DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

22 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Or you could go the other way and it's the very first match someone ever saw, they enjoyed it, so it was a "good match". Which means it was, to them. Which makes them right.  And I'll second someone above in saying that criticizing someone who compliments you is very, very strange behavior. 

Austin Aries is that belligerent little fuck you knew in high school who twenty years later is still bitter that he was too small for the football team.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Good call! Hogan/Mutoh and Hogan/Hansen in Japan were pretty sweet as well. I've long defended Hogan as someone who could, (when he felt like it) work a hell of a good match. The NA audiences wanted the hulk-up, big boot and leg drop so that's what they got. The Japanese fans wouldn't have stood for such nonsense, so they got a good match.

Agree 100%. It baffled me when Meltzer said he was a terrible wrestler that one time he was trying to have a conversation with Ole.

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

My favorite year ever in wrestling. I've read that Lorne Michaels always says that people think the best SNL cast is whichever one was on while they were in high school, and I think the same might be true for wrestling and childhood. I mean, sure, I've seen plenty of incredible things in wrestling in the 21 years since, but there still isn't anything quite like seeimg everything you listed for the first time

I started watching wrestling in the peak of the Rock N Wrestling era in the mid-80s. I was in my late teens/early 20s during the '96 Bret return/rise of the Attitude Era. I still consider Bret's return at Survivor Series '96 through the crowing of Steve Austin at WM 14 my favorite time in wrestling. I've always been a WWF guy, but even WCW during that same time frame was amazing TV with the debut of Nitro and rise of the nWo. Great stuff all around.

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

My favorite year ever in wrestling. I've read that Lorne Michaels always says that people think the best SNL cast is whichever one was on while they were in high school, and I think the same might be true for wrestling and childhood. I mean, sure, I've seen plenty of incredible things in wrestling in the 21 years since, but there still isn't anything quite like seeimg everything you listed for the first time

I started watching wrestling in the peak of the Rock N Wrestling era in the mid-80s. I was in my late teens/early 20s during the '96 Bret return/rise of the Attitude Era. I still consider Bret's return at Survivor Series '96 through the crowing of Steve Austin at WM 14 my favorite time in wrestling. I've always been a WWF guy, but even WCW during that same time frame was amazing TV with the debut of Nitro and rise of the nWo. Great stuff all around.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

The Library of Congress will be live-streaming John Cena reading from his new children's book, which sounds like The Little Monster Truck That Could. 

Friday at 10:30 EST

via the LOC's Facebook

I wonder if Cena has a voice for the truck like his hamper voice.

Maybe he figured the only way Nikki would understand the two hamper concept was using an Adam Sandler-like voice.

• Haha 2

The other guy on the FMW podcast that's not BAHU said he heard Onita mention he was invited to be a guest for this past WrestleMania.

Onita gonna Onita.

6 minutes ago, Edwin said:

The other guy on the FMW podcast that's not BAHU said he heard Onita mention he was invited to be a guest for this past WrestleMania.

Onita gonna Onita.

God bless that crazy bastard. 

Let's face it, a Wrestlemania with Onita and Mr. Pogo in the main event would have been the best thing ever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Oh without a doubt was Bret's return @ SS96 through the Montreal Screwjob the best year WWF ever had creatively.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OSJ said:

Good call! Hogan/Mutoh and Hogan/Hansen in Japan were pretty sweet as well. I've long defended Hogan as someone who could, (when he felt like it) work a hell of a good match. The NA audiences wanted the hulk-up, big boot and leg drop so that's what they got. The Japanese fans wouldn't have stood for such nonsense, so they got a good match.

It's totally a case of Hogan being smart enough to play to the market. Hogan in Japan is better than Flair in Japan. It's clear as day that Flair only knew how to work one way. Hogan could go, and he could work a csptivating match when the audience called for it. 

I just would have loved to seen a Hogan vs Jumbo. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wyld Samurai said:

It's totally a case of Hogan being smart enough to play to the market. Hogan in Japan is better than Flair in Japan. It's clear as day that Flair only knew how to work one way. Hogan could go, and he could work a csptivating match when the audience called for it. 

I just would have loved to seen a Hogan vs Jumbo. 

Arguably the greatest wrestler of our lifetime against a smart worker who could almost keep up with him? Yes, take all my money right now.

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Who does he think he is, Shinsuke Nakamura?

• Like 1

Hogan didn't really get totally bogged down in his strict formula until a year or more into his first WWF reign. After that, actual good matches were rare, but he could bust it out whenever he felt it was necessary well into the 90's.

• Like 1

My favorite match might Vince vs Hogan at Mania 19. It had one hell of a backstory and build (Hulkamania, Vince and Hogan changing the game in the 80's, Hogan testifying against Vince, nWo, WCW almost beating Vince, Hogan at the forefront of that), tons of fucking blood, a ladder, Pipering showing up out of nowhere. What is there not to like about that match.

• Like 1

The formula is less the fact that Hogan wasn't good and more: Hulk Hogan was a natural born entertainer who knew enough to give the people what they wanted.

It's not Hogan's fault that for most of his prime, the people were just happy to be in the same room as Hulk Hogan...and even in the Kidman feud or his 2002 run in WWE, Hogan was able to pull out a little bit more to try and work the modern style.

Also, definite co-sign on November 96-November 97 being my favorite stretch in wrestling history. It probably is a lot of the "I was 15" thing, but I think history kinda bears it out, at least to some degree. WCW was firing on all cylinders and the nWo hadn't really gotten stale yet, WWF was behind but absolutely on fire with some of the hottest crowds ever. 98 did more business, but the things that ended the era were already showing up that year. But 97 was just fucking awesome.

• Like 1

I'm another on the SS96-SS97 being the best year in WWF history train. I was 15 at the time, and we didn't have sky, so a friend of mine used to tape Raw and Nitro for me every week and bring it in to school for me. I remember rushing home from school on those days to watch wrestling. I'm a huge Bret fan, so the Hart Foundation was like manna from heaven for me, but I was super into Nitro too. I especially remember staying up way past my bedtime to watch Canadian Stampede and marking the fuck out when the Foundation won, trying not to wake my mum up. Nothing in wrestling could ever replace those memories.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Web Conn said:

My favorite match might Vince vs Hogan at Mania 19. It had one hell of a backstory and build (Hulkamania, Vince and Hogan changing the game in the 80's, Hogan testifying against Vince, nWo, WCW almost beating Vince, Hogan at the forefront of that), tons of fucking blood, a ladder, Pipering showing up out of nowhere. What is there not to like about that match.

Aigh, you're right it's the perfect pro-wrestling storyline too. Never to be repeated. Fuck Hogan hitting an enzuigiri and axe bomber on Muta (*****), I'd much rather he had a test of strength with Mr McMahon and then kill him off with three leg drops