta admit... when I see a younger person (under 50, if not older) who doesn't carry a mobile phone of some sort, I get curious as to why.

I'm 44. And I didn't have a mobile phone because I couldn't get out of the 80s mindset that owning one made you a self-important wanker.

Of course, you're expected to be a self-important wanker now. It's a nice surprise to meet someone who isn't. A very rare nice surprise.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm 44. And I didn't have a mobile phone because I couldn't get out of the 80s mindset that owning one made you a self-important wanker.

Of course, you're expected to be a self-important wanker now. It's a nice surprise to meet someone who isn't. A very rare nice surprise.

Does refusing to own a mobile phone because you think people that do are self-important wankers also make you a self-important wanker?

• Like 5

22 hours ago, D.Z said:

CMLL wins the case for longevity. With CMLL first place , WWWF/WWF/WWE second place.  Won't bother with NWA...

As for monetary success, the fed  that had more periods of making money, made the most money, more boom periods that made money etc. The most profits and revenue made over years and periods matter to this category. Is the winner for second place. 

Even if CMLL is the longest-running promotion in the world and the top lucha promotion out there...saying that CMLL is number one in the world and WWE is number two somehow manages to make the argument "no, WCW is not number two because they lost money, but CWF or Portland is because they were in the black even if no one saw it" somehow seem credible by comparison.

6 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even if CMLL is the longest-running promotion in the world and the top lucha promotion out there...saying that CMLL is number one in the world and WWE is number two somehow manages to make the argument "no, WCW is not number two because they lost money, but CWF or Portland is because they were in the black even if no one saw it" somehow seem credible by comparison.

I never said CMLL is the number one successful in money. Only in longevity as staying around. The question wasn't about global reach either.

Stop seeing things that aren't there.

On October 12, 2018 at 3:32 AM, FlaeBlazer said:

What is the second most successful wrestling promotion of all time? When taking into account, both peak and longevity. 

This was the question. Not a single fed would tick all boxes because certain feds have one thing over the other. 

Dunno if it's been mentioned but Cena is on the Jimmy Traina SI podcast. Really interesting long-form interview. Cena is a really interesting, weird dude. Very guarded and I get the feeling that he's fucking with the interviewer with how earnest and positive he is but a pretty revealing look at what's going on with him. 

19 hours ago, nofuture said:

Those betrayals were justified, Hogan was a jerk to them.

Orndorff sure, but not Andre.

We never saw Andre ask for a title shot, so we can't say for sure whether Hulk would or would not have granted it. Something like that would likely be out of the champ's hand and a decision to be made by Tunney or some championship committee. (Did the WWF ever have a kayfabe championship committee?)

Plus, it's not Hulk's fault that they gave him a bigger trophy than Andre. He did make a point of coming out and congratulating him in person.

Savage was 1000% justified in turning on Hulk. Those jealous eyes....

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Let's just judge it on purely artistic merits and agree AJPW is number one.

If it's judged by purely artistic merits, then it has to be any promotion that featured Biomonster DNA. C'mon guy.