DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

Watching Onita's 100th retirement from last October. What a mess. It's Onita, Shingo Takagi & KAI vs. Kazuyuki Fujita, Kendo Kashin & NOSAWA Rongai in a street fight scramble bunhkouse barbed wire board death match in front of a jam packed Korkauen Hall crowd.

Onita has a massive beer belly (even more so than the one he cultivated previously). Fujita is no selling everything. A ton of uncooperative brawling. People getting misted. Onita hitting stunners and hitting people on the head with boards left and right. The crowd is all around the ring and surrounding everyone whenever they come out of the ring to brawl. Just utter madness that makes those Onita Pro main events from the past look tame.

20 stars.

Kendo Kashin, the infamous Dragon Soldier B. What a disaster ROH's Best of the Super Juniors turned into. Rightly, Gabe stopped working with New Japan after that, and we got the working relationships with Dragon Gate and NOAH. The worst part? New Japan strong-arms Gabe into Dragon Soldier B winning, then he's not even in the Best of the Super Juniors. Unfortunately, Delirious is perfectly happy with ROH being New Japan's AAA affiliate. You know it's bad when Adam Pearce's booking tenure is better than yours. It's really sad ROH hasn't had a decent booker in 10 years.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I had to look up the card for It Ain't Seinfeld. I had the tape because because I used to buy from RF in the late 90s-early 2000s. Nothing particularly stands out to me about the show.

So it's basically a show about nothing, which pretty much is Seinfeld (or so I was told, I've only seen maybe two episodes)

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Kendo Kashin, the infamous Dragon Soldier B. What a diaster ROH's Best of the Super Juniors turned into. Rightly, Gabe stopped working with New Japan after that, and we got the working relationships with Dragon Gate and NOAH. The worst part? New Japan strong-arms Gabe into Dragon Soldier B winning, then he's not even in the Best of the Super Juniors. Unfortunately, Delirious is perfectly happy with ROH being New Japan's AAA affiliate. You know it's bad when Adam Pearce's booking tenure is better than yours. It's really sad ROH hasn't had a decent booker in 10 years.

Holy shit that motherfucking show.  I was there for that and the rest of the card was great.  But anything with Dragon Solder B killed the crowd and still annoys me a bit thinking about him.  But at least I saw Jimmy Jacobs going all Berserker so it was awesome going all "Huss!" on his theme and during the match.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I was at that show. I remember Punk going after some asshole fan who grabbed him or something like that. 

Holy shit talk about a small world!  Before that Punk had a cheese grater rubbed on his stomach (I guess their attempt to take out his "Straight Edge" tattoo)  So on his way out some joker yelled "Why aren't you selling the cheese grater?!" and that's what set off Punk.  Don't know what happened to the heckler but that was/is Punk for ya.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2018 at 1:55 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You know, I was going to write "the asshole Shawn Michaels is", but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe being born again is legit and he may actually have become a better person. Although, I'm very skeptical about that.

Absolutely there was a massive transformation when he was born again, he went from a petulant asshole with a huge sense of entitlement to a petulant asshole with a huge sense of entitlement who loves him some Jeebus. That's progress!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't think I've seen a Flair/Hennig match that I really enjoyed very much, which is not to say that I necessarily think your pick is crazy. Much like Hennig and Michaels, I always expected more from their matches than I ended up getting. 

I think Bret Hart is Hennig's best non-Portland opponent by miles. 

It's funny how some guys end up working well together and other guys that seem like a natural pairing don't... You could see Bret against any of AJPW's Four Aces as being a disaster waiting to happen, there's just no way that Bret was going to work well with that bunch. Now on paper, Flair/Hennig seems like it would blow the roof off and Flair/Steamboat you figure would be just okay... But who underdelivered and who put on classics? By that same token, you would figure Bret/Hennig to be a clash of styles that wouldn't be very good, and as you say, Bret was his best opponent outside of the Portland territory (though Nick Bockwinkel certainly merits a mention playing the role of crafty old veteran trying to hang on for one last ride against fired-up usurper). 

I know he gets praised to the moon around here, but I have never "got" Shawn Michaels as this god of wrestling. The dude does way too much annoying shit to take me out of the match. His human pinball routine is overselling at its worst, especially when after bouncing all over the place like a demented dervish, he returns to the match seemingly having suffered no ill effects from the blows that bounced him around like a tennis ball being served by Serena Williams. Oh yeah, when you routinely miss your finishing move by over a foot, do something else... 

Of course, I have someone relatively new to bitch about for many of the same reasons as Shawn Michaels... Kenny Omega seems hell-bent on reminding me that I am watching something contrived and not real... But I digress, I'll bring my full criticism of Omega next time Dave gives out six * for his antics.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Holy shit talk about a small world!  Before that Punk had a cheese grater rubbed on his stomach (I guess their attempt to take out his "Straight Edge" tattoo)  So on his way out some joker yelled "Why aren't you selling the cheese grater?!" and that's what set off Punk.  Don't know what happened to the heckler but that was/is Punk for ya.

The other thing I'll never forget from that show was that these two guys sitting behind us started making fun of Fast Eddie being blind, and were yelling shit about it. After a bit I turned around and pointed out that Eddie's Dad was sitting next to me. It was hilarious watching them shrivel into their seats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Before that Punk had a cheese grater rubbed on his stomach (I guess their attempt to take out his "Straight Edge" tattoo)  So on his way out some joker yelled "Why aren't you selling the cheese grater?!" and that's what set off Punk.  Don't know what happened to the heckler but that was/is Punk for ya.

LOL, this is so hilariously random to me.  Like, why would a dude yammering about a cheese grater set Punk off?  If the dude did the "Is your refrigerator running?  You better go catch it" joke, would that also set him off?  If fans ask him what model of juicer Punk uses, does that bring up unpleasant memories of a difficult trip to Sears? 

It's not even an insult, lol.  I guess it's a good thing no one asked Punk if his pen is out of ink.  That would have really sent him into a rage.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Player One said:

LOL, this is so hilariously random to me.  Like, why would a dude yammering about a cheese grater set Punk off?  If the dude did the "Is your refrigerator running?  You better go catch it" joke, would that also set him off?  If fans ask him what model of juicer Punk uses, does that bring up unpleasant memories of a difficult trip to Sears? 

It's not even an insult, lol.  I guess it's a good thing no one asked Punk if his pen is out of ink.  That would have really sent him into a rage.

I've listening to too many Punk interviews over the years and think I have an idea. Take it with a grain of salt obviously.

Punk's gotten salty on the record multiple times about fans using insider language. "Selling" seems like a word that would deeply annoy him coming from a fan. Couple that with implied criticism and a perpetually bug-infested ass. and BOOM: Petty freak-out achieved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I've listening to too many Punk interviews over the years and think I have an idea. Take it with a grain of salt obviously.

Punk's gotten salty on the record multiple times about fans using insider language. "Selling" seems like a word that would deeply annoy him coming from a fan. Couple that with implied criticism and a perpetually-bug-infested ass. and BOOM: Petty freak-out achieved. 

That seems very likely. I watched equally salty Austin Aries go off on a fan at the Inman Sports Club in Edison, NJ because the fan simply told Aries "good match". Aries response was something along the lines of "You're not a wrestler, how do you know what makes a good match?". I love Austin Aries as a wrestler, but I have no desire to ever to meet him and try to strike up a conversation. I hate that mentality. I would get in so much fucking trouble if I tried to pull something like that. "Well, it really doesn't look like my father." Your father was being eaten away by cancer. Can you do any better?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would get in so much fucking trouble if I tried to pull something like that. "Well, it really doesn't look like my father." Your father was being eaten away by cancer. Can you do any better?

You don't have to talk to Aries at all, he can probably feel that burn from here. 

And that is such a bullshit self-justification, "you aren't a wrestler". Motherfucker we paid to watch you, that doesn't make it 100% in our favor, but it gives us some say in the matter ya prick.

• Like 1

One last thing about Erik Watts. The reason his WCW push died on it's arse so badly was, the series of events that goes: WCW gives legendary Wrestler the book, he immediately signs his own son to a deal, and then puts the kid on telly with a strong babyface push... already happened two years earlier, with Dusty Rhodes and young Dustin. And that time it worked, firstly because Dusty was a legend to those fans in a way Cowboy Bill wasn't, and secondly because Dustin's push was done in a more sympathetic way. Dustin was pushed as an overenthusiastic rookie who got beaten down a lot and made fiery comebacks, whilst Erik was a dominant frontrunner babyface (despite being too green at the time to control a match with his offence).

Wrestlers need to step up their name game in American. In Japan we've had some classics like the White African, the Great Punk and the Body Snatcher.

Was channel surfing this morning while half-watching the WWE Australia show on my laptop.  Panned by WGN America and found something called RingWarriors.  Apparently it's an indy out of Las Vegas with some sort of TV deal.   Bunch of local guys I have never heard of and a few national indy guys.  Wes Briscoe, Jeff Cobb, Austin Aries, and Eli Drake are the names I recognized.

I'm kinda intrigued by the idea of another indy with a tv deal but everything about this was minor league.  The couple matches were very basic and entirely average.  There was a really dull, heatless brawl between two heel (?) teams that the announcers tried to sell as wild and out of control.  Not sure they watched the same footage I did.  I am sorta interested in the idea of a team calling itself the Slambinos managed by Disco Inferno.

I dunno.  It's free cable and it's on at 8 Am Saturday, a time slot I'm normally home for and not that busy, but I don't fell like I'm missing anything if I don't watch it again.