DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

22 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

A little surprised it didn't happen sooner, but Daniel Bryan put up a few posts defending Brie.  Would need to click on the tweet to see the ones above it.

Scratch that, it's not a Twitter thread like I'm normally used to seeing.  But check his profile and he has a few tweets from today.

After reading his tweets, I don't think Bryan understands the problem.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

Because it came up in the Mediocre Wrestlers thread, CONTENT: PROMOTER'S SONS.

BEST: Tully Blanchard. One of the few promoter's kids to have enjoyed his greatest career success outside the family promotion, a great worker, a fantastic natural heel, a good talker. Everything you could want. He was in a stable with Ric Flair in the 80s and wasn't overshadowed, he was that good. Best by a mile.

WORST: Shane McMahon. Terrible punches, always booked as stronger than actual Wrestlers, does high falls from dangerous places and doesn't sell them long term. Has no physique to speak of, which is unforgivable in that gene pool. Take a 25 year old Shane McMahon, take his name away, and have him show up at the performance centre asking for a try out. Does he pass? Does he fuck. But he's outworking Kurt Angle on the mat. Fucking bullshit.

MOST OVERRATED: See, the over- and under-rated categories are tricky with such a small talent pool to discuss. So let's just extend it to include Sons-in-law and say Triple H is the most overrated Promoter's kid. Keep the streak alive.

MOST UNDERRATED: Bruce Hart. It can't have been easy, having been the best working Hart brother, and then having your younger siblings massively outshine everything you ever did.

I love Tully but hard to put him over either of the Funks or Eddy (maybe even Chavo Sr). 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

Because it came up in the Mediocre Wrestlers thread, CONTENT: PROMOTER'S SONS

Imagine what a fun discussion this could be once we get past all the "hey, don't you guys just HATE the McMahons?"

• Like 1

Bruce?

And the other brothers name was Bruce, right? Now isn't that a stupid name? You got 9 months and you come up with Bruce.

21 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Imagine what a fun discussion this could be once we get past all the "hey, don't you guys just HATE the McMahons?"

Well, I opened it up with the McMahon hatepost, so give us your best/worst  etc list, and the fun part of the discussion can begin. Obviously Daughters count as well as Sons, and Sons-in-law are OK, but Grandkids are out. Children of bookers who weren't promoters to be included at your discretion.

Greg Gagne was more than passable. His dad tried to push him too hard as a singles wrestler at the finish, but the High Flyers were awesome.

Worst promoters kids: George Gulas, Erik Watts (who eventually became passable), Mike Von Erich.

• Like 1

What does overrated mean in this sense though? Talent level commensurate with push? Because sure, HHH was ridiculous from 2003-2005, but for me, that begins and ends with Jeff Jarrett (and I'm a big fan of his WWF stuff but late era WCW and Planet Jarrett era TNA was tough)

I heard They threw a ton of money to the Rock to work the Saudi Arabia show, Do you think he will eventually work one of those shows before their deal is up. 

I imagine he was offered a WM payday offer or higher, I imagine they offered Shawn an insane payday too because its not like Shawn has been eager to do another Match.

Do Carly Colón/Carlito Caribbean Cool or Eddie Colón/Primo Colón count? I never thought either was that great, albeit I've never seen much of eithers WWE runs, but Carlos Colón was great back in the 80's and he did huge business in Puerto Rico as a wrestler promoter at the time.

22 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Do Carly Colón/Carlito Caribbean Cool or Eddie Colón/Primo Colón count? I never thought either was that great, albeit I've never seen much of eithers WWE runs, but Carlos Colón was great back in the 80's and he did huge business in Puerto Rico as a wrestler promoter at the time.

I'd say mid to lower on the scale, closer to George Gulas than the Funks or whomever is top of the list. 

That said, who is missing from this list:

Shane/Steph, David Crockett, Mike Graham, the Fullers, Gulas, Jarrett, Brian Christopher, the Funks, the Guerreros, the Von Erichs, erik Watts, Tully, the Colons, the Rougeaus, the Harts, Greg Gagne. Rene Dupree? Barry when BJ and Flair owned Knoxville?

That's just children, not sons in law, which would include spike Huber, steve regal, larry z, davey boy, neidhart, ...

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'd say mid to lower on the scale, closer to George Gulas than the Funks or whomever is top of the list. 

That said, who is missing from this list:

Shane/Steph, David Crockett, Mike Graham, the Fullers, Gulas, Jarrett, Brian Christopher, the Funks, the Guerreros, the Von Erichs, erik Watts, Tully, the Colons, the Rougeaus, the Harts, Greg Gagne. Rene Dupree? Barry when BJ and Flair owned Knoxville?

That's just children, not sons in law, which would include spike Huber, steve regal, larry z, davey boy, neidhart, ...

Paige and her brothers, Dustin & Cody Rhodes (if you count Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling), Garrett Bischoff, maybe Wes Brisco (?)… Vince (Senior and Junior) technically count as well. Obviously we're discounting promoters who are also Wrestlers, like Baba and Inoki. But if the idea is benificiaries of nepotism, it's a wide window to look through.

BEST: Bret Hart.  It's a close one between Bret and Terry Funk, but I personally give the edge to Bret because he was relatively lower on the totem pole in Stampede and had most of his success outside the family business- a very good sign of "this person didn't solely get where they were by nepotism"

WORST: George Gulas. There's been bad owner's kids. There's been terrible owners' kids. There haven't been many who singlehandedly killed their territory solely because all the fans said "We're never going to get rid of this asshole. Because he's the promoter's son, we're stuck with him if we want to see wrestling." "Well, then maybe we don't WANT to see wrestling anymore!"

MOST OVERRATED: Charlotte Flair. She's good- very good- but not as good as she's been sold as. She's the weakest of the Horsewomen, and while that is very good, it's still not good enough for the "she's got to be top woman in the company, and only her, forever and ever."

MOST UNDERRATED:  Erik Watts. He's always maligned as one of the worst of the owners' kids due to his Jesus push in WCW and that terrible dropkick, but eventually Watts's work in TNA was a net positive for the company, meaning that he at least got to the point where it was conceivably possible to use Watts effectively in a national wrestling promotion. It just brings him up from stinko to smelly, but at least he's not one of the WORST.

• Like 1