DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

21 minutes ago, Edwin said:

If I were going on great matches my "racist idol"* had, nothing from Japan would likely make my top ten. Beyond the Hansen match. 

I picked the Giant match as his best performance, because he was almost working alone. Bumping and selling to get over an unknown as a super star. Which is not to insult Big Show. With his experience level, he could not have done much to contribute, beyond looking scary. 

*Some guy here.

A very young wrestler by the name of Shawn Phoenix was injured badly at an IWC show last night. Shawn went to do a flip from the top rope to a guy outside the ring and missed and hit his head on the guardrail. It was easily one of the scariest things I have seen live. The ambulance was called and police and medical staff came in and finally stretchered him out. Shawn originally tweeted it was a cracked skull, but now has spinal fluid leaking out his ears.  Keeping him in my prayers and asking everyone do the same. I remember him being a young kid sitting front row at shows and I am sure Jeff Gorman remembers him as well.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sort of wrestling related since it involves Insane Clown Posse, but too good not to share:

https://musicmayhemmagazine.com/shaggy-2-dope-of-insane-clown-posse-attempts-to-dropkick-limp-bizkit-front-man-fred-durst-on-stage/

Sometimes, life really does reward our patience. I was having a bad day, and this cheered me right the hell up

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, #BlueJustice said:

Sometimes, life really does reward our patience. I was having a bad day, and this cheered me right the hell up

Glad to help.

To top it all of, that's a pretty shitty lineup. Hey, Fozzy was on the bill as well. I know somebody that went for Gwar and ended up breaking his foot in the pit. I had my Gwar experience back in 2005 when Orderus Urungus was still alive.

• Like 2

Of all the moves you could try to hit on someone from behind, in a situation where they didn't know it was coming, why would you go for a Dropkick? Especially if you were a big heavy guy with not much in the way of hops. Fucking Yakuza kick him or something. Dangerous Backdrop muthafukka. Bloody Dropkick idiot. Your name ain't Murphy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Of all the moves you could try to hit on someone from behind, in a situation where they didn't know it was coming, why would you go for a Dropkick? Especially if you were a big heavy guy with not much in the way of hops. Fucking Yakuza kick him or something. Dangerous Backdrop muthafukka. Bloody Dropkick idiot. Your name ain't Murphy.

Are you trying to apply logic to Shaggy 2 Dope? The dude can't figure out a magnet, you had to know his thought process wasn't great.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

He should have just tried to gore Durst. I'm amazed at how many people still pay to see Limp Bizkit. I guess it's like the Undertaker nostalgia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Dangerous Backdrop muthafukka. Bloody Dropkick idiot. Your name ain't Murphy.

That would have been perfect! Well, probably not because it's a member of ICP trying it, but a capable wrestler hitting it on Fred Durst would be perfect.

• Like 1

Hope that kid is okay. I get scared watching my local indy and see guys trying ladder bumps. I know one night two guys had concussions. Not trying to mother hen guys. But it is unnerving. Maybe its just being near 40, that voice that use to go "AWESOME" now goes "That is dangerous." 

At least on new wrestling. Stuff from the late 90s is grandfathered. I know its dangerous but it is hardwired to my youth. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 1:04 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I was at that show. I remember Punk going after some asshole fan who grabbed him or something like that. 

When I first saw your post my first thought was "which show" because I think Punk went after fans in ROH like half a dozen different times (I still remember the one at the Rexplex I was at).

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

How the hell is Limp Bizkit headlining ANYTHING in 2018?

The nostalgia train has reached the 90s, that's how.

Nostalgia is a strange thing. While I don't care about Limp Bizkit, and not to compare the two on artistic merits either, but as a 90s kid I still don't get paying 4 figures for the fckng mumified Stones in 2018...

Or bald, trailer-trash Shawn Michaels still coming out to sexy boy for that matter.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 9:39 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That seems very likely. I watched equally salty Austin Aries go off on a fan at the Inman Sports Club in Edison, NJ because the fan simply told Aries "good match". Aries response was something along the lines of "You're not a wrestler, how do you know what makes a good match?". 

I get the wrestler mentality around this stuff somewhat... but this approach is bullshit. I can definitely tell a wrestler whether his match was good or not because it either is or isn't, it's when 'psychology' and 'spots' get brought into the equation when I think a wrestler has a right to say 'what the fuck do you know, you smark"

• Like 1

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that we are actually talking about totally different things than wrestlers and it's nearly impossible to clarify without using a lot of words. We're basically saying:

"As someone who has viewed hundreds or thousands of matches with an attentive, critical eye, and as someone who is part of a community and tradition that has been analyzing these matches, as viewers, for decades, I've developed consistent criteria for what makes a match good or bad, and moreover, what elements that a wrestler may possess or choose to utilize that makes him a good or bad wrestler. For the ease of classification, organization, and the aforementioned analysis, I, and the community as a whole, have decided to appropriate a number of business terms, of which we have evolved shared uses for that may not be entirely consistent with their initial use. While we can never fully get inside the truth of what happens in a match, we can judge the overall effect of it as a viewer, and ultimately, patterns of performances of specific wrestlers over time."

So again, we don't always know who's calling what or what the intention behind something was, but if we see the same trend in dozens of matches with the same wrestler, then there's probably something going on there.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That would have been perfect! Well, probably not because it's a member of ICP trying it, but a capable wrestler hitting it on Fred Durst would be perfect.

I would hit the guy with Destino, but that's just me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

A very young wrestler by the name of Shawn Phoenix was injured badly at an IWC show last night. Shawn went to do a flip from the top rope to a guy outside the ring and missed and hit his head on the guardrail. It was easily one of the scariest things I have seen live. The ambulance was called and police and medical staff came in and finally stretchered him out. Shawn originally tweeted it was a cracked skull, but now has spinal fluid leaking out his ears.  Keeping him in my prayers and asking everyone do the same. I remember him being a young kid sitting front row at shows and I am sure Jeff Gorman remembers him as well.

I was privileged to announce some of his matches with Cleveland Knights Championship Wresting, and I got to produce a backstage segment with Barbarian putting Shawn over to Eric Bischoff. It's great to see how far he's come, literally from out of the crowd. I'm praying for his recovery.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

It’s basically a King of the Ring thing for WWE Presents Saudi Blood Money II.

Saudi Blood Money II is a way better name than Crown Jewel

Sounds like a Westside Gunn mixtape.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that we are actually talking about totally different things than wrestlers and it's nearly impossible to clarify without using a lot of words. We're basically saying:

"As someone who has viewed hundreds or thousands of matches with an attentive, critical eye, and as someone who is part of a community and tradition that has been analyzing these matches, as viewers, for decades, I've developed consistent criteria for what makes a match good or bad, and moreover, what elements that a wrestler may possess or choose to utilize that makes him a good or bad wrestler. For the ease of classification, organization, and the aforementioned analysis, I, and the community as a whole, have decided to appropriate a number of business terms, of which we have evolved shared uses for that may not be entirely consistent with their initial use. While we can never fully get inside the truth of what happens in a match, we can judge the overall effect of it as a viewer, and ultimately, patterns of performances of specific wrestlers over time."

So again, we don't always know who's calling what or what the intention behind something was, but if we see the same trend in dozens of matches with the same wrestler, then there's probably something going on there.

Or you could go the other way and it's the very first match someone ever saw, they enjoyed it, so it was a "good match". Which means it was, to them. Which makes them right.  And I'll second someone above in saying that criticizing someone who compliments you is very, very strange behavior. 

• Like 1