DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sid's an old, out-of-touch dummy, sure. But what moron asks him that question? Who cares what Sid thinks about Paige? 

Gross. 

I'm more curious about the interviewer's thought process. Sid had a 30 year career and has worked just about everywhere with all the top guys, and the interviewer asks about him about Paige. I'd like to know what potential questions didn't make the cut. The cherry on top of this shit sundae; Sid has seen the Paige video.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are we only counting when someone left a promotion/territory and never came back?

Otherwise, you have various Lawler/Dundee LLT matches. 

Yeah, I'm thinking more like the loser had to actually leave the promotion for another one for at least some amount of time. 

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nash left WWF coming off arguably the best match of his career in the NHB against Michaels. 

This match holds up exceptionally well years later even after the concept of a hardcore match in the U.S. has been taken far beyond what they did in this match. I'm actually okay with Michaels popping up after the powerbomb because he was trying to embody that superhero face that just doesn't sell sometimes in the WWF/E mold. 

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I've always had a soft spot for Flair vs Hennig. 

I don't think I've seen a Flair/Hennig match that I really enjoyed very much, which is not to say that I necessarily think your pick is crazy. Much like Hennig and Michaels, I always expected more from their matches than I ended up getting. 

I think Bret Hart is Hennig's best non-Portland opponent by miles. 

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Jeff Hardy Vs CM Punk, loser leaves town cage match.

This was pretty good. 

Had to go and look up the NHB match. Hilariously, the dark matches that aired AFTER that match were Savio/Austin, HHH/Mero, and Taker/Mankind. That's right, Vince left Austin, Foley, and Aytch off the PPV and Taker only showed up in an interview. Way to utilize that talent during a promotional war Vince! 

This was already in the indie thread but it covers a lot of ground

Pete Dunne may have suffered a severe injury.

He was pulled off the Destiny Wrestling shows this weekend and when making the announcement, Destiny said the injury was "severe" and that WWE would be making an announcement shortly.

Mind you - Dunne just celebrated his 500th day as UK champ

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

I believe Meltzer said it’s a foot injury and they’ll announce it after next week’s NXT probably.

You are right about the foot injury as I just rescanned the WON and Dave mentions it when recapping the Dunne/Ilja Dragunov match

On 10/2/2018 at 10:07 PM, SorceressKnight said:

BEST: Bret Hart.  It's a close one between Bret and Terry Funk, but I personally give the edge to Bret because he was relatively lower on the totem pole in Stampede and had most of his success outside the family business- a very good sign of "this person didn't solely get where they were by nepotism"

WORST: George Gulas. There's been bad owner's kids. There's been terrible owners' kids. There haven't been many who singlehandedly killed their territory solely because all the fans said "We're never going to get rid of this asshole. Because he's the promoter's son, we're stuck with him if we want to see wrestling." "Well, then maybe we don't WANT to see wrestling anymore!"

MOST OVERRATED: Charlotte Flair. She's good- very good- but not as good as she's been sold as. She's the weakest of the Horsewomen, and while that is very good, it's still not good enough for the "she's got to be top woman in the company, and only her, forever and ever."

MOST UNDERRATED:  Erik Watts. He's always maligned as one of the worst of the owners' kids due to his Jesus push in WCW and that terrible dropkick, but eventually Watts's work in TNA was a net positive for the company, meaning that he at least got to the point where it was conceivably possible to use Watts effectively in a national wrestling promotion. It just brings him up from stinko to smelly, but at least he's not one of the WORST.

I'm dragging this along because I agree with almost all of it.

BEST: I'd say Eddie Guerrero needs to be in the conversation as do Rey Rey, and the late, great Mr. Perfect. The fact that you can say "Hennig" now and people will talk about Curt as opposed to his father. You have to be pretty damn good to bump Larry "The Ax" Hennig out of the conversation.

WORST: How bad was this useless fuck? There's only one thing worse than killing a territory that I can think of. This clown made a tag-team with Bobby Eaton suck. Think about that for a minute... You are so bad that when paired with the greatest tag-team wrestler to ever walk the surface of God's green Earth that you single-handedly make the team suck. How bad do you have to be to make a team with Bobby Eaton suck? 

MOST OVERRATED: You're probably right. It's not her fault that one brother has no interest in the business and the brother that was being groomed to be Nature Boy 2.0 had a fondness for heroin. She stepped up to the plate and surprised everyone by hoe good she became so quickly. Unfortunately, women's wrestling in the English-speaking world is just getting better and better. With women like Bianca Belair on the horizon Charlotte will have to find that next level within herself for be relegated to the Nattie Neidhart role in two years.

MOST UNDERRATED: Erik Watts is a good choice, I actually think he was perfectly acceptable mid-card fodder when he got to TNA. Just for variety, I'm going to toss out the name of a guy who actively sucked and didn't care for much of his career until seemingly a light went on ten years ago and he realized the legacy he was fucking up and worked his ass off to become a decent worker... Blue Demon jr. (yeah, I know they aren't related by blood, but there's some connection more than just paying to use the name.) Yeah, Blue Demon jr. surprised me, because talk about a guy who coasted on his mask for most of his career, even demanding (and getting) bigger paydays for no other reason than he could say "I'm the Blue Demon, bitch!" No, you aren't the Blue Demon on the best day you ever had, but in the last ten years you've shown that you care about your craft and you've gone a long way to correct the mistakes of the past.

WORST COULD HAVE BEEN:  I don't know about the rest of you, but I was in tears when Ricky told the world that Richie Steamboat would never wrestle again. The kid had it all, he could work, he could talk and he was versatile enough that he could have done the one thing his dad never did, do a heel turn and slowly drag out a redemption  angle that would blow the roof off the joint when he turned face again. But just like that, at age 26 it was over, severe back injury and he would never wrestle again. It's been five years and wrestling has certainly survived if not thrived without him but I can't help but think that pro wrestling would be a lot better with Richie Steamboat in it than not.

• Like 1

@OSJ We were talking about Promoters' kids, not just second generation wrestlers in general. Opening that up is a far more wide ranging conversation. Now third generation wrestlers, that's a small pool to dive into. But an interesting one.

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nash left WWF coming off arguably the best match of his career in the NHB against Michaels. 

That's a really great match but for me personally, Nash's best has got to be the Bret match from Survivor Series. Ill give the NHB a rewatch this weekend though because honestly, I've only seen it one other time since it aired and that was like three or four years ago already, so you could be totally right

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

You are right about the foot injury as I just rescanned the WON and Dave mentions it when recapping the Dunne/Ilja Dragunov match

Only thing I could think of that would qualify as "Severe" would be a broken foot/ankle or a torn Achilles. (Or plantar tears, but that could be career threatening, and Dunne is way too young for that)

Just terrible news.  

Watching Onita's 100th retirement from last October. What a mess. It's Onita, Shingo Takagi & KAI vs. Kazuyuki Fujita, Kendo Kashin & NOSAWA Rongai in a street fight scramble bunhkouse barbed wire board death match in front of a jam packed Korkauen Hall crowd.

Onita has a massive beer belly (even more so than the one he cultivated previously). Fujita is no selling everything. A ton of uncooperative brawling. People getting misted. Onita hitting stunners and hitting people on the head with boards left and right. The crowd is all around the ring and surrounding everyone whenever they come out of the ring to brawl. Just utter madness that makes those Onita Pro main events from the past look tame.

20 stars.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

@OSJ We were talking about Promoters' kids, not just second generation wrestlers in general. Opening that up is a far more wide ranging conversation. Now third generation wrestlers, that's a small pool to dive into. But an interesting one.

Oh, my apologies. Flair threw me off, I always forget that he and BJ had a territory once upon a time. Well, limiting it to promoter's kids, I'd say you guys nailed it. I would bring up Larry Oliver if I had any proof that Rip owned a piece of Portland. Don Owen sure let him be booked as though he did. I brought Rip up in the mediocre wrestlers thread and had blocked out how terrible his son actually was. He looked like that tub of goo who was on your high school football team simply because he was big and could get in way of opposing offenses. Having him do anything more athletic than that would be a stretch. That's what Oliver's kid looked like and that's exactly how he wrestled. Like I said, Ripper must have owned a piece of the territory or he had pictures of Don Owen doing horrible things at the zoo in order to get his kid a gig with the company.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I had to look up the card for It Ain't Seinfeld. I had the tape because because I used to buy from RF in the late 90s-early 2000s. Nothing particularly stands out to me about the show.

The best tape or vid associated with RF remains the one that Bix made for this very board...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

WORST COULD HAVE BEEN:  I don't know about the rest of you, but I was in tears when Ricky told the world that Richie Steamboat would never wrestle again. The kid had it all, he could work, he could talk and he was versatile enough that he could have done the one thing his dad never did, do a heel turn and slowly drag out a redemption  angle that would blow the roof off the joint when he turned face again. But just like that, at age 26 it was over, severe back injury and he would never wrestle again. It's been five years and wrestling has certainly survived if not thrived without him but I can't help but think that pro wrestling would be a lot better with Richie Steamboat in it than not.

He had a brief run as a heel at the end of FCW's run. It wasn't very convincing, but IIRC, he was suddenly a face again when they switched to NXT, so he didn't really get much of a chance to develop the character work before his back gave up on him. It's a shame, because he had potential to be a really good wrestler.