DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

If you're using "who had the best matches of who" as an example, shouldn't degree of difficulty also be considered when weighing it?

Like, for the Horsewomen example- whether you think Sasha or Charlotte's Asuka match was better, having a great match with Asuka wouldn't be the same achievement as "Bayley managing to pull an eminently watchable, molten-hot, and genuinely fun match out of Eva Marie." Asuka is a very good wrestler and any very good performer can probably have a good match with her, while getting a good match out of Eva Marie could count as the first miracle needed for sainthood.

• Like 4

Per Meltzer (and unsurprisingly really) - the WWE is trademarking all the old names from WCW, WCCW, etc... not really to use them but to keep other people from doing so since they are pissed that MLW trademarked War Games

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer (and unsurprisingly really) - the WWE is trademarking all the old names from WCW, WCCW, etc... not really to use them but to keep other people from doing so since they are pissed that MLW trademarked War Games

Several years ago, I was *this close* to getting DOA to use Halloween Havoc as a name since the trademark lapsed on it, but nothing doing - they stuck with their older Halloween Horrors name.

(October has a lot of alliterative names and they're all the same.  How many promotions have shows called Halloween Hell?)

1 minute ago, Michael Sweetser said:

God, if we shut down every indy show that outright copied old ECW show names, I don't think anyone would be running in North America.

I think a WCW Clash was first time I remember hearing it used. 

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Wasn't NXT called "War Games" and didn't they have a Takeover coming up called "War Games"?  They are changing the name now? 

WarGames - no space in between.

Charly Caruso has joined ESPN and will now be working with them and WWE.

While using her real name (Charly Arnolt), Caruso started in her on-air role with ESPN today. In a post on Instagram, Caruso confirmed that she's now an ESPN employee. She noted that she isn't leaving WWE and wrote that WWE is still her home.

"Charly Arnolt...ESPN. WHAAAAAT!!! Been waiting my whole life to say those 4 letters! So yep, here I am -- officially an ESPN employee! (No, I am NOT leaving WWE! That’s still my home and I am so happy there!)," Caruso wrote.

"I'll be doing a few things at ESPN from time to time for now, including SportsCenter updates and hosting the SportsCenter on Snapchat show. I’m still in disbelief. WWE + ESPN = KILLER COMBO! I am so incredible appreciative and fortunate for both of these wonderful opportunities! Check me out all day today and tomorrow doing SC updates!"

Caruso also worked in sports broadcasting before coming to WWE in 2016. She's currently an interviewer on Raw, hosts NXT TakeOver pre-show panels, and co-hosts This Week in WWE with Scott Stanford.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/charly-caruso-joins-espn-not-leaving-wwe-267131?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So, here's a weird question for thought: If you were going to put together a playlist of the best matches including someone who was clearly about to leave the territory or company and would be putting over their opponent on their way out, what would that playlist include?

And is the Jeff Jarrett/Chyna Good Housekeeping Match a) a good match in general and b) good enough to make your playlist? I haven't seen it in years, but I thought the last time that I saw it that it was a fantastic match in the context of the feud and the characters. 

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

God, if we shut down every indy show that outright copied old ECW show names, I don't think anyone would be running in North America.

Can’t speak for anyone else, but i’m willing to risk it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Plus - Court Bauer tweeted when MLW announced they got the trademark that they wouldn't prevent WWE from using just that they did it so they could use it.

Something is telling me WWE could fight this under prior art (ha!) but I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one on TV, the Internet or the Award-Winning WWE Network®

53 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Sid's an old, out-of-touch dummy, sure. But what moron asks him that question? Who cares what Sid thinks about Paige? 

Gross. 

What? Context?

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

So, here's a weird question for thought: If you were going to put together a playlist of the best matches including someone who was clearly about to leave the territory or company and would be putting over their opponent on their way out, what would that playlist include?

And is the Jeff Jarrett/Chyna Good Housekeeping Match a) a good match in general and b) good enough to make your playlist? I haven't seen it in years, but I thought the last time that I saw it that it was a fantastic match in the context of the feud and the characters. 

Nash left WWF coming off arguably the best match of his career in the NHB against Michaels. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm gonna leave it as a text link since the image (which doesn't appear in the actual video) is shitty.

WARNING: Bad language and general human grossness. 

Jesus we finally found someone who is a worse interviewer than Rob Feinstein. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I've always had a soft spot for Flair vs Hennig. 

• Like 2