DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

. But on the other hand, more to your point, a modern wrestling crowd these days i think probably has just as much crossover with Comicon or a Marvel movie, and skews a little younger.

The fanbase is said getting older. WWE and wrestling depends on older fans willing to spend more money. It has been mixed with nerd culture. But I think wrestling and other sports appeal to subsections of nerds. Look at football, you have dense continuity, colorful costumes, big characters and lots of stats. Nerds are gonna love that. Same with wrestling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Kid Rock got booed hard when he did his brief bit of politics at the Hall as well.

Kid Rock should be booed hard no matter what the fuck he's doing.

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

That said, Hogan probably had enough loyalty to NJPW that he wouldn't do it unless Onita threw absolutely stupid money at him.

I dont know what fantasy booking I am more disappointed didn't happen: Hogan vs Onita in the exploding cage headlining a 90s FMW stadium show, or Onita guesting as a "baddie of the week" on Thunder in Paradise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

I wouldn't have minded seeing Mr. Pogo carve up both Hogan and Trump with a scythe, does that make me a bad person?

Can we have Onita do it?

How about a deathmatch with Jun Kasai vs. the racist orange goblins?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can we have Onita do it?

How about a deathmatch with Jun Kasai vs. the racist orange goblins?

"Hey, cool, this guy has the same shit on his pants as we have on our armbands."

Jun Kasai: "Mine are Buddhist you dumb fuck!" And then smashes a million light tubes over everyone's heads.

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

"Hey, cool, this guy has the same shit on his pants as we have on our armbands."

Jun Kasai: "Mine are Buddhist you dumb fuck!" And then smashes a million light tubes over everyone's heads.

Well played, bravo!

Juan Cena's on The Daily Show pimping his children's book. Newsflash: his hair looks less surreal and more subtle now. I think he's got product in it or something.

EDIT: As I wrote that (AS I WROTE THAT) he brings up his "pompadour", points out his bald spot, and says the Internet is lighting up over it hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, OSJ said:

I wouldn't have minded seeing Mr. Pogo carve up both Hogan and Trump with a scythe, does that make me a bad person?

16 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If that makes one a bad person then I guess I'm a rather terrible bastard for all the times I've done this in Fire Pro.

I downloaded a Trump CAW in 2K19 and made him the manager of a New World Order stable with Vince, Dibiase, and a Hogan CAW. (A little on the nose, granted.) It has been very satisfying to have Rey Jr beat the hell out of him with a baseball bat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Hasn't it been found in demographic studies that in the modern era, pro wrestling fans are actually one of the most liberal fanbases out there? 

That's probably why WWE is faltering right now.  Vince's right-wing belief system really bleeds through into the storylines and booking, and what Vince believes is not what his fanbase believes.  For example, the right wing has a real hardon for the laughable myth of American exceptionalism/individualism and it informs the booking of every babyface Vince has.  Shit, the Shield JUST got back together and they're already teasing a breakup.  Only heels have each other's backs.  Babyfaces are all "self made" and act alone.   A more liberal fanbase is not going to be down with this cynical bullshit over and over.

Here's a really good post I read a while back that contrasts New Japan's stable system with WWE's "everybody is out to get you so fuck them first" style.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I downloaded a Trump CAW in 2K19 and made him the manager of a New World Order stable with Vince, Dibiase, and a Hogan CAW. (A little on the nose, granted.) It has been very satisfying to have Rey Jr beat the hell out of him with a baseball bat.

I like Dibiase so I'd take him out of the stable.  But that is an excellent idea and I can't wait to do that.  And @OSJ, if you were up for modern videogames you could always setup a Steam account and get the Fire Pro.  It's rather easy to get whoever you want and carve up fools like turkeys.

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like Dibiase so I'd take him out of the stable.  But that is an excellent idea and I can't wait to do that.  And @OSJ, if you were up for modern videogames you could always setup a Steam account and get the Fire Pro.  It's rather easy to get whoever you want and carve up fools like turkeys.

Replace DiBiase with Joe Koff from Sinclair Broadcasting.

• Thanks 1

Meltz on the staggering amount of shows already booked for Mania weekend, six months away:

For 4/4, which is Thursday, the WWN crew (which runs at Club La Boom in Queens) has Evolve at Noon, wXw at 4 p.m., DDT at 8 p.m., and Kaiju Big Battel at midnight in Queens. There is the MLW tapings at 7 p.m. at the Melrose Ballroom while the WrestleCon as the Super Show (Hilton Midtown Manhattan) at 7 p.m. There are also events at White Eagle Hall in Jersey City with the Powerbomb TV family at Noon, Interspecies Wrestling at 8 p.m. and Joey Janela’s Gamechanger Wrestling on that day at a time to be announced. 4/5 has WWN events of Shimmer at Noon, and WWN Super show at 4 p.m. The Hilton Midtown Manhattan has Revolution Pro at 4 p.m., and Joey Ryan’s Penis Party at 8 p.m. White Eagle Hall has CHIKARA at Noon, Black Label Pro at 4 p.m. and Blackcraft Wrestling at midnight, plus another Gamechanger Wrestling show which would figure to be 8 p.m. since that’s open but that isn’t official. MLW is at 7 p.m. at the Melrose Ballroom. WWE has the Hall of Fame at the Barclays Center at 7 p.m. Saturday night is the head-to-head NJPW/ROH show in Madison Square Garden and NXT Takeover at the Barclays Center. The ROH/NJPW show is listed for a 7:30 p.m. start while the Takeover show is likely to start at 6:15 p.m. for the TV tapings and 7 for the live Takeover. There will also be a WWN show called the WWN Live Experience Wrap Up at 2 p.m. at The Bell House in Brooklyn and White Eagle Hall has Nova Pro Wrestling at Noon and IWS at 4 p.m

That's 24 and counting by my totals. La Boom is 20 minutes from my house and that DDT show is all but batting its eyes at me, come-hither fashion.

Meltzer from WON on the falling morale of NJPW wrestlers.

Let’s just say that the next few months are going to be very interesting. Some early contract offers made have raised some concern to go along with the issues mentioned in last week’s issue. While there is a lot of pride here for the quality of the matches stemming from the Kobe and Long Beach shows during what is usually the post-G-1 down period, and the great reaction to G-1 and its business success, but the new regime (Harold Meij and new General Manager Michael Craven) is very different and not experienced in dealing with wrestlers. There may be economics that we’re not aware of, but there was a lot about the U.S. expansion with enthusiasm, between the new dojo and running a regular California and West Coast second circuit (which I don’t think would have been a good idea) and the pull back from there, and other changes. But it feels like a lot has changed in the last 30 days. Craven, who is believed to be the head of talent relations as well as international expansion, may be the most unpopular guy among the wrestlers with the new regime. Craven I believe was the Tech Business Director at Hays Japan, managing technology recruitment for a company and had worked in IT recruitment for 20 years. He has lived in Japan since 1998, coming from the U.K. and has been involved in developing many of the top senior level technology executives in Asia. The initial reaction was that the feeling was that he talks down to the wrestlers and made strange comments and they know he has no background in wrestling, which is a very unique industry. Morale with the company was very high as you could tell by any interviews with the talent, particularly during G-1 where the level of work had led to high pride across the board with the feeling they were doing the best matches in the world and producing the best overall product. Now the morale is more weird than anything, with more uncertainty about what will happen next and less confidence than with the old administration. Another person noted that the new team has gotten off to a rough start and that all the wrestlers, both Japanese and American, are talking about how they feel like they are seen as workers in a factory assembly line as opposed to high level athletes or entertainers. The excitement so many had for working here has taken a hit. It’s really a bad time for that with the goal of international expansion and that fun vs. WWE money was a key to a lot of people, but if you lower the fun aspect, that changes the equation, and basically we’re coming in on the single most interesting and important contract season since New Japan started garnering some international growth. There are people who in the past had never even considered WWE who are thinking about it, and others who were completely committed to staying who are probably still leaning that way, but are considering the WWE option.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Meltz on the staggering amount of shows already booked for Mania weekend, six months away:

That's 24 and counting by my totals. La Boom is 20 minutes from my house and that DDT show is all but batting its eyes at me, come-hither fashion.

La Boom is 2 blocks from me.   I'm going to be spending so much fucking money that weekend.  

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And @OSJ, if you were up for modern videogames you could always setup a Steam account and get the Fire Pro.  It's rather easy to get whoever you want and carve up fools like turkeys.

Hmm, wasn't there some suggestion of restarting the DVDVR e-fed as a Fire Pro league? Maybe someone could just make @OSJ for that. 

45 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hmm, wasn't there some suggestion of restarting the DVDVR e-fed as a Fire Pro league? Maybe someone could just make @OSJ for that. 

I'd be down for that.  I know there was discussion in LoC but for whatever reason that fizzled out.

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like Dibiase so I'd take him out of the stable.  But that is an excellent idea and I can't wait to do that.  

Yeah, it started out as just Trump, Vince and Dibiase as a stable of rich guys (well, one rich guy and two guys pretending). But then I realized that adding Hogan and just calling them the New World Order added a few different layers to it, even if Dibiase is (as far as I know) a genuinely good guy who doesn't really fit as well, unless you consider his character's treatment of Virgil.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's probably why WWE is faltering right now.  Vince's right-wing belief system really bleeds through into the storylines and booking, and what Vince believes is not what his fanbase believes.  For example, the right wing has a real hardon for the laughable myth of American exceptionalism/individualism and it informs the booking of every babyface Vince has.  Shit, the Shield JUST got back together and they're already teasing a breakup.  Only heels have each other's backs.  Babyfaces are all "self made" and act alone.   A more liberal fanbase is not going to be down with this cynical bullshit over and over.

Here's a really good post I read a while back that contrasts New Japan's stable system with WWE's "everybody is out to get you so fuck them first" style.

Holy shit if this even has a kernal of truth to it. I mean, I consider myself a fairly conservative/libertarian guy, but I'm not against fucking FRIENDSHIP!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2