DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

8 hours ago, Web Conn said:

My favorite match might Vince vs Hogan at Mania 19. It had one hell of a backstory and build (Hulkamania, Vince and Hogan changing the game in the 80's, Hogan testifying against Vince, nWo, WCW almost beating Vince, Hogan at the forefront of that), tons of fucking blood, a ladder, Pipering showing up out of nowhere. What is there not to like about that match.

Aigh, you're right it's the perfect pro-wrestling storyline too. Never to be repeated. Fuck Hogan hitting an enzuigiri and axe bomber on Muta (*****), I'd much rather he had a test of strength with Mr McMahon and then kill him off with three leg drops

Its hard for me to separate nostalgia from what was good, but I'll throw in on 96-97 being the best time in wrestling as well. I was a teenager who just moved across the country and didn't have much but pro wrestling to keep me company, but at the same time the stuff going on was clearly a change in the better for the directions of WWF and WCW. I was diehard WWF and loved 93-95 but I really got engaged when the pre-Attitude era and the nWo kicked off, not to mention ECW being a whole different world that I had just discovered.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 5:03 PM, OSJ said:

Flair threw me off, I always forget that he and BJ had a territory once upon a time.

Think you're getting mixed up there. Flair and Mulligan were supposed to buy out Knoxville in 81 but Flair couldn't devote his time or attention to it as the NWA were in the process of making him the man. Cue a falling out between the two. Mulligan and Dick Murdoch later bought out Amarillo for some reason, paying £20k for a territory that was DOA and was promptly killed off by their poor booking and TV production

According to Kayfabememories, Knoxville was sold to a group that included Flair and Mulligan in 1980, but was closed by 1982.

"Sometime in late 1980 the Georgia group sold the promotion to a Carolina interest that included a joint partnership between Blackjack Mulligan and Ric Flair. Mulligan used the promotion to hone the skills of his son Barry Windham who was known at the time as Blackjack Mulligan Jr. When this ended in 1982, Ole Anderson's Georgia group ran in the summer of 1983."

https://www.kayfabememories.com/Regions/knoxville/knoxvilleintro-2.htm

• Like 1

So Cindy went THERE this morning, claiming that the troglodytes hooting and cheering Trump's incendiary talk at his rallies are the same people hooting and cheering at rassling shows and the like. I told her there's a huge honking difference between, say, Roman Reigns cutting an angry, blustery promo on his opponent and the freaking PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES* doing it, plus these guys are characters in a professional wrestling context, but she refused to let me off the hook. Has anyone else had this argument?

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

So Cindy went THERE this morning, claiming that the troglodytes hooting and cheering Trump's incendiary talk at his rallies are the same people hooting and cheering at rassling shows and the like. I told her there's a huge honking difference between, say, Roman Reigns cutting an angry, blustery promo on his opponent and the freaking PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES* doing it, plus these guys are characters in a professional wrestling context, but she refused to let me off the hook. Has anyone else had this argument?

I mean, I agree with you both. You're right, context completely matters. But she may be right too.. theyre not NOT a wrestling crowd. But on the other hand, more to your point, a modern wrestling crowd these days i think probably has just as much crossover with Comicon or a Marvel movie, and skews a little younger. Its got a little bit of that "nerd culture" appeal now. I'd say the rally crowds probably have more in common with old school crowds-- they're just marks of a different kind. Like I could totally see some of those folks throwing batteries and shit at like Don Kernodle 40 years ago. But there's no doubt in my mind that a lot of what makes our president so popular with certain folks is probably the same sentiment that made Steve Austin a star in the late 90s: "He's a straight shooter! Tells it like it is!" It's an interesting conversation for sure. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I mean, I agree with you both. You're right, context completely matters. But she may be right too.. theyre not NOT a wrestling crowd. But on the other hand, more to your point, a modern wrestling crowd these days i think probably has just as much crossover with Comicon or a Marvel movie, and skews a little younger. Its got a little bit of that "nerd culture" appeal now. I'd say the rally crowds probably have more in common with old school crowds-- they're just marks of a different kind. Like I could totally see some of those folks throwing batteries and shit at like Don Kernodle 40 years ago. But there's no doubt in my mind that a lot of what makes our president so popular with certain folks is probably the same sentiment that made Steve Austin a star in the late 90s: "He's a straight shooter! Tells it like it is!" It's an interesting conversation for sure. 

Hasn't it been found in demographic studies that in the modern era, pro wrestling fans are actually one of the most liberal fanbases out there? 

Even then, more of Trump seems less like it's "pro wrestling crowd as politics" and more "Trump runs his campaign like the popular 7th grader running for class president", where it's a good mix of "Vote for me and I promise there'll be good meals in the school cafeteria, no homework...shit, no CLASSwork, we'll all sit around and throw down in video games all day, it'll be a party 24/7" with "This other person? Yeah, they may have ideas- but they're a loser. You vote for them, YOU'RE a loser. And if he's president, we're all going to be seen as losers.I'm cool, so vote for me and it's like you're cool too and everyone knows we're cool because I lead you."

• Like 5

When he did that one press conference on the White House lawn a couple weeks ago I don't know if he said anything that was factual. The two stupidest things he said that day were that America wasn't responsible for The Great Depression and that Democrats don't support law enforcement.

Kid Rock got booed hard when he did his brief bit of politics at the Hall as well.

I'm trying not be very political myself here, but I think there's pretty simple evidence that the hardcore WWE fanbase isn't full of Trump supporters. I assume there's some that are (roughly 40% of the US population approves of him, after all) but I think it's fairly obvious on a whole the audience doesn't. Whether that means they supported his opponent, who knows?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

FMW was selling out arenas stadiums back then. It could have happened. 

That said, Hogan probably had enough loyalty to NJPW that he wouldn't do it unless Onita threw absolutely stupid money at him.

2 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I wouldn't have minded seeing Mr. Pogo carve up both Hogan and Trump with a scythe, does that make me a bad person?

If that makes one a bad person then I guess I'm a rather terrible bastard for all the times I've done this in Fire Pro.

• Like 4

New York,  Chicago,  Los Angeles.   Most fans at these events are going to be primarily from the city and most cities are going to be primarily Democrat voters.  I'd guess that any WWE fans who are Republican voters are coming primarily from suburbs and rural areas and they aren't getting to as many shows most likely so they aren't having their voices heard. 

I'd guess the split is the same with WWE fans as it is in general.  Some are big Trump supporters and some aren't.  

Also,  most fans in the audience at least at the shows I've been to lately are kids, teenagers,  young adults.  Democrats do very well in those demographics. But we know from TV ratings that a good portion of those viewers are 40+ 

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If that makes one a bad person then I guess I'm a rather terrible bastard for all the times I've done this in Fire Pro.

If I had Fire Pro... Well, let's just remember I'm a horror writer and leave it at that... Don't want to ruin anyone's dinner...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

That said, Hogan probably had enough loyalty to NJPW that he wouldn't do it unless Onita threw absolutely stupid money at him.

Pete: You do realize that you said "Hogan" and "loyalty" in the same sentence with "money", but that they were not connected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1